LibreOffice Mascot

Heiko Tietze-2 Heiko Tietze-2

LibreOffice Mascot

Hello all,

additional to the unique branding of LibreOffice today, we want to introduce an alternative to TDF's trademarked logo/icon elements that can be used by the community with minimal restrictions: a mascot.

The idea is similar to "Duke" from Java (https://kenai.com/projects/duke/pages/Home), SuSE's chameleon "Geeko", Mozilla has a lizard/godzilla/tyrannosaurus, Linux' "Tux" is famous, KDE is going with the dragon "Konqi" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konqi) and Krita has "Kiki" (https://krita.org/en/kiki/).

The first step would be to find some metaphors that enables designs to be creative. Something like Freedom, Documents, Openness etc. Ideas for the realization are of course also welcome. The mascot could be an animal like a (grumpy old) cat to refer to the seven lives of LibreOffice or something more symbolic.

Based on your input we would later start the actual design task, and ideally have a few options where the community can choose the best.

Cheers,
Heiko
--
Dr. Heiko Tietze
UX Designer

Edwin Lee Edwin Lee

RE: [libreoffice-marketing] LibreOffice Mascot

Hi all,

How about a mascot based on a horse, signifying freedom for OSS and ODF, speed for a rapid release cycle, many breeds for the different versions available on a variety of platforms.

Best,
Edwin

Heiko Tietze-2 Heiko Tietze-2

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] LibreOffice Mascot

> For me, I keep thinking that LO is slowly working to take on various
> platforms.  So far, LO has taken over Linux's platforms from OpenOffice.org
> - from day one.  Then Windows and Mac platforms came quickly.  Although LO
> has not made really much headway against MS Office, to me it seems LO is
> slowly gaining a market share a little at a time. LO is working on an
> Android version and later I do not doubt Apple's IOS will see a version.

Sounds like a cute virus :-)
(Such a mascot would have the added value of being a massage ball)

As an intermediate state, the metaphors we do have so far:

* Freedom (dove like bird, though occupied by Apache OpenOffice; and
disliked by some)
* Speed/Improvement (fast birds)
* (Smart and not aggressive) Hunter (bird of prey, raptor)
* Intelligence (Weimeraner dog on G+ "good hunter and faithful pet but
requires lots of exercise")
* Openness
* Documents/Wisdom (Owl)
* Cuteness / Seven lives (Big? grumpy? kitten or puppy dog)
* Speed (Horse, though used by EuroOffice; and disliked by some)

That's a pretty good basis for skilled designers. Anything else?

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: [libreoffice-projects] LibreOffice Mascot

Hi all,

Heiko Tietze wrote on 31-03-17 09:51:

> The first step would be to find some metaphors that enables designs
> to be creative. Something like Freedom, Documents, Openness etc.

Last week I was thinking about that LibreOffice is what we call, in
Dutch, the "louse in the fur" of another office suite. Something that
irritates, but you can't get rid of :)
Of course that would need some excellent additional art work, to make it
funny and attractive, but...

https://www.shutterstock.com/zh/search/louse
https://dylanwoodlouse.wordpress.com/tag/louse-christmas-songs/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nicky3zero/12532425354
http://www.cps1998.com/louse-flea/

For the rest I support comments that the mascot must be not too
detailed, good stylized.

> Ideas for the realization are of course also welcome. The mascot
> could be an animal like a (grumpy old) cat to refer to the seven
> lives of LibreOffice or something more symbolic.

Ah, fun too :)

> Based on your input we would later start the actual design task, and
> ideally have a few options where the community can choose the best.

Good procedure. Thanks for starting this!
Cor

--
Cor Nouws
- vrijwilliger http://nl.libreoffice.org

K-J LibreOffice K-J LibreOffice

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] LibreOffice Mascot

Hi all,
what do you think about a dragonfly (odonata) [1], [2]. Carl von Linné
called it: "Libellula" and so we get to "LibO".

It is an animal which we can find all over the world (except Antarctica).

"They are fast, agile fliers, sometimes migrating across oceans [...]
They are symbols of courage, strength, and happines [...]". [1]

"Dragonflies are strong fliers with fairly robust bodies" [2]
"Dragonflies are powerful and agile fliers, capable of migrating across
oceans, moving in any direction, and changing direction suddenly. In
flight, the adult dragonfly can propel itself in six directions: upward,
downward, forward, back, to left and to right.
[...] The wings are powered directly, with the flight muscles attached
to the wing bases. Dragonflies have a high power/weight ratio, and have
been documented accelerating at 4 G linearly and 9 G in sharp turns
while pursuing prey.["

They are beautiful with many different colours.
They are grown up from larvae (OOO).
They are predators (@Cor).

