LibreOffice Branding and Documentation

Next » 123 « Prev
yorick yorick

Re: LibreOffice Branding and Documentation

On Friday 05 Nov 2010 09:33:30 Jeff Prater wrote:
> I'm mainly a Windows user so I don't know much about fonts on Apple and
> Linux systems. Are there specific fonts that are installed on all three
> platforms? I'm sure Microsoft's Cambria font wouldn't be installed on a
> Linux system, but what about Arial, Times New Roman, or even Georgia?

These are MS licensed fonts, using them in free software manuals would be
suboptimal from a philosophical standpoint..

Deja Vu and Bitstream Vera families are installed by OOo, l presume therefore
libreO does the same.

cheers
GL

--
Graham Lauder,

INGOTs Assessor Trainer
(International Grades in Open Technologies)
www.theingots.org

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-11-05 14:46, Jeff Prater a écrit :

>> In these cases, I think that it is always best to suggest to the user to
>> install rather than have a programme install it for you without your
>> permission. The user should always be in charge.
>>
>> Are you on a Windows box?
>>

> I don't understand the "permission" aspect of having LibreOffice install
> fonts automatically. If a user is voluntarily installing the program, then
> they should accept whatever modifications the program performs. If would be
> one thing if LibreOffice was installing a virus--it's simply installing
> fonts which provide for a better user experience. It seems like it would
> make sense for it to install free, open source fonts, especially if the
> documentation is going to use a font other users may not have. We use
> OpenOffice exclusively in my organization, and I can honestly tell you not a
> single computer (300 of them) has the Liberation fonts installed. If I
> wanted to distribute the documentation guide to my coworkers, they would not
> be able to view it in its entirety.
>
> And yes, I use Windows exclusively.
>
> Jeff

I guess it is OK if you have enough faith to let programmes install
fonts on their own. It's just that not every computer is the same. Some
people enjoy installing many fonts on their own, but I thought there was
a maximum amount that you could install on a windows machine, maybe I am
wrong. But what if there were and it caused your machine to fail?

IMO there should always be a warning window that will let a user accept
or not accept installation of "extras" and that the software should not
install any of these without user knowledge and permission.

Marc

jonathon-3 jonathon-3

Re: LibreOffice Branding and Documentation

vpanter vpanter

Re: LibreOffice Branding and Documentation

Hello Michael,

Op 4/11/2010 9:38, Michael Wheatland schreef:
> I have made a mock up document with the LibreOffice branding and colour scheme.
> It also includes the number outline system, which personally I love
> the professional look.
>
> https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B93nEslnhQO_YjAwMDE1ZDctNDM3MC00MTE0LTk5NDItNzlhZGFjNWQyODlh&hl=en&authkey=CKSL9MgJ
>
> What do you all think?
It is nice to have the LibreOffice green in the documentation, but do
not exagerate on the use of other colours. I noticed 4 shades of blue in
the text, and the screenshots might still have another shade of blue. It
looks to me that various types of fonts have been used as well, which,
in my opinion, should be minimised.

Just my 2 €cents

Best regards

--

Leo Moons
LibreOffice

Nous sommes condamnés à être libres

Carlos Jenkins Carlos Jenkins

Re: LibreOffice Branding and Documentation

Hi everyone,

2010/11/5 jonathon <[hidden email]>

> b) Can their OS survive the addition of fonts?

How many fonts can be installed in Win7 before it blows up?  I don't

> remember the number, but it is low enough that people can, and do hit
> the limit, just by installing additional non-MS software.
>
> Windows is not the only OS that can blow up, because too many fonts are
> installed. Admittedly, users have to work at installing fonts, for Linux
> to blow up.
>

> one thing if LibreOffice was installing a virus--it's simply installing
> fonts which provide for a better user experience. It seems like it would
>
> When an OS blows up because of too many fonts, the effect is the same as
> if the OS had been hit by a virus.

