LibreOffice, Icons For Telegram Channels

Kristi Çunga Kristi Çunga

LibreOffice, Icons For Telegram Channels

Hello,

My name is Kristi and I'm a designer based in Tirana, Albania. I was
introduced to the LibreOffice community before LibOCon Tirana 2018 where
I had the opportunity to work for the co-creation of LibOCon Tirana 2018
visual ID. After the event I was searching for LibreOffice communities
on Telegram app and found out that there are different LibreOffice icons
used for these channels, or no icons at all at some cases. Here is an
example on how LibreOffice Telegram channel look from my app:

As you can see, it is quite confusing navigating through these channels
if you are part of many groups related to LibreOffice.

I thought that it would make more sense to have the same look & feel of
these icons and create a more consistent look visually. After some
research i found out that there are two different groups of icons:
a. based on the country and language of the community;
b. based on the theme of the Telegram group (main channel, design
channel, localization,etc)

My proposal is to replace the current icons with flat icons. Flat design
is standing for years as very usable for websites and iconsincluding the
onesrelated to Telegram app. The list of the icons is based on the The
Document Foundation Wiki
(https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website/Web_Sites_services#Telegram).
The new icons' colors are from LibreOffice branding guidelines
(https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding), except the red
one (#FF0B23).

Hopefully this will create more consistency for community members that
are navigating Telegram groups related to LibreOffice :)

You can find the proposals here in two different folders for
countries/languages and different thematic:
https://cloud.collective68.tech/s/woaLKjDgNjjjxSK

Best regards,
Kristi Çunga

htietze htietze

Re: LibreOffice, Icons For Telegram Channels

As replied on Telegram:

+ I like flat icons and your proposal definitely complies with the branding guideline. But what identifies design, for example, with black or dark grey/green? Just color is hard to understand- but admittedly easy to distinguish later. And please keep in mind that Telegram makes everything round.
+ After loading the image I've seen the tiny connector lines. Beautiful!
+ But unfortunately you need a hires screen to perceive this unzoomed.
+ The country icons are super funny when compared against each other. Love Hebrew/Israel. And Brasil 😊

--
Dr. Heiko Tietze
UX designer