LibreOffice / OpenOffice Calc very slow with Excel File

Vinod Nadiadwala Vinod Nadiadwala

LibreOffice / OpenOffice Calc very slow with Excel File

Hi, there
I am using LibreOffice 3.4.3 on Windows 7, i am moving my ogranization
office suite to LibreOffice from ms-office, but having some issues with
large excel files, most of the excel files works very very slow with
libreoffice, i have searched google but unable to find the solutions, you
can download sample file from the following URL which i have uploaded to my
organization website.

http://www.bhushitech.com/downloads/sample.xls
(File Size: Around 8 MB )

This is lowest size which i have, if i open this file in excel it works
well, but when i try to open it with LibreOffice Calc application it works
very slow, i have also tried it with OpenOffice 3.3 but still the issue is
same.

I have also tried converting it to the .ODS using fileconverter.com, file
size dramatically reduced (Around 300kb only) but still it takes around 15
min to open the file, and after opening if i move cursor it take lot of time
to move from one screen to another screen.

(MY PC Configuration is enough good, so the configuration is not an issue,
as i have also tried it on IBM X3400 SERVER's with 16 GB Memory)

Vinu

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: LibreOffice / OpenOffice Calc very slow with Excel File

H Vinod,

Vinod Nadiadwala wrote (25-09-11 18:31)

> I am using LibreOffice 3.4.3 on Windows 7, i am moving my ogranization
> office suite to LibreOffice from ms-office, but having some issues with
> large excel files, most of the excel files works very very slow with
> libreoffice,

Well, there is difference indeed. Especially with very large documents.
(Good news is that devs work on improving that - will take some time of
course.)

> http://www.bhushitech.com/downloads/sample.xls
> (File Size: Around 8 MB )

Opens in 30 seconds (on my test LibreOffice). But still strange slow
behaviour...

However, the file turns out to have 41472 empty (?) graphics on the
second sheet ...
I removed those with a macro (1), and it works fine now, I think.
File size 8,4 MB > 44 KB :-)

I send it to you right away.

Regards,
Cor

1)
Sub RemoveDSortOfGhostGraphics
        Dim oDrawPage, oGraph
        Dim i&, j&

        oDrawPage = ThisComponent.getDrawPages.getByIndex(1)
        j = oDrawPage.Count

        for i = j-1 to 0 step -1
                oGraph = oDrawPage.getByIndex(i)
                oGraph.dispose()
        Next

End Sub

--
  - Cor
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org

Andreas Säger Andreas Säger

Re: LibreOffice / OpenOffice Calc very slow with Excel File

Cross posting:
> http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=44259

Select sheet #2
Select all cells (Ctrl+A)
Edit>Delete contents...
Uncheck all options except "Objects"
Save
There were 4,500 objects on the sheet.

Spencer Graves-2 Spencer Graves-2

Re: LibreOffice / OpenOffice Calc very slow with Excel File

Hi, Andreas:

       Thanks.  I assume that solves this particular instance.

       However, evidently, this example exposes a problem with how
LibreOffice and OpenOffice interpret an Excel file, because the process
of opening that file in LibreOffice either created 4,500 objects that
weren't there or interpreted 4,500 objects in the file differently from
how Microsoft Office interpreted them.

       Remind me:  What is the procedure for submitting something like
this to the LibreOffice bug tracking system?

       Thanks,
       Spencer

On 9/25/2011 12:36 PM, Andreas Säger wrote:

> Cross posting:
>> http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=44259
>
> Select sheet #2
> Select all cells (Ctrl+A)
> Edit>Delete contents...
> Uncheck all options except "Objects"
> Save
> There were 4,500 objects on the sheet.

Tom Tom

Re: LibreOffice / OpenOffice Calc very slow with Excel File

Hi :)
The guide for how to post a bug-report is here
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport

      Thanks.  I assume that solves this particular instance.

