LibreOffice RC1 and language packs on Linux (Mandriva 2010.1)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
marcpare4 marcpare4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

LibreOffice RC1 and language packs on Linux (Mandriva 2010.1)

I have installed LibreOffice RC1 (US) with language packs UK, FR. When I
check to see if spelling is activated on the language packs that have
been downloaded, there is no check marks showing next to these
languages. I thought that this was usually the way to add specific
language dictionaries. Spellcheck does not seem to work in any language.

Am I doing something wrong?

Marc


--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/users/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

Harold Fuchs Harold Fuchs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LibreOffice RC1 and language packs on Linux (Mandriva 2010.1)


"Marc Paré" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:idivug$2bo$[hidden email]...
I have installed LibreOffice RC1 (US) with language packs UK, FR. When I
check to see if spelling is activated on the language packs that have
been downloaded, there is no check marks showing next to these
languages. I thought that this was usually the way to add specific
language dictionaries. Spellcheck does not seem to work in any language.

Am I doing something wrong?

Marc


As I understand it a Language Pack is designed to change the language of the
UI - menus, Help text etc. Language Packs have nothing to do with spell
checking or with the language(s) in which you write your documents. You need
Dictionaries which come in the form of "extensions".

I cannot find (Google) a web site for LibreOffice extensions so I suppose
you need to use the OpenOffice ones. Please, someone tell me I'm wrong about
this :-(

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England



--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/users/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

Joachim Wiedorn Joachim Wiedorn
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LibreOffice RC1 and language packs on Linux (Mandriva 2010.1)

In reply to this post by marcpare4
Marc Paré <[hidden email]> wrote on 2010-12-06 10:36:

> I have installed LibreOffice RC1 (US) with language packs UK, FR. When I
> check to see if spelling is activated on the language packs that have
> been downloaded, there is no check marks showing next to these

Do you have a spelling package installed? Please search here:
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org

E.g. for german spelling you need the package dict-de_DE_*.oxt or
dict-de_DE-frami_*.oxt. You can install this file with LibreOffice for
each user, or systemwide into the directory
/opt/libreoffice/share/extensions/

Have a nice day,

Joachim (Germany)


--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/users/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
Andrea Pescetti Andrea Pescetti
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LibreOffice RC1 and language packs on Linux (Mandriva 2010.1)

In reply to this post by Harold Fuchs
Harold Fuchs wrote:
> As I understand it a Language Pack is designed to change the language of the
> UI - menus, Help text etc. Language Packs have nothing to do with spell
> checking or with the language(s) in which you write your documents. You need
> Dictionaries which come in the form of "extensions".

This (no dictionaries in language packs) used to be the case for
OpenOffice.org language packs; but the OpenOffice.org (and thus, the
LibreOffice) architecture was modified in recent times to allow
inclusion of dictionaries in a language pack.

The current (3.3-RC) OpenOffice.org language packs do include
dictionaries, for example.

Regards,
  Andrea.


--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/users/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

marcpare4 marcpare4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LibreOffice RC1 and language packs on Linux (Mandriva 2010.1)

Le 2010-12-07 03:52, Andrea Pescetti a écrit :

> Harold Fuchs wrote:
>> As I understand it a Language Pack is designed to change the language of the
>> UI - menus, Help text etc. Language Packs have nothing to do with spell
>> checking or with the language(s) in which you write your documents. You need
>> Dictionaries which come in the form of "extensions".
>
> This (no dictionaries in language packs) used to be the case for
> OpenOffice.org language packs; but the OpenOffice.org (and thus, the
> LibreOffice) architecture was modified in recent times to allow
> inclusion of dictionaries in a language pack.
>
> The current (3.3-RC) OpenOffice.org language packs do include
> dictionaries, for example.
>
> Regards,
>    Andrea.
>
>

It doesn't work on my copy of LO 3.3RC1 on my Mandriva 2010.1 boxes (all
3). I downloaded the EN-UK and FR language packs but the dictionaries
did not work.

I then downloaded the dictionaries from here:
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/dictionaries?cid=926385 and
loaded them through the extension manager. The loaded dictionaries now
all work as they should.

Marc


--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/users/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

eskroni eskroni
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LibreOffice RC1 and language packs on Linux (Mandriva 2010.1)

Hi,

I can confirm, what Marc wrote.
With only the languagepack installed, spellcheck didn't work for me
either. Only after installing the extra dictionary from the OOo
extension website did it start working.

Sigrid

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/users/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
Andrea Pescetti Andrea Pescetti
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LibreOffice RC1 and language packs on Linux (Mandriva 2010.1)

Sigrid Carrera wrote:
> I can confirm, what Marc wrote.
> With only the languagepack installed, spellcheck didn't work for me
> either. Only after installing the extra dictionary from the OOo
> extension website did it start working.