This is possible? Never heard about that :S I do a lot of graphic design and
I do have several hundred of fonts, really, and I never had problems with
it.

--
http://www.cjenkins.net/
http://csl-tec.softwarelibrecr.org/

Wheatbix Wheatbix

Re: LibreOffice Branding and Documentation

I would strongly support LibreOffice installing up to around 20 open
source fonts and I would love to see the Liberation and Droid fonts
added to the default install.

People are installing LibreOffice because of it's open and free
philosophy (or maybe just because it's cheap), so we should provide
the end user with an overall experience which encompasses the full
open source package, including fonts.
How would you feel if you were inspired by the open source office app,
installed it and realised that it relies on MS fonts?

If people's OS blows up they need to submit a bug, but I can't see it
happening from installing fonts.
http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2002/06/mission_impossible_submitting.html

Michael Wheatland

yorick yorick

On Saturday 06 Nov 2010 12:32:32 Carlos Jenkins wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> 2010/11/5 jonathon <[hidden email]>
>
> > b) Can their OS survive the addition of fonts?
>
> How many fonts can be installed in Win7 before it blows up?  I don't
>
> > remember the number, but it is low enough that people can, and do hit
> > the limit, just by installing additional non-MS software.
> >
> > Windows is not the only OS that can blow up, because too many fonts are
> > installed. Admittedly, users have to work at installing fonts, for Linux
> > to blow up.
> >

> > one thing if LibreOffice was installing a virus--it's simply installing
> > fonts which provide for a better user experience. It seems like it would
> >
> > When an OS blows up because of too many fonts, the effect is the same as
> > if the OS had been hit by a virus.
>
> This is possible? Never heard about that :S I do a lot of graphic design
> and I do have several hundred of fonts, really, and I never had problems
> with it.

Windows XP was around 600, then you need to install a font manager and yes
I've broken an XP install with too many fonts.  I've had just shy of a
thousand in linux without any issues with the OS, Inkscape and the GIMP
occasionally have given problems which possibly could be tracked to having a
lot of fonts, but not definitively.

Cheers
GL

Larry Gusaas Larry Gusaas

On 2010/11/05 5:59 PM  Michael Wheatland wrote:
> I would strongly support LibreOffice installing up to around 20 open
> source fonts and I would love to see the Liberation and Droid fonts
> added to the default install.

The Mac versions of LibreOffice and OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 include DejaVu, Gentium, and
Liberation fonts. LibreOffice also has Libertine and Biolinum fonts.

      Larry I. Gusaas

*Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan   Canada
Website:   http://larry-gusaas.com
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." - Edgard Varese *

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: LibreOffice Branding and Documentation

Le 2010-11-05 20:05, Graham Lauder a écrit :

If we are going to have LibreOffice install fonts, then we should have
the user approve it through the installation process.

The Liberation fonts were created to replace the MS fonts on Linux
boxes. I believe that these are normally installed on Linux so it's less
of an issue there.  I am not sure if this would clash with the installer
if there are different versions of the fonts. Devs would have to be
involved obviously to make all of this work.

I don't think that MS would ever consider having the Liberation fonts
appear on their installs.

Marc

Jeff Prater Jeff Prater

Re: LibreOffice Branding and Documentation

After spending 5-10 minutes searching the Internet for Windows font limits,
I was not able to find anything other than some older forum posts. I was
hoping to find something from Microsoft's website. If there were a limit to
the number of fonts that can be installed on a Windows XP or newer machine,
I'm sure something would've been listed in the search results. The only
Windows versions with font limitations were Windows NT/9x/ME, and I don't
think many people are running those still.

