LibreOffice Help broken redirects

dennisroczek dennisroczek

LibreOffice Help broken redirects

Hi *,

I have just updated the help wiki (help.libreoffcie.org) to mediawiki
1.24 and did made some small test if everything works correctly.

I notice that there are round about 80 broken redirects included, see
https://help.libreoffice.org/index.php?title=Special:BrokenRedirects&limit=500&offset=0
-- mainly to 3.6 (so no urgent I guess).

I guess that is not intended, but I would like to see that fixed. Any ideas?

Regards,

Dennis Roczek
TDF Mediawiki maintainer
Fitoschido Fitoschido

Re: LibreOffice Help broken redirects

> -- mainly to 3.6 (so no urgent I guess).

… which leads me to a question: why do we keep help content for
unsupported releases in the wiki?

I suggest that we drop any content corresponding to any release older
that 4.4, and maintain only those pages corresponding to the Fresh and
Still branches at a time.

Adolfo
Robinson Tryon Robinson Tryon

Re: LibreOffice Help broken redirects

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 1:37 AM, Adolfo Jayme Barrientos
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> -- mainly to 3.6 (so no urgent I guess).
>
> … which leads me to a question: why do we keep help content for
> unsupported releases in the wiki?
>
> I suggest that we drop any content corresponding to any release older
> that 4.4,

Are you suggesting that we remove a URL from the Help Wiki that has
been embedded into a release version of LibreOffice?

> and maintain only those pages corresponding to the Fresh and
> Still branches at a time.

AFAIK Canonical, RedHat, Collabora, and others currently ship/provide
support for versions that predate the current Fresh and Still
branches. It seems quite possible that those builds may point to the
Help Wiki, and as such, I'm reticent to break those links without a
really strong argument as to why this is necessary.

Cheers,
--R

--
Robinson Tryon
QA Engineer - The Document Foundation
Fitoschido Fitoschido

Re: LibreOffice Help broken redirects

> AFAIK Canonical, RedHat, Collabora, and others currently ship/provide
> support for versions that predate the current Fresh and Still
> branches. It seems quite possible that those builds may point to the
> Help Wiki, and as such, I'm reticent to break those links without a
> really strong argument as to why this is necessary.

I didn’t say it was “necessary.”

I was just letting the question out. Because, likely, we won’t ever be
certain as to *when* exactly all of the downstream distributors will
stop supporting a particular old release. There should be a time when
we remove the old contents, IMHHHHO.
dennisroczek dennisroczek

Re: LibreOffice Help broken redirects

Hi Adolfo,

Am 01.06.2015 um 07:37 schrieb Adolfo Jayme Barrientos:
>> -- mainly to 3.6 (so no urgent I guess).
>
> … which leads me to a question: why do we keep help content for
> unsupported releases in the wiki?
Why not? Some users have to use (parallel) LibO 3.6 because the
StarOffice file format was dropped in LO4. Just for an example.

> I suggest that we drop any content corresponding to any release older
> that 4.4, and maintain only those pages corresponding to the Fresh and
> Still branches at a time.
At the moment we do have ~900k Pages - including redirects for all
versions (3.3, 3.4, 3.5, 3.6, 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4 - so for 9 versions).

Redirects are very cheap. (don't cost server resources)
Images are defacto not existent (not many, all small).

And 900k pages are not very much for Mediawiki. Moreover as Robinson
already said that there are some companies providing long term support
for old versions.

> Adolfo
Regards,

Dennis Roczek