LibreOffice Mascot

Heiko Tietze-2 Heiko Tietze-2

LibreOffice Mascot

Hello all,

additional to the unique branding of LibreOffice today, we want to introduce an alternative to TDF's trademarked logo/icon elements that can be used by the community with minimal restrictions: a mascot.

The idea is similar to "Duke" from Java (https://kenai.com/projects/duke/pages/Home), SuSE's chameleon "Geeko", Mozilla has a lizard/godzilla/tyrannosaurus, Linux' "Tux" is famous, KDE is going with the dragon "Konqi" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konqi) and Krita has "Kiki" (https://krita.org/en/kiki/).

The first step would be to find some metaphors that enables designs to be creative. Something like Freedom, Documents, Openness etc. Ideas for the realization are of course also welcome. The mascot could be an animal like a (grumpy old) cat to refer to the seven lives of LibreOffice or something more symbolic.

Based on your input we would later start the actual design task, and ideally have a few options where the community can choose the best.

Cheers,
Heiko
--
Dr. Heiko Tietze
UX Designer

Heiko Tietze-2 Heiko Tietze-2

Re: LibreOffice Mascot

Since today is world penguin day [1] some journals reported about Tux,
which is a good reminder to keep our discussion boiling with the
reference how Linux found its mascot [2]. To summarize the discussion
I created a pad [3]. Anything to add?

[1] https://www.awarenessdays.co.uk/awareness-days-calendar/world-penguin-day-2017/
[2] http://www.gregroelofs.com/greg_lnxpeng.html
[3] https://pad.documentfoundation.org/p/UX-mascot

> Hello all,
>
> additional to the unique branding of LibreOffice today, we want to introduce an alternative to TDF's trademarked logo/icon elements that can be used by the community with minimal restrictions: a mascot.
>
> The idea is similar to "Duke" from Java (https://kenai.com/projects/duke/pages/Home), SuSE's chameleon "Geeko", Mozilla has a lizard/godzilla/tyrannosaurus, Linux' "Tux" is famous, KDE is going with the dragon "Konqi" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konqi) and Krita has "Kiki" (https://krita.org/en/kiki/).
>
> The first step would be to find some metaphors that enables designs to be creative. Something like Freedom, Documents, Openness etc. Ideas for the realization are of course also welcome. The mascot could be an animal like a (grumpy old) cat to refer to the seven lives of LibreOffice or something more symbolic.
>
> Based on your input we would later start the actual design task, and ideally have a few options where the community can choose the best.
>
> Cheers,
> Heiko
> --
> Dr. Heiko Tietze
> UX Designer
> Tel. +49 (0)179/1268509

Stefan Weiberg Stefan Weiberg

Re: LibreOffice Mascot

To put my two cents in.

The dragonfly is already used by DragonFly BSD and Opera Dragonfly.

--
Primary PGP Key (4096 RSA):
Key ID: 9F73 1A0A

Public Key can be exported from pgp.mit.edu, keyserver.ubuntu.com and
sks-keyservers.net.

TomD TomD

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-projects] Re: LibreOffice Mascot

Hi :)
How about a Rock-hopper penguin?

It's very cute with orangey-red-yellow tufts out of jet-black ears.  They
are impressively determined buggers.  Despite the comedy-value of the way
they waddle and bounce they achieve incredible feats of athleticism such as
jumping higher than their own height from a standing start.  Each time they
fall off a cliff they bounce from rock to rock at the bottom but then get
up again and follow the same route until it inevitably yet remarkably
reaches the top.

As Dr Who said "Penguins are cool".

On 26 Apr 2017 10:26, "Stefan Weiberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To put my two cents in.
>
> The dragonfly is already used by DragonFly BSD and Opera Dragonfly.
>
> On 26/04/17 10:57, Heiko Tietze wrote:
> > Since today is world penguin day [1] some journals reported about Tux,
> > which is a good reminder to keep our discussion boiling with the
> > reference how Linux found its mascot [2]. To summarize the discussion
> > I created a pad [3]. Anything to add?
> >
> > [1] https://www.awarenessdays.co.uk/awareness-days-calendar/
> world-penguin-day-2017/
> > [2] http://www.gregroelofs.com/greg_lnxpeng.html
> > [3] https://pad.documentfoundation.org/p/UX-mascot

> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> additional to the unique branding of LibreOffice today, we want to
> introduce an alternative to TDF's trademarked logo/icon elements that can
> be used by the community with minimal restrictions: a mascot.
> >>
> >> The idea is similar to "Duke" from Java (https://kenai.com/projects/
> duke/pages/Home), SuSE's chameleon "Geeko", Mozilla has a
> lizard/godzilla/tyrannosaurus, Linux' "Tux" is famous, KDE is going with
> the dragon "Konqi" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konqi) and Krita has
> "Kiki" (https://krita.org/en/kiki/).
> >>
> >> The first step would be to find some metaphors that enables designs to
> be creative. Something like Freedom, Documents, Openness etc. Ideas for the
> realization are of course also welcome. The mascot could be an animal like
> a (grumpy old) cat to refer to the seven lives of LibreOffice or something
> more symbolic.
> >>
> >> Based on your input we would later start the actual design task, and
> ideally have a few options where the community can choose the best.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Heiko
> >> --
> >> Dr. Heiko Tietze
> >> UX Designer
> >> Tel. +49 (0)179/1268509
> >>

> --
> Primary PGP Key (4096 RSA):
> Key ID: 9F73 1A0A
> Fingerprint: 0C67 F721 D7FF 0D9C 13FA 10FD 8141 BA2B 9F73 1A0A
>
> Public Key can be exported from pgp.mit.edu, keyserver.ubuntu.com and
> sks-keyservers.net.

Taylor Jenkins-2 Taylor Jenkins-2

Re: [libreoffice-design] Re: [libreoffice-projects] Re: LibreOffice Mascot

How about a tardigrade for a mascot?
What is a tardigrade you ask? Also known as water bears, they are adorable,
and also perhaps the most indestructable creatures known to man.
https://youtu.be/6H0E77TdYnY
https://www.tumblr.com/search/tardigrade%20gif

On Apr 26, 2017 3:26 AM, "Stefan Weiberg" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> To put my two cents in.
>
> The dragonfly is already used by DragonFly BSD and Opera Dragonfly.
>
> On 26/04/17 10:57, Heiko Tietze wrote:
> > Since today is world penguin day [1] some journals reported about Tux,
> > which is a good reminder to keep our discussion boiling with the
> > reference how Linux found its mascot [2]. To summarize the discussion
> > I created a pad [3]. Anything to add?
> >
> > [1] https://www.awarenessdays.co.uk/awareness-days-calendar/
> world-penguin-day-2017/
> > [2] http://www.gregroelofs.com/greg_lnxpeng.html
> > [3] https://pad.documentfoundation.org/p/UX-mascot

> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> additional to the unique branding of LibreOffice today, we want to
> introduce an alternative to TDF's trademarked logo/icon elements that can
> be used by the community with minimal restrictions: a mascot.
> >>
> >> The idea is similar to "Duke" from Java (https://kenai.com/projects/
> duke/pages/Home), SuSE's chameleon "Geeko", Mozilla has a
> lizard/godzilla/tyrannosaurus, Linux' "Tux" is famous, KDE is going with
> the dragon "Konqi" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konqi) and Krita has
> "Kiki" (https://krita.org/en/kiki/).
> >>
> >> The first step would be to find some metaphors that enables designs to
> be creative. Something like Freedom, Documents, Openness etc. Ideas for the
> realization are of course also welcome. The mascot could be an animal like
> a (grumpy old) cat to refer to the seven lives of LibreOffice or something
> more symbolic.
> >>
> >> Based on your input we would later start the actual design task, and
> ideally have a few options where the community can choose the best.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Heiko
> >> --
> >> Dr. Heiko Tietze
> >> UX Designer
> >> Tel. +49 (0)179/1268509
> >>

> --
> Primary PGP Key (4096 RSA):
> Key ID: 9F73 1A0A
> Fingerprint: 0C67 F721 D7FF 0D9C 13FA 10FD 8141 BA2B 9F73 1A0A
>
> Public Key can be exported from pgp.mit.edu, keyserver.ubuntu.com and
> sks-keyservers.net.

Heiko Tietze-2 Heiko Tietze-2

Re: [libreoffice-design] Re: [libreoffice-projects] Re: LibreOffice Mascot

Cuteness factor as Cor's louse :-)

> How about a tardigrade for a mascot?
> What is a tardigrade you ask? Also known as water bears, they are adorable,
> and also perhaps the most indestructable creatures known to man.
> https://youtu.be/6H0E77TdYnY
> https://www.tumblr.com/search/tardigrade%20gif
>

> On Apr 26, 2017 3:26 AM, "Stefan Weiberg" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> To put my two cents in.
>>
>> The dragonfly is already used by DragonFly BSD and Opera Dragonfly.
>>
>> On 26/04/17 10:57, Heiko Tietze wrote:
>> > Since today is world penguin day [1] some journals reported about Tux,
>> > which is a good reminder to keep our discussion boiling with the
>> > reference how Linux found its mascot [2]. To summarize the discussion
>> > I created a pad [3]. Anything to add?
>> >
>> > [1]
>> > https://www.awarenessdays.co.uk/awareness-days-calendar/world-penguin-day-2017/
>> > [2] http://www.gregroelofs.com/greg_lnxpeng.html
>> > [3] https://pad.documentfoundation.org/p/UX-mascot

>> --
>> Primary PGP Key (4096 RSA):
>> Key ID: 9F73 1A0A
>> Fingerprint: 0C67 F721 D7FF 0D9C 13FA 10FD 8141 BA2B 9F73 1A0A
>>
>> Public Key can be exported from pgp.mit.edu, keyserver.ubuntu.com and
>> sks-keyservers.net.