I agree with Michael--I'd like to see LibreOffice install a variety of open
source fonts.

jonathon-3 jonathon-3

Re: LibreOffice Branding and Documentation

Ron Faile Ron Faile

On 11/5/2010 10:14 PM, Jeff Prater wrote:

> After spending 5-10 minutes searching the Internet for Windows font limits,
> I was not able to find anything other than some older forum posts. I was
> hoping to find something from Microsoft's website. If there were a limit to
> the number of fonts that can be installed on a Windows XP or newer machine,
> I'm sure something would've been listed in the search results. The only
> Windows versions with font limitations were Windows NT/9x/ME, and I don't
> think many people are running those still.
>
> I agree with Michael--I'd like to see LibreOffice install a variety of open
> source fonts.

There is an interesting article on about.com that states the following:

*How many fonts is too many?*
When you can no longer install more fonts you definitely have too many.
As a general rule of thumb, you can expect to run into installation
problems with 800-1000 or more installed fonts. In practice, you'll
probably encounter system slowdowns with fewer fonts. There is no magic
number. The maximum number of fonts will vary from system to system due
to the way the Windows System Registry works.

There is a Registry Key within Windows (for Win9x and WinME versions)
that contains the names of all the TrueType fonts installed and the
paths to those fonts. This Registry Key has a size limit. When that
limit is reached, you can no longer install more fonts. If all your
fonts have very short names you can install more fonts than if they all
had very long names.

But "too many" is more than just a limitation of the operating system.
Do you really want to scroll through a list of 700 or even 500 fonts
from within your software applications? For best performance and ease of
use, you'd do well to limit installed fonts to fewer than 500, perhaps
as few as 200 if you're using a font manager as described below.

http://desktoppub.about.com/od/fonttechnologies/f/toomanyfontswin.htm

Besides the registry limitation, you have to consider memory limits as
well. 600 or more may cause slow performance for a users pc. But I agree
that installing a few fonts is a good idea. I have just over 200 fonts
on my system and I've had OpenOffice.org, LibreOffice and Microsoft
Office installed.  I'd be interested to see which fonts are installed
with the current LibreOffice installation. Anyone know? I think
installing 10 or so fonts with LibO would be a good number.

Ron

Wheatbix Wheatbix

Re: LibreOffice Branding and Documentation

So I believe that with confirmation that you can install 200+ fonts
without problems, we could include 20 or so fonts with the LibreOffice
distribution.

Ron Faile Ron Faile

On 11/5/2010 11:50 PM, Michael Wheatland wrote:
> So I believe that with confirmation that you can install 200+ fonts
> without problems, we could include 20 or so fonts with the LibreOffice
> distribution.

Yes, it works fine with 200+. 20 or so would be great. From what I read,
some open source fonts are installed with a LibO installation. We may
have to ask the programmers which ones.

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-11-06 00:50, Michael Wheatland a écrit :
> So I believe that with confirmation that you can install 200+ fonts
> without problems, we could include 20 or so fonts with the LibreOffice
> distribution.

BTW ... There have been on occasions where I have found that some files
that I have helped with correcting font problems that the only solution
was to install the Arial font. The files in question came from a friend
of mine who does a lot of church community music work and receives files
from all over the country. These file were on the whole either Impress
or long convoluted write files first worked on Win machines. The
formatting of the file was a mess even after I made sure that the
compatible Liberation font was set to replace the Ariel font. It just
didn't format correctly. After going over the file with various tries, I
returned the original file and installed the public domain Arial font
and the text realigned properly. For this person in particular, I now
make sure that the public domain Arial font is always installed on her
Linux box. In fact, I also do this for another contact who is also in
the music field as composer and he had the same peculiar problems as
well ... Linux box as well. All of my other linux contacts have never
shown any indications of any such problems. I tried to find an example,
but it looks like I've deleted them all.

I help manage approx. 40 Mandriva boxes in my local area.

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: LibreOffice Branding and Documentation

Le 2010-11-05 23:17, jonathon a écrit :

Years ago, this also happened to me on both Win and Linux boxes as a
test. Grant you, I was on Win98. The fix was to boot into a Linux Cd and
remove the newly added fonts. The problem on Linux is that I had added a
.zip file of 1000 or so fonts and it looks like one of the fonts was one
of the culprits. I removed the fonts one by one and finally gave up for
lack of time and remove the whole set and the Linux box re-booted fine.