OK, then this just means the packaging is unchanged in LibreOffice since
I reported this about two months ago in
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.discuss/574/focus=709
(you can read the complete thread from the link above).

Regards,
  Andrea.


--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/users/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

Joachim Wiedorn Joachim Wiedorn
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LibreOffice RC1 and language packs on Linux (Mandriva 2010.1)

In reply to this post by marcpare4
Marc Paré <[hidden email]> wrote on 2010-12-07 04:08:

> It doesn't work on my copy of LO 3.3RC1 on my Mandriva 2010.1 boxes (all
> 3). I downloaded the EN-UK and FR language packs but the dictionaries
> did not work.
>
> I then downloaded the dictionaries from here:
> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/dictionaries?cid=926385 and
> loaded them through the extension manager. The loaded dictionaries now
> all work as they should.

Please distinguish:

* spelling check (sometimes + thesaurus):  e.g. dict-de_DE_*.oxt
                                                dict-fr_FR_*.oxt

* grammar check (for many languages):    extension-languagetool package
                                         or LanguageTool_*.oxt


For systemwide installation please unpack the .oxt packages (= .zip)
into the directory:  /opt/libreoffice/share/extensions/

or do it with a simple script:

---------------------------------------------------------------
| #!/bin/bash
|
| INST=/opt/libreoffice/share/extensions/language-grammar-tool
| unzip LanguageTool*.oxt -d ${INST}
---------------------------------------------------------------

After all please logout and login (perhaps twice) and all should run.
I have tested it - it runs for me.


Have a nice day,

Joachim (Germany)


--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/users/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
marcpare4 marcpare4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LibreOffice RC1 and language packs on Linux (Mandriva 2010.1)

Le 2010-12-07 13:34, Joachim Wiedorn a écrit :

> Marc Paré<[hidden email]>  wrote on 2010-12-07 04:08:
>
>> It doesn't work on my copy of LO 3.3RC1 on my Mandriva 2010.1 boxes (all
>> 3). I downloaded the EN-UK and FR language packs but the dictionaries
>> did not work.
>>
>> I then downloaded the dictionaries from here:
>> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/dictionaries?cid=926385 and
>> loaded them through the extension manager. The loaded dictionaries now
>> all work as they should.
>
> Please distinguish:
>
> * spelling check (sometimes + thesaurus):  e.g. dict-de_DE_*.oxt
>                                                  dict-fr_FR_*.oxt
>
> * grammar check (for many languages):    extension-languagetool package
>                                           or LanguageTool_*.oxt
>
>
> For systemwide installation please unpack the .oxt packages (= .zip)
> into the directory:  /opt/libreoffice/share/extensions/
>
> or do it with a simple script:
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------
> | #!/bin/bash
> |
> | INST=/opt/libreoffice/share/extensions/language-grammar-tool
> | unzip LanguageTool*.oxt -d ${INST}
> ---------------------------------------------------------------
>
> After all please logout and login (perhaps twice) and all should run.
> I have tested it - it runs for me.
>
>
> Have a nice day,
>
> Joachim (Germany)
>
>

Thanks Joachim for the information.

I just hope that if users need to install dictionaries that they will be
accessible to them through the "Tools -> Language -> Install
dictionaries". This does NOT lead users to the dictionaries page. It
leads them to the:
http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:OpenOfficeExtensions/List?lang=en site
where there are NO dictionaries available except for a very few (2-3).
The real download site for now is:
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/dictionaries?cid=926385

Marc


--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/users/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
Harold Fuchs Harold Fuchs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LibreOffice RC1 and language packs on Linux (Mandriva 2010.1)


"Marc Paré" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:idm0o7$4gm$[hidden email]...

> Le 2010-12-07 13:34, Joachim Wiedorn a écrit :
>> Marc Paré<[hidden email]>  wrote on 2010-12-07 04:08:
>>
>>> It doesn't work on my copy of LO 3.3RC1 on my Mandriva 2010.1 boxes (all
>>> 3). I downloaded the EN-UK and FR language packs but the dictionaries
>>> did not work.
>>>
>>> I then downloaded the dictionaries from here:
>>> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/dictionaries?cid=926385 and
>>> loaded them through the extension manager. The loaded dictionaries now
>>> all work as they should.
>>
>> Please distinguish:
>>
>> * spelling check (sometimes + thesaurus):  e.g. dict-de_DE_*.oxt
>>                                                  dict-fr_FR_*.oxt
>>
>> * grammar check (for many languages):    extension-languagetool package
>>                                           or LanguageTool_*.oxt
>>
>>
>> For systemwide installation please unpack the .oxt packages (= .zip)
>> into the directory:  /opt/libreoffice/share/extensions/
>>
>> or do it with a simple script:
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------
>> | #!/bin/bash
>> |
>> | INST=/opt/libreoffice/share/extensions/language-grammar-tool
>> | unzip LanguageTool*.oxt -d ${INST}
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> After all please logout and login (perhaps twice) and all should run.
>> I have tested it - it runs for me.
>>
>>
>> Have a nice day,
>>
>> Joachim (Germany)
>>
>>
>
> Thanks Joachim for the information.
>
> I just hope that if users need to install dictionaries that they will be
> accessible to them through the "Tools -> Language -> Install
> dictionaries". This does NOT lead users to the dictionaries page. It leads
> them to the:
> http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:OpenOfficeExtensions/List?lang=en site
> where there are NO dictionaries available except for a very few (2-3). The
> real download site for now is:
> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/dictionaries?cid=926385
>
> Marc
>