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonfly
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odonata

Am 04.04.2017 um 08:55 schrieb Heiko Tietze:

>> For me, I keep thinking that LO is slowly working to take on various
>> platforms.  So far, LO has taken over Linux's platforms from OpenOffice.org
>> - from day one.  Then Windows and Mac platforms came quickly.  Although LO
>> has not made really much headway against MS Office, to me it seems LO is
>> slowly gaining a market share a little at a time. LO is working on an
>> Android version and later I do not doubt Apple's IOS will see a version.
>
> Sounds like a cute virus :-)
> (Such a mascot would have the added value of being a massage ball)
>
> As an intermediate state, the metaphors we do have so far:
>
> * Freedom (dove like bird, though occupied by Apache OpenOffice; and
> disliked by some)
> * Speed/Improvement (fast birds)
> * (Smart and not aggressive) Hunter (bird of prey, raptor)
> * Intelligence (Weimeraner dog on G+ "good hunter and faithful pet but
> requires lots of exercise")
> * Openness
> * Documents/Wisdom (Owl)
> * Cuteness / Seven lives (Big? grumpy? kitten or puppy dog)
> * Speed (Horse, though used by EuroOffice; and disliked by some)
>
> That's a pretty good basis for skilled designers. Anything else?

--
Grüße
k-j

Member of TheDocumentFoundation
https://www.documentfoundation.org/governance/members/
https://de.libreoffice.org
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/

Heiko Tietze-2 Heiko Tietze-2

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] LibreOffice Mascot

Great idea! Easy to name, broad associations, and beautiful artwork
including tatoos (for those who really love the product) and sticker
pins. Unfortunately there is http://www.dragonflybsd.org/images/
(never heard before). Challenge for designer to make it look
different?

> Hi all,
> what do you think about a dragonfly (odonata) [1], [2]. Carl von Linné
> called it: "Libellula" and so we get to "LibO".
>
> It is an animal which we can find all over the world (except Antarctica).
>
> "They are fast, agile fliers, sometimes migrating across oceans [...] They
> are symbols of courage, strength, and happines [...]". [1]
>
> "Dragonflies are strong fliers with fairly robust bodies" [2]
> "Dragonflies are powerful and agile fliers, capable of migrating across
> oceans, moving in any direction, and changing direction suddenly. In flight,
> the adult dragonfly can propel itself in six directions: upward, downward,
> forward, back, to left and to right.
> [...] The wings are powered directly, with the flight muscles attached to
> the wing bases. Dragonflies have a high power/weight ratio, and have been
> documented accelerating at 4 G linearly and 9 G in sharp turns while
> pursuing prey.["
>
> They are beautiful with many different colours.
> They are grown up from larvae (OOO).
> They are predators (@Cor).
>

> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonfly
> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odonata
>

> Am 04.04.2017 um 08:55 schrieb Heiko Tietze:

>>> For me, I keep thinking that LO is slowly working to take on various
>>> platforms.  So far, LO has taken over Linux's platforms from
>>> OpenOffice.org
>>> - from day one.  Then Windows and Mac platforms came quickly.  Although
>>> LO
>>> has not made really much headway against MS Office, to me it seems LO is
>>> slowly gaining a market share a little at a time. LO is working on an
>>> Android version and later I do not doubt Apple's IOS will see a version.
>>

>> Sounds like a cute virus :-)
>> (Such a mascot would have the added value of being a massage ball)
>>
>> As an intermediate state, the metaphors we do have so far:
>>
>> * Freedom (dove like bird, though occupied by Apache OpenOffice; and
>> disliked by some)
>> * Speed/Improvement (fast birds)
>> * (Smart and not aggressive) Hunter (bird of prey, raptor)
>> * Intelligence (Weimeraner dog on G+ "good hunter and faithful pet but
>> requires lots of exercise")
>> * Openness
>> * Documents/Wisdom (Owl)
>> * Cuteness / Seven lives (Big? grumpy? kitten or puppy dog)
>> * Speed (Horse, though used by EuroOffice; and disliked by some)
>>
>> That's a pretty good basis for skilled designers. Anything else?
>>

> --
> Grüße
> k-j
>
> Member of TheDocumentFoundation
> https://www.documentfoundation.org/governance/members/
> https://de.libreoffice.org
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/

Cal 727apps Cal 727apps

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] LibreOffice Mascot

Heiko/all,
I am a big fan of freedom, openness, collaboration & the kinds of things
that Libre Open Office and open source stands for. That said, a lot of the
logos did look a bit cartoonish, kiddy cartoonish to me, which is not good.