Marc

Mark Morin Mark Morin

On 11/05/2010 11:14 PM, Jeff Prater wrote:
> After spending 5-10 minutes searching the Internet for Windows font limits,
> I was not able to find anything other than some older forum posts. I was
> hoping to find something from Microsoft's website.

I had over 10,000 on my XP box and never had a problem

John Freddy Rojas Hernández John Freddy Rojas Hernández

Re: LibreOffice Branding and Documentation

Hi all,

By the way, What is the font used when the user has disabled the
option "Use system font in the user interface"?

That font is a little blurry when LibO is installed on Windows
machines, so the use of another font or the LibO branding font could
be interesting to try.

Regards.

2010/11/6, Marc Paré <[hidden email]>:

> Le 2010-11-06 00:50, Michael Wheatland a écrit :
>> So I believe that with confirmation that you can install 200+ fonts
>> without problems, we could include 20 or so fonts with the LibreOffice
>> distribution.
>>

> BTW ... There have been on occasions where I have found that some files
> that I have helped with correcting font problems that the only solution
> was to install the Arial font. The files in question came from a friend
> of mine who does a lot of church community music work and receives files
> from all over the country. These file were on the whole either Impress
> or long convoluted write files first worked on Win machines. The
> formatting of the file was a mess even after I made sure that the
> compatible Liberation font was set to replace the Ariel font. It just
> didn't format correctly. After going over the file with various tries, I
> returned the original file and installed the public domain Arial font
> and the text realigned properly. For this person in particular, I now
> make sure that the public domain Arial font is always installed on her
> Linux box. In fact, I also do this for another contact who is also in
> the music field as composer and he had the same peculiar problems as
> well ... Linux box as well. All of my other linux contacts have never
> shown any indications of any such problems. I tried to find an example,
> but it looks like I've deleted them all.
>
> I help manage approx. 40 Mandriva boxes in my local area.
>

> --
> E-mail to [hidden email] for instructions on how to

*John Freddy Rojas Hernández*
[hidden email]
En Twitter <http://twitter.com/freddyrh82>
Bogotá, D.C., Colombia

Andrea Pescetti Andrea Pescetti

On 04/11/2010 Carlos Jenkins wrote:
> 2010/11/4 Jeff Prater <[hidden email]>
> > I'm sure Microsoft's Cambria font wouldn't be installed on a
> > Linux system, but what about Arial, Times New Roman, or even Georgia?
> >
> Be default no... and legally installed I think no. Those are propietary
> fonts :(

It's not illegal (albeit discouraged, see below) to install proprietary
components on a free system. If I recall correctly, Microsoft fonts
packages for Linux-based systems are based on an old font package that
Microsoft distributed with liberal (not free as in freedom, but liberal
enough to allow legal installation on a Linux-based system) terms of
use. Microsoft then restricted the license of their freely available
font packages and made this "port" impossible, but the old liberal
package can still be used.

Then, as Graham noticed, there would be philosophical problems too of
course, so the mere fact that it's not illegal to use Microsoft fonts is
not enough to settle on them.

Regards,
  Andrea.

Ron Faile Ron Faile

2010/11/4 Michael Wheatland <[hidden email]>
>>> I have made a mock up document with the LibreOffice branding and colour
>>> scheme.
>>>

>>> What do you all think?

I've made a few changes based on Michael's mockup and would like to know
what you think.  The file is Document template 0.3 and is posted here:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Produce

You will need the Liberation Sans Regular, Linux Libertine G Regular,
Linux Biolinum G Regular and Linux Biolinum G Italic fonts to view it
correctly. I've also added some proposals for the information boxes and
would like to know your thoughts on those as well.

Ron

Next » 123 « Prev