LibreOffice Community starts 50,000 Euro challenge for setting-up its foundation

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

LibreOffice Community starts 50,000 Euro challenge for setting-up its foundation

LibreOffice Community starts 50,000 Euro challenge for setting-up its
foundation

German-based model provides best stability and safety for users,
adopters, developers and enterprises
Race for funds open until March 21st

The Internet, February 16th, 2011 - The community around LibreOffice,
the free office productivity suite, today announced its fifty-thousand
Euro challenge for setting-up The Document Foundation as a legal entity.
The race for funds is open until March 21st 2011, which marks the
beginning of Spring in the northern hemisphere. All users - especially
enterprises - are invited to donate to the capital stock of the future
foundation.

"After thorough investigation, the Steering Committee came to the
conclusion that a foundation based in Germany would provide the best
stability, not only for our users, but also for adopters, developers and
enterprises. For achieving this stability, a capital stock of at least
50,000 Euros is considered best practice in Germany," says Florian
Effenberger, Steering Committee member of The Document Foundation. "Now
that we have our first release of LibreOffice, which has been downloaded
and installed all around the world, the time has come to legally
establish the future home for our community".

All donations will be used for setting-up The Document Foundation, and
after the fifty thousand Euros has been collected for the capital stock,
donations over the top of that sum will be fed directly into the future
foundation's budget to cover operating costs. Should the race for funds
not succeed, The Document Foundation will use the donations to
incorporate itself in a different country that requires less capital
stock, such as the United Kingdom.

To achieve their ambitious goal of a Foundation in Germany in just five
weeks, the community has set-up a dedicated website with detailed
information at http://challenge.documentfoundation.org The site will
also give adopters, community members and corporate sponsors a voice,
and will have special features rolled out at the accomplishment of each
donation milestone.

"We have seen wide support from many organizations, and the amount of
volunteer work that has been put into The Document Foundation is just
amazing. Without people donating their free time, knowledge and
creativity to what will be the future home of LibreOffice, we wouldn't
be where we are today. However, volunteer work alone can't fund the
necessary capital stock, which is why we have started a public race for
donations, especially targeting contributions from enterprises and
public administrations adopting LibreOffice, and those interested in an
independent, vital and growing ecosystem around free office productivity
software", Florian Effenberger adds.

Information about LibreOffice can be found at http://www.libreoffice.org
The home of The Document Foundation is at http://www.documentfoundation.org

About The Document Foundation
The Document Foundation has the mission of facilitating the evolution of
the OOo Community into a new, open, independent, and meritocratic
organization within the next few months. An independent Foundation is a
better reflection of the values of our contributors, users and
supporters, and will enable a more effective, efficient and transparent
community. TDF will protect past investments by building on the
achievements of the first decade, will encourage wide participation
within the community, and will co-ordinate activity across the community.

Media Contacts for TDF
Florian Effenberger (Germany)
Mobile: +49 151 14424108 - E-mail: [hidden email]
Olivier Hallot (Brazil)
Mobile: +55 21 88228812 - E-mail: [hidden email]
Charles H. Schulz (France)
Mobile: +33 6 98655424 - E-mail: [hidden email]
Italo Vignoli (Italy)
Mobile: +39 348 5653829 - E-mail: [hidden email]

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

Daniel A. Rodriguez Daniel A. Rodriguez

Re: LibreOffice Community starts 50,000 Euro challenge for setting-up its foundation

I'd like to translate challenge site into spanish, is that possible?

Escuelas Libres :: Porque la educación es mucho mejor cuando es libre
http://www.escuelaslibres.org.ar/
---
Para entrenar, cualquier programa sirve. Para educar, sólo Software
Libre. (Federico Heinz)
---

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: LibreOffice Community starts 50,000 Euro challenge for setting-up its foundation

Sure, that would be very much appreciated! Christian can give you
necessary rights and tell you how it works. :-)

Daniel A. Rodriguez wrote on 2011-02-16 15.55:
> I'd like to translate challenge site into spanish, is that possible?

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: LibreOffice Community starts 50,000 Euro challenge for setting-up its foundation

Hi Daniel, :-)

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 22:55, Daniel A. Rodriguez
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'd like to translate challenge site into spanish, is that possible?

I'll fix you up with an account right now and mail you.

David Nelson

Wheatbix Wheatbix

Re: LibreOffice Community starts 50,000 Euro challenge for setting-up its foundation

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 9:48 PM, Florian Effenberger
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> "After thorough investigation, the Steering Committee came to the conclusion
> that a foundation based in Germany would provide the best stability,

Florian,
Might you detail the benefits of having a German Foundation, I have
not seen any detail as to why a German foundation is better than a UK
or even US organisation.
I was expecting this information to come in soon after the call for
funds, but so far I have only seen statements along the lines of 'It
is better'.

Can you detail the reasoning why the SC came to this decision, after
all, it is likely that the ones who will ultimately make the decision
are those donating.

Thanks,
Michael Wheatland

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: LibreOffice Community starts 50,000 Euro challenge for setting-up its foundation

Hi Michael,

Michael Wheatland wrote on 2011-02-17 04.22:

> Might you detail the benefits of having a German Foundation, I have
> not seen any detail as to why a German foundation is better than a UK
> or even US organisation.
> I was expecting this information to come in soon after the call for
> funds, but so far I have only seen statements along the lines of 'It
> is better'.
>
> Can you detail the reasoning why the SC came to this decision, after
> all, it is likely that the ones who will ultimately make the decision
> are those donating.

well, the basic facts are compiled here:
http://challenge.documentfoundation.org/why/ :-)

Florian