I am a big fan of the Seabiscuit horse. (Credits: Laura Hillenbrand),as
well as Tux (the penguin) and more recently Kali Linux logos, which looks
fierce.

In any event, here are some suggestions:
1) pitch the idea to Vint at Google & see what he suggests. he is the
"Father of the Internet" and a mentor for my makerspace project.

2) I like the image of the Phoenix, sort of like the cat with 9 lives,
except the Phoenix goes down in flames & arises again every 500 years or so
:-)

I feel the Phoenix symbol (will send in next email) is very powerful,
elegant and symbolic of the upstart, little guy seeking a competitive edge.

Pls google up phoenix meanwhile.

Thanks, Cal
Cal Tiger, cofounder
Siliconbeach llc
Cloud, IoT & makerspace
001-727-315-2559

Author of: Bootstrappers guide to the Galaxy, free ebook & blog
Follow me on FB & Twitter:
@cal_tiger

On Mar 31, 2017 3:51 AM, "Heiko Tietze" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> additional to the unique branding of LibreOffice today, we want to
> introduce an alternative to TDF's trademarked logo/icon elements that can
> be used by the community with minimal restrictions: a mascot.
>
> The idea is similar to "Duke" from Java (https://kenai.com/projects/
> duke/pages/Home), SuSE's chameleon "Geeko", Mozilla has a
> lizard/godzilla/tyrannosaurus, Linux' "Tux" is famous, KDE is going with
> the dragon "Konqi" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konqi) and Krita has
> "Kiki" (https://krita.org/en/kiki/).
>
> The first step would be to find some metaphors that enables designs to be
> creative. Something like Freedom, Documents, Openness etc. Ideas for the
> realization are of course also welcome. The mascot could be an animal like
> a (grumpy old) cat to refer to the seven lives of LibreOffice or something
> more symbolic.
>
> Based on your input we would later start the actual design task, and
> ideally have a few options where the community can choose the best.
>
> Cheers,
> Heiko
> --
> Dr. Heiko Tietze
> UX Designer
> Tel. +49 (0)179/1268509

Tim Lungstrom Tim Lungstrom

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] LibreOffice Mascot

Do you want to be the company that is called "that louse office suite"?
I sure do not.

Remember in the USA "that louse" is what you use to tell people about
other people who are bad, crook, and other negative things.

On 04/04/2017 04:12 AM, Cor Nouws wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Heiko Tietze wrote on 31-03-17 09:51:
>
>> The first step would be to find some metaphors that enables designs
>> to be creative. Something like Freedom, Documents, Openness etc.
> Last week I was thinking about that LibreOffice is what we call, in
> Dutch, the "louse in the fur" of another office suite. Something that
> irritates, but you can't get rid of :)
> Of course that would need some excellent additional art work, to make it
> funny and attractive, but...
>
> https://www.shutterstock.com/zh/search/louse
> https://dylanwoodlouse.wordpress.com/tag/louse-christmas-songs/
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/nicky3zero/12532425354
> http://www.cps1998.com/louse-flea/
>
> For the rest I support comments that the mascot must be not too
> detailed, good stylized.
>
>> Ideas for the realization are of course also welcome. The mascot
>> could be an animal like a (grumpy old) cat to refer to the seven
>> lives of LibreOffice or something more symbolic.
> Ah, fun too :)
>
>> Based on your input we would later start the actual design task, and
>> ideally have a few options where the community can choose the best.
> Good procedure. Thanks for starting this!
> Cor

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] LibreOffice Mascot

How about a dragonfly holding onto our current LO icon[s]?

It will combine the current icons we currently have with a new logo icon.

On 04/04/2017 06:00 AM, Heiko Tietze wrote:

> Great idea! Easy to name, broad associations, and beautiful artwork
> including tatoos (for those who really love the product) and sticker
> pins. Unfortunately there is http://www.dragonflybsd.org/images/
> (never heard before). Challenge for designer to make it look
> different?