      However, evidently, this example exposes a problem with how LibreOffice and OpenOffice interpret an Excel file, because the process of opening that file in LibreOffice either created 4,500 objects that weren't there or interpreted 4,500 objects in the file differently from how Microsoft Office interpreted them.

      Remind me:  What is the procedure for submitting something like this to the LibreOffice bug tracking system?

      Thanks,
      Spencer

On 9/25/2011 12:36 PM, Andreas Säger wrote:

> Cross posting:
>> http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=44259
>
> Select sheet #2
> Select all cells (Ctrl+A)
> Edit>Delete contents...
> Uncheck all options except "Objects"
> Save
> There were 4,500 objects on the sheet.

-- For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to: [hidden email]

Bill Gradwohl-2 Bill Gradwohl-2

On 09/25/2011 12:37 PM, Cor Nouws wrote:
> However, the file turns out to have 41472 empty (?) graphics on the
> second sheet ...
Cor:

This "creation" of objects is earily similar to the problems I
encountered where I would have numerous hidden buttons on a spreadsheet
that I never created. My document was created and used only under OO /
LO, never Excel.

Could the interpretation of the Excel document involve an internal
conversion to LO xml and then a read of that xml to actually "load" the
spreadsheet?  I'm convinced the xml writing/reading is the source of
many of the issues I've seen.

--
Bill Gradwohl

m.a.riosv m.a.riosv

Re: LibreOffice / OpenOffice Calc very slow with Excel File

With the navigator [F5] you can see that there are a lot of drawing objects.
Regards
Miguel Ángel

El 25/09/11 18:31, Vinod Nadiadwala escribió:

> Hi, there
> I am using LibreOffice 3.4.3 on Windows 7, i am moving my ogranization
> office suite to LibreOffice from ms-office, but having some issues with
> large excel files, most of the excel files works very very slow with
> libreoffice, i have searched google but unable to find the solutions, you
> can download sample file from the following URL which i have uploaded to my
> organization website.
>
> http://www.bhushitech.com/downloads/sample.xls
> (File Size: Around 8 MB )
>
> This is lowest size which i have, if i open this file in excel it works
> well, but when i try to open it with LibreOffice Calc application it works
> very slow, i have also tried it with OpenOffice 3.3 but still the issue is
> same.
>
> I have also tried converting it to the .ODS using fileconverter.com, file
> size dramatically reduced (Around 300kb only) but still it takes around 15
> min to open the file, and after opening if i move cursor it take lot of time
> to move from one screen to another screen.
>
> (MY PC Configuration is enough good, so the configuration is not an issue,
> as i have also tried it on IBM X3400 SERVER's with 16 GB Memory)
>

> Vinu

jorge-2 jorge-2

Re: LibreOffice / OpenOffice Calc very slow with Excel File

Hi

        I suggest you to do this (I did and it was good with your "sample.xls"
file)(But I did with OpenOffice 3.2 but I supposed it will be good too
with LO):

1) Open file with LO.
2) Save file in format microsoft excel 5.0 (xls) with Save As Menu

I did and the file was opened fast and well. Then I used that file to
save as .ods and all was well too.

Regards,

Jorge Rodríguez
_______________

--
Atentamente,

Jorge Rodríguez

NoOp NoOp

On 09/25/2011 01:30 PM, Spencer Graves wrote:

> Hi, Andreas:
>

>        Thanks.  I assume that solves this particular instance.
>

>        However, evidently, this example exposes a problem with how
> LibreOffice and OpenOffice interpret an Excel file, because the process
> of opening that file in LibreOffice either created 4,500 objects that
> weren't there or interpreted 4,500 objects in the file differently from
> how Microsoft Office interpreted them.
>

>        Remind me:  What is the procedure for submitting something like
> this to the LibreOffice bug tracking system?
Somthings odd about the xls itself. I opened sample.xls (8,555KB) in
Excel 2003 and saved as a .xml and the file size is 233KB - that file
opens fine in Excel and LO. From what I can tell, the xml file contains
all of the same data that the xls does. That said, there is definitely
an issue with LO:

Linux (same machine):
LO 3.3.4 crashes and/or I have to kill
LO 3.4.3 doesn't crash but loads the cpu to 92%+ and might as well kill
OOo-dev 3.4.0 same as LO 3.4.3
OOo 3.3.0 same as LO 3.4.3

Windows XP (same virtual machine - only 1MB memory assigned):
Excel 2003 opens, little slow on 'SHR' sheet, but usable
LO 3.3.4 pretty much unusable & drives the cpu to 100%
OOo-dev same as LO 3.3.4...

Note: also saving to .ods (193.2KB) and trying to open in OOo or LO is
pretty much unusable... drives the cpu to max & on one attempt took
nearly 20 minutes to open (linux). Extracting the .ods shows the
content.xml as 17.3MB (yes that's "MB", not "KB").

$ ls -l /home/gg/tempdir/G/OOotest/sample.ods_FILES
total 17820
drwx------ 11 gg gg     4096 2011-09-25 16:30 Configurations2
-rw-r--r--  1 gg gg 18183697 2011-09-25 21:53 content.xml
drwx------  2 gg gg     4096 2011-09-25 16:30 META-INF
-rw-r--r--  1 gg gg      808 2011-09-25 21:53 meta.xml
-rw-r--r--  1 gg gg       46 2011-09-25 21:53 mimetype
-rw-r--r--  1 gg gg     9834 2011-09-25 21:53 settings.xml
-rw-r--r--  1 gg gg    26830 2011-09-25 21:53 styles.xml
drwx------  2 gg gg     4096 2011-09-25 16:30 Thumbnails

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: LibreOffice / OpenOffice Calc very slow with Excel File

Hi Bill,

Bill Gradwohl wrote (25-09-11 23:59)

> On 09/25/2011 12:37 PM, Cor Nouws wrote:
>> However, the file turns out to have 41472 empty (?) graphics on the
>> second sheet ...
>
> This "creation" of objects is earily similar to the problems I
> encountered where I would have numerous hidden buttons on a spreadsheet
> that I never created. My document was created and used only under OO /
> LO, never Excel.
>
> Could the interpretation of the Excel document involve an internal
> conversion to LO xml and then a read of that xml to actually "load" the
> spreadsheet?

Yes, I think so.

> I'm convinced the xml writing/reading is the source of
> many of the issues I've seen.

Thanks for your comments.
Looking at the findings of various people here, I think this spreadsheet
is a good candidate for bugzilla, so that the devs can find out the
source of the problem..

  - Cor
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: LibreOffice / OpenOffice Calc very slow with Excel File

NoOp wrote (26-09-11 01:34)

> Windows XP (same virtual machine - only 1MB memory assigned):
> Excel 2003 opens, little slow on 'SHR' sheet, but usable

I did a test with Excel 2010 on a VM. Has some problems too. Crashed at
first attempt to open.
So I would not be surprised if there is something special with the document.

Am 25.09.2011 23:59, Bill Gradwohl wrote:
> On 09/25/2011 12:37 PM, Cor Nouws wrote:
>> However, the file turns out to have 41472 empty (?) graphics on the
>> second sheet ...
> Cor:
>
> This "creation" of objects is earily similar to the problems I
> encountered where I would have numerous hidden buttons on a spreadsheet
> that I never created. My document was created and used only under OO /
> LO, never Excel.

The 8 MB are made of thin air? Someone copied 3 objects "Text 1", "Text
2" and "Text 3" and then held Ctrl+V.
Apart from this binary shit storm, there are hundreds of different cell
formats in this tiny and most trivial spreadsheet.
It's the usual Excel madness were computer illiterate people edit the
same instance of a document thousands of times never using templates,
scenarios nor styles.