LibreOffice and Java Security:

lj lj

LibreOffice and Java Security:

Hi all,
I am not sure if this is the correct list for this message.
I recently read this article about a Java 1.7 Security Problem.
Does this problem concern LibreOffice and Java???
This macrumors article post and reads that this problem effects java
versions 4-7. At the moment oracle are at java 7.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/11/apple-blocks-java-7-on-os-x-to-address-widespread-security-threat/

The Forbes article reveals that Mozilla, and Apple are advising users to
disable Java on there machines because of this security problem.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/eliseackerman/2013/01/11/us-department-of-homeland-security-calls-on-computer-users-to-disable-java/

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2013/01/11/apple-takes-no-prisoners-immediately-blocks-java-7-on-os-x-10-6-and-up-to-protect-mac-users/

Can I use LibreOffice without Java enabled on my computer?? As I receive
annoying pop up windows when I first use libreoffice to install Java on
Apple OS X Mountain Lion.

Terrence Enger Terrence Enger

Re: LibreOffice and Java Security:

I cannot address the important question, but ...

On Sun, 2013-01-13 at 14:22 +1100, lj wrote:
>  Can I use LibreOffice without Java enabled on my computer?? As I receive
>  annoying pop up windows when I first use libreoffice to install Java on
>  Apple OS X Mountain Lion.

One of my systems lacks java, and I quite often run LibreOffice there.
I understand that Base (i.e., database access) requires java, but
everything else should work.  My experience is with Linux; you might
find things a bit different.

HTH,
Terry.

Larry Gusaas Larry Gusaas

On 2013-01-12 9:22 PM lj wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am not sure if this is the correct list for this message.
> I recently read this article about a Java 1.7 Security Problem.

The article states "The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has recommended that users disable
the Java 7 browser plug-in entirely".

There have been multiple security vulnerabilities in the browser plug-in over the years and it
is best not to enable java in your browser.

> Does this problem concern LibreOffice and Java???

No. It only affects the browser plug-in.

> This macrumors article post and reads that this problem effects java
> versions 4-7. At the moment oracle are at java 7.
>
> http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/11/apple-blocks-java-7-on-os-x-to-address-widespread-security-threat/

The full title of the article is "Apple Blocks Java 7 Plug-in on OS X to Address Widespread
Security Threat"

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

NoOp NoOp

On 01/12/2013 09:53 PM, Larry Gusaas wrote:

> On 2013-01-12 9:22 PM lj wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I am not sure if this is the correct list for this message.
>> I recently read this article about a Java 1.7 Security Problem.
>
> The article states "The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has recommended that users disable
> the Java 7 browser plug-in entirely".
>
> There have been multiple security vulnerabilities in the browser plug-in over the years and it
> is best not to enable java in your browser.
>
>> Does this problem concern LibreOffice and Java???
>
> No. It only affects the browser plug-in.

I wonder...
<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/security/cpujan2013-1515902.html>

<http://docs.libreoffice.org/>
(search on java in that page)

Dennis E. Hamilton Dennis E. Hamilton

RE: LibreOffice and Java Security:

This just out:

<https://blogs.oracle.com/security/entry/security_alert_for_cve_2013>

(Thanks to Simon Phipps for the link.)

Note that the vulnerabilities "only affect Oracle Java 7 versions."

 - Dennis

lj lj

Re: LibreOffice and Java Security:

Hi,

Thank you for the links.

I am currently on Mac OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard with Java disabled on
LibreOffice and it is working normally.
I will test out the  Java 7 on Mac OSX Mountain Lion for the fixed
vulnerability in Java. The Mac OSX Mountain Lion System is running Java SE6
with LibreOffice at the momment. I think it is version 1.6.37.
That is the standard version which I installed when OSX Mountain Lion
prompted me to install Java for LibreOffice, when I first installed it and
ran the application.
 Mac OSX Mountain Lion does not come pre-installed with Java Software.

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 8:26 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton <[hidden email]