>> deleted

Italo Vignoli-6 Italo Vignoli-6

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-design] Re: [libreoffice-projects] Re: LibreOffice Mascot

Apologies for top posting, but in languages like Italian "tardigrado"
means very slow, and "tardo" is commonly used to describe people with
mental handicaps. So, tardigrade is definitely a no go for Italy.

>> How about a tardigrade for a mascot?

mobile/signal +39.348.5653829 - email [hidden email]
hangout/jabber [hidden email] - skype italovignoli
GPG Key ID - 0xAAB8D5C0

Xisco Fauli Xisco Fauli

Re: [libreoffice-design] Re: [libreoffice-projects] Re: LibreOffice Mascot

out of curiosity, does it need to be an animal ? Thinking in a plausible
name for the mascot, I came with the name 'Libro' which means book in
spanish, and maybe in some other latin languages too, and these are the
results of searching book + mascot in google in case it helps for
inspiration:
https://www.google.es/search?q=libro&client=ubuntu&hs=EzW&channel=fs&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjoi_Lqh8PTAhXJlxoKHadDDvsQ_AUIBigB&biw=1301&bih=641#channel=fs&tbm=isch&q=book+mascot

Regards

El 26/04/17 a les 17:02, Heiko Tietze ha escrit:

--
Xisco Faulí
Libreoffice QA Team

Franklin Weng-2 Franklin Weng-2

Re: [libreoffice-design] Re: [libreoffice-projects] Re: LibreOffice Mascot

Hi,

Xisco Fauli 於 2017年04月27日 05:35 寫道:

> Hi,
>
> out of curiosity, does it need to be an animal ? Thinking in a plausible
> name for the mascot, I came with the name 'Libro' which means book in
> spanish, and maybe in some other latin languages too, and these are the
> results of searching book + mascot in google in case it helps for
> inspiration:
> https://www.google.es/search?q=libro&client=ubuntu&hs=EzW&channel=fs&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjoi_Lqh8PTAhXJlxoKHadDDvsQ_AUIBigB&biw=1301&bih=641#channel=fs&tbm=isch&q=book+mascot
>
> Regards

Here I'd like to share my experiences.

We have a Linux distribution derived from Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Lubuntu named
"ezgo", whose target is to promote many good FOSS (including educational
ones like kalzium, GCompris; and multimedia related like Inkscape, Gimp,
Krita, blender; and of course LibreOffice) and public domain resources
like PhET to "Muggles", i.e., people who have no idea about what FOSS is.

A simple introduction to ezgo is here:

https://dot.kde.org/2013/10/02/ezgo-free-and-open-source-software-taiwans-schools
.

The latest version of ezgo is now 13.

Since maybe 2013 or 2014 I'd also like to create a mascot for ezgo.
Actually I've tried it for years but couldn't get good ideas and I'm not
good at drawing either (not to mention digital design).  Then last year
I ask for professional help from an artist, who is also promoting
digital art using open source tools and open format.  Here is his final
work:

http://imgur.com/4yAMLWg

"MOE Giant", ("moe" means "cute" in Japanese, also the abbreviation of
"Ministry of Education"), which is "composed of many different parts,
which means many people's contribution".  The Giant means the whole free
software world (so we are standing on the Giant's shoulder).  The design
progress is here:

https://youtu.be/Y7971NUBV2Q

What I'd like to say is that, maybe we need some professional designer's
suggestions, who can understand our core spirit.  It's a bit like
designing a corporation identification system though the range is much
smaller, but professional suggestions should help a lot I think.

And of course I paid the designer for the MOE Giant. :-)

Regards,
Franklin

K-J LibreOffice K-J LibreOffice

Am 26.04.2017 um 17:02 schrieb Heiko Tietze:
> Cuteness factor as Cor's louse :-)

We should keep in mind that we produce a professional product. And a
clowny or manga or comic mascot doesn't seem to be very professional (IMHO).

--
Grüße
k-j

Member of TheDocumentFoundation
https://www.documentfoundation.org/governance/members/
https://de.libreoffice.org
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/

Valter Mura (Google Drive) Valter Mura (Google Drive)

Re: LibreOffice Mascot

By the way, the hummingbird has the same name in French, Italian and
Spanish, AFAIK.

Its name is also phonetically close to LibreOffice, and this little bird is
also very nice.

Valter
Open Source is better!
Sent from my Android device