Perhaps I'm being naive or overly simplistic but why are extensions for
LibreOffice to be found on an OpenOffice.org web site?

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England



--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/users/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
Miklos Vajna Miklos Vajna
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LibreOffice RC1 and language packs on Linux (Mandriva 2010.1)

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 01:02:33AM -0000, Harold Fuchs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Perhaps I'm being naive or overly simplistic but why are extensions for
> LibreOffice to be found on an OpenOffice.org web site?

Because extensions use the UNO API which is the same for OpenOffice.org
and LibreOffice.

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/users/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

marcpare4 marcpare4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LibreOffice RC1 and language packs on Linux (Mandriva 2010.1)

In reply to this post by Harold Fuchs
Le 2010-12-07 20:02, Harold Fuchs a écrit :

>
> Perhaps I'm being naive or overly simplistic but why are extensions for
> LibreOffice to be found on an OpenOffice.org web site?
>

The extensions repository on the LibreOffice site is not live yet and
OpenOffice and LibreOffice can use the same extensions. There are plans
for an "Extensions" repository on the final Drupal LibreOffice website.

Marc


--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/users/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
gomadtroll gomadtroll
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LibreOffice RC1 and language packs on Linux (Mandriva 2010.1)

In reply to this post by Andrea Pescetti


On Tuesday 07 December 2010 12:51:15 am Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> Sigrid Carrera wrote:
> > I can confirm, what Marc wrote.
> > With only the languagepack installed, spellcheck didn't work for me
> > either. Only after installing the extra dictionary from the OOo
> > extension website did it start working.
>
> OK, then this just means the packaging is unchanged in LibreOffice since
> I reported this about two months ago in
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.discuss/574/focus=709
> (you can read the complete thread from the link above).
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

i read the link, thank you.      i am using the deb packages and it seems that
dictionaries are not part of the Libreoffice RC1 package..this is because, if I
read the link right, Linux provides system wide dictionaries.

I find this to be true for the deb packages, I installed myspell from Debians
repository, (use a package manager not LO extension manager) and I have a
dictionary to check spelling. The spell checking was working but no dict to
search.

--
Peace,

Greg

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/users/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

eskroni eskroni
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LibreOffice RC1 and language packs on Linux (Mandriva 2010.1)

Hi Greg,

2010/12/8 Greg Madden <[hidden email]>:
>
>
> On Tuesday 07 December 2010 12:51:15 am Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> Sigrid Carrera wrote:

[...]

>
> i read the link, thank you.      i am using the deb packages and it seems that
> dictionaries are not part of the Libreoffice RC1 package..this is because, if I
> read the link right, Linux provides system wide dictionaries.
>
> I find this to be true for the deb packages, I installed myspell from Debians
> repository, (use a package manager not LO extension manager) and I have a
> dictionary to check spelling. The spell checking was working but no dict to
> search.

That sounds logical - and in fact, my mandriva installation has
systemwide dictionaries. I have aspell and myspell installed myself.
But still, LibO didn't use them, the spellcheck was non-functioning.

So, if your assumption is true, then there has to be changed
something, because if I  have spellcheck enabled, it should work.

Sigrid

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/users/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
marcpare4 marcpare4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LibreOffice RC1 and language packs on Linux (Mandriva 2010.1)

In reply to this post by marcpare4
Le 2010-12-06 10:36, Marc Paré a écrit :

> I have installed LibreOffice RC1 (US) with language packs UK, FR. When I
> check to see if spelling is activated on the language packs that have
> been downloaded, there is no check marks showing next to these
> languages. I thought that this was usually the way to add specific
> language dictionaries. Spellcheck does not seem to work in any language.
>
> Am I doing something wrong?
>
> Marc
>
>

Thanks for helping out.

I have been advised on the developer's list (Michael Meeks) to add this
as a bug and label it as a possible "stopper" for RC1. You can find the
submission here: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=32235 .

Marc


--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://www.libreoffice.org/lists/users/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***