LibreOffice Sinhala Documentation

Danishka Navin Danishka Navin

LibreOffice Sinhala Documentation

Hi there,

After having a discussion with an official from Department of Education,
Southern Provincial Education, in Sri Lanka, we would like to try out
collaborative documentation contribution for Libreoffice Sinhala.

How we can commence the work form the scratch?
Can we have our own guide instead of sync with offiial English manual?

Danishka Navin
http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/danishkanavin

Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf

Re: LibreOffice Sinhala Documentation

Hi Danishka,

> Can we have our own guide instead of sync with offiial English manual?

You must not sync with the English manual. I have made the same here in
Germany: A separate Base Handbook (just correcting for LO 6.1 at this
time) and a seperate explanation of XML-Forms.

So create your own guide and publish it. If there are people, who could
translate it to English it would be a good idea. Could be you will find
parts of your guide later in the English manual and in the manual of
other countries.

Regards

Robert

Olivier Hallot-4 Olivier Hallot-4

Em 23/08/2018 11:17, Robert Großkopf escreveu:
>> Can we have our own guide instead of sync with offiial English manual?
> You must not sync with the English manual.

I don't get why the community can't sync with the English manual.
Several languages have the English manual as source for translation or
reference for other works. IANAL, but the Creative Commons license used
in the Guides permits.

Kind regards
--
Olivier Hallot
LibreOffice Documentation Coordinator

Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf

Re: LibreOffice Sinhala Documentation

Hi Oliver,

> I don't get why the community can't sync with the English manual.

For example:

There doesn't exist an English manual for the special theme. My manuals
(Base Handbook and XML-Forms) I haven't found there and I could better
write it in my own language and hope somebody could translate it. If I
would translate it to English I'm shure it won't be readable.

Examples, which are a part of the manual, could be different for other
countries. So if somebody needs a manual for education, as I could read
in Danishkas mail, they would prefer another kind of examples ...

Regards

Robert

sophie sophie

Re: LibreOffice Sinhala Documentation

Hi Olivier, all,
Le 23/08/2018 à 16:36, Olivier Hallot a écrit :

> Hi
>
> Em 23/08/2018 11:17, Robert Großkopf escreveu:
>>> Can we have our own guide instead of sync with offiial English manual?
>> You must not sync with the English manual.
>
> I don't get why the community can't sync with the English manual.
> Several languages have the English manual as source for translation or
> reference for other works. IANAL, but the Creative Commons license used
> in the Guides permits.

In fact Danishka is in contact with a project in primary school already
providing content on LibreOffice. What he would like is to be able to
use our collaboration tools and workflow to further the work. I told him
to come here because I think it's possible.
@Danishka, on the sample document you sent me, there is no license,
would it be possible to discuss with the team which license they are
willing to use (ours is CC Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 for documentation).

Cheers
Sophie

--
Sophie Gautier [hidden email]
GSM: +33683901545

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 9:25 PM sophi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Olivier, all,
> Le 23/08/2018 à 16:36, Olivier Hallot a écrit :
> > Hi

> >> You must not sync with the English manual.
> >
> > I don't get why the community can't sync with the English manual.
> > Several languages have the English manual as source for translation or
> > reference for other works. IANAL, but the Creative Commons license used
> > in the Guides permits.
>
> In fact Danishka is in contact with a project in primary school already
> providing content on LibreOffice. What he would like is to be able to
> use our collaboration tools and workflow to further the work. I told him
> to come here because I think it's possible.

Yes, my plan is not to force our contributors to follow exact official
LibreOffice documentation but start with basics and follow the continuous
improvements.
This will help us to use product within a short time instead of waiting for
months to complete.

@Danishka, on the sample document you sent me, there is no license,
> would it be possible to discuss with the team which license they are
> willing to use (ours is CC Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 for documentation).

Sophi,

Totally missed it. Thanks for reminding.
No issue with the license, we can use CC Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 as well.

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 10:27 PM Danishka Navin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 9:25 PM sophi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Olivier, all,
>> Le 23/08/2018 à 16:36, Olivier Hallot a écrit :
>> > Hi

>> > I don't get why the community can't sync with the English manual.
>> > Several languages have the English manual as source for translation or
>> > reference for other works. IANAL, but the Creative Commons license used
>> > in the Guides permits.
>>
>> In fact Danishka is in contact with a project in primary school already
>> providing content on LibreOffice. What he would like is to be able to
>> use our collaboration tools and workflow to further the work. I told him
>> to come here because I think it's possible.
>>

> Yes, my plan is not to force our contributors to follow exact official
> LibreOffice documentation but start with basics and follow the continuous
> improvements.
> This will help us to use product within a short time instead of waiting
> for months to complete.
>

> @Danishka, on the sample document you sent me, there is no license,
>> would it be possible to discuss with the team which license they are
>> willing to use (ours is CC Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 for documentation).
>>

> Sophi,
>
> Totally missed it. Thanks for reminding.
> No issue with the license, we can use CC Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 as
> well.

So, how I can proceed with collaboration tool?
How to request access?

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Re: LibreOffice Sinhala Documentation

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 12:37 AM Olivier Hallot
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Em 23/08/2018 11:17, Robert Großkopf escreveu:
> >> Can we have our own guide instead of sync with offiial English manual?
> > You must not sync with the English manual.
>
> I don't get why the community can't sync with the English manual.

I think Robert means "you are not required to sync with the English manual".

Jean

Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf

Re: LibreOffice Sinhala Documentation

hi jean,

Am 24.08.2018 um 03:41 schrieb Jean Weber:

> On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 12:37 AM Olivier Hallot
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi

>>> You must not sync with the English manual.
>>
>> I don't get why the community can't sync with the English manual.
>
> I think Robert means "you are not required to sync with the English manual".

Exact. My English isn't so good to express it this way.

Regards

Robert