>> Hi all,
>> what do you think about a dragonfly (odonata) [1], [2]. Carl von Linné
>> called it: "Libellula" and so we get to "LibO".
>>
>> It is an animal which we can find all over the world (except Antarctica).
>>
>> "They are fast, agile fliers, sometimes migrating across oceans [...] They
>> are symbols of courage, strength, and happines [...]". [1]
>>
>> "Dragonflies are strong fliers with fairly robust bodies" [2]
>> "Dragonflies are powerful and agile fliers, capable of migrating across
>> oceans, moving in any direction, and changing direction suddenly. In flight,
>> the adult dragonfly can propel itself in six directions: upward, downward,
>> forward, back, to left and to right.
>> [...] The wings are powered directly, with the flight muscles attached to
>> the wing bases. Dragonflies have a high power/weight ratio, and have been
>> documented accelerating at 4 G linearly and 9 G in sharp turns while
>> pursuing prey.["
>>
>> They are beautiful with many different colours.
>> They are grown up from larvae (OOO).
>> They are predators (@Cor).
>>

>> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonfly
>> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odonata

>>> Sounds like a cute virus :-)
>>> (Such a mascot would have the added value of being a massage ball)
>>>
>>> As an intermediate state, the metaphors we do have so far:
>>>
>>> * Freedom (dove like bird, though occupied by Apache OpenOffice; and
>>> disliked by some)
>>> * Speed/Improvement (fast birds)
>>> * (Smart and not aggressive) Hunter (bird of prey, raptor)
>>> * Intelligence (Weimeraner dog on G+ "good hunter and faithful pet but
>>> requires lots of exercise")
>>> * Openness
>>> * Documents/Wisdom (Owl)
>>> * Cuteness / Seven lives (Big? grumpy? kitten or puppy dog)
>>> * Speed (Horse, though used by EuroOffice; and disliked by some)
>>>
>>> That's a pretty good basis for skilled designers. Anything else?
>>>

>> --
>> Grüße
>> k-j
>>
>> Member of TheDocumentFoundation
>> https://www.documentfoundation.org/governance/members/
>> https://de.libreoffice.org
>> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/

>> deleted

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] LibreOffice Mascot

Hi Tim,

Tim Lungstrom wrote on 05-04-17 00:40:

> Do you want to be the company that is called "that louse office suite"?
> I sure do not.
>
> Remember in the USA "that louse" is what you use to tell people about
> other people who are bad, crook, and other negative things.

Thanks for sharing that. Obviously things I don't know. Of course in
Dutch it's not that positive, what is often expressed by 'louse', but it
does give opportunities too - if combined with a catchy, positive cartoon.

(I promise not to interview you about your knowledge of all Dutch
sayings ;) )

Ciao,
Cor

--
Cor Nouws
- vrijwilliger http://nl.libreoffice.org
- volunteer http://www.libreoffice.org

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: LibreOffice Mascot

I love penguins and butterflies.

Rock-Hoppers are my favorite penguin.

I use rock-hoppers when I need an animal or bird in a comic poster.

With this penguin for a logo, you can easily know that it is not the Tux
penguin logo.

On 04/26/2017 09:55 AM, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> How about a Rock-hopper penguin?
>
> It's very cute with orangey-red-yellow tufts out of jet-black ears.  They
> are impressively determined buggers.  Despite the comedy-value of the way
> they waddle and bounce they achieve incredible feats of athleticism such as
> jumping higher than their own height from a standing start.  Each time they
> fall off a cliff they bounce from rock to rock at the bottom but then get
> up again and follow the same route until it inevitably yet remarkably
> reaches the top.
>
> As Dr Who said "Penguins are cool".
> Regards from
> Tom :)

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-design] Re: [libreoffice-projects] Re: LibreOffice Mascot

K-J LibreOffice wrote on 27-04-17 09:14:
> Am 26.04.2017 um 17:02 schrieb Heiko Tietze:
>> Cuteness factor as Cor's louse :-)
>
> We should keep in mind that we produce a professional product. And a
> clowny or manga or comic mascot doesn't seem to be very professional
> (IMHO).

Sure - it all depends on how the final mascot is designed. That may even
be more relevant than the creature we choose to start with.

--
Cor Nouws
- vrijwilliger http://nl.libreoffice.org
- volunteer http://www.libreoffice.org

William Gathoye-2 William Gathoye-2

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-design] Re: [libreoffice-projects] Re: LibreOffice Mascot

Hello everyone,

On 04/30/2017 02:13 PM, Cor Nouws wrote:
> Sure - it all depends on how the final mascot is designed. That may even
> be more relevant than the creature we choose to start with.

I have seen this topic a few weeks ago and kindly asked Nicolas, my
coworker, who is a graphic designer specialized in advertising content
working for Pixinko, to think to a mascot that could suit LibreOffice needs.

He checked the whole thread to see the propositions you made. However,
he thinks birds should be avoided as most of FOSS software have such a
similar logo and important companies have mail applications whose logo
are basically representing a bird.

So he came up with the idea of "beaver" (castor) [1].

Here are a few advantages for this kind of animal that could match both
LibreOffice vision and the way the LibreOffice community works towards
this project.

* Beavers are ingenious builders who can change the course of rivers.

  LibreOffice contributes towards changing mentality and provides an
alternative to the go-to Microsoft's solution.

  "Changing the course of rivers" can also be an analogy to build up
dreams. The Document Foundation marks a milestone with this project: the
dream to have a complete independent foundation has come true on
February 17th, 2012, an idea grown from the OOo old ages when Sun was
still the parent/sponsoring company.

* The beaver is a builder who has real power to change his environment,
change the course of things and life.

  Quite related to the previous idea, but LibreOffice, more than ever,
can make this happen. LOOL (CODE) has shown great progress.

* Beavers are nibbling wood all day long.

  LibreOffice nibbles as well, but market shares. In September 2016,
according to a survey from Collabora[2], LibreOffice reached 120
millions users, which isn't negligible.

* The beaver is small but powerful.

  Compared to the work force big companies like Microsoft can put into
practice, despite its size, the LibreOffice community hasn't to blush
from the comparison.

  Look at the way TDF forced (in some way) Microsoft to offer the
ability to install Office Web Apps on our own server, just because
Nextcloud + LOOL was a quite powerful free alternative.

* Despite its size, a beaver can modify its living space in depth within
a few days.

  Look at the way the LibreOffice project can move things on rapidly. On
the infrastructure size for example. You need more Tinderboxes VM for
deeper tests? This is a task done in a few hours.

* The beaver does not ask questions, he simply acts.

  LibreOffice is a meritocratic project. Don't wait for other to fix the
issue for you, just solve it and everyone will benefit from it. This is
the way community and paid developers are working for the project.

* Patient work, but effective.

  This took some time to refactor the LibreOffice code, but we can say
this task is mostly behind us now. We can now focus on more interesting
stuff like the UI.

* Trees are the base of paper.

  LibreOffice is a tool to craft our paper/letter to our needs, the same
applies for beavers, he craft the tool to his/her needs.

I remember you had a NextCloud instance somewhere for design related
stuffs, but I can't find it any more. This is why I hosted the
propositions to my Google Drive account [3].

Please note the possibilities are endless, the eyes from proposition 5
can be mixed with the pencil from proposition 4 for example.

I'm waiting for your reviews.

If you have any questions wrt. communication and advertising or need
more explanation towards the choices regarding this animal, I'll let my
coworker, Nicolas, answer as this is basically his job :)

Looking forward to see a work designed by Pixinko used by such a big
open source community :)

NB.: Please put me in cc when replying as this email address is not
subscribed to the mailing lists.

Regards,

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaver
[2]
https://www.collaboraoffice.com/community-en/updated-libreoffice-growth-infographic-2016/
[3]
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5AYDzHdw6bQS2tuOGEwOEd5eEU/view?usp=sharing

--
William Gathoye
<[hidden email]>

Nicolas Vrithoffe Nicolas Vrithoffe

On 05/28/2017 01:21 PM, William Gathoye wrote:
> I have seen this topic a few weeks ago and kindly asked Nicolas, my
> coworker, who is a graphic designer specialized in advertising content
> working for Pixinko, to think to a mascot that could suit LibreOffice needs.
Thanks William for submitting my work and for introducing me to the
community.

> If you have any questions wrt. communication and advertising or need
> more explanation towards the choices regarding this animal, I'll let my
> coworker, Nicolas, answer as this is basically his job :)

I'll do my best to answer the questions LibreOffice members have and
apply their requested changes. :)

> Looking forward to see a work designed by Pixinko used by such a big
> open source community :)
Sure, this would be great.

> NB.: Please put me in cc when replying as this email address is not
> subscribed to the mailing lists.
I'm also not a subscriber. Please put me in to/cc as well.

> [3]
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5AYDzHdw6bQS2tuOGEwOEd5eEU/view?usp=sharing

Nicolas Vrithoffe

kainz.a kainz.a

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-design] Re: [libreoffice-projects] Re: LibreOffice Mascot

I read in the pad that colibri is one idea for an LibreOffice mascot.

Here an example of an coLibre
http://imgur.com/a/VXWNg

and with different background
http://imgur.com/a/VC2Uj

the design was community driven. I got very good improvements from the
telegram groups (LibreOffice and LibreOffice Design EN in addition from the
KDE VDG) so thanks for everybody to imporve the work.

If you think another animal was a good choise. I'll read the mailing list
and maybe I can prepare another mascot.

cheers
Andreas K

TomD TomD

Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Re: [libreoffice-design] Re: [libreoffice-projects] Re: LibreOffice Mascot

Hi :)
Hmmm, i really like the coLibres now

I still worry about rebranding though