LibreOffice getting traction ... OpenOffice losing out

marcpare4 marcpare4

LibreOffice getting traction ... OpenOffice losing out

  My impressions:

I am getting the distinct impression that the "LibreOffice" has caught
on (finally) and that if Oracle were to give back the "OpenOffice" name,
many groups would be disappointed. More and more people are identifying
with the  brand name and the media is on side.

Wouldn't it be amazing if Oracle gave us the name back. What a dilema.
We should be prepared to keep both names. But I really think that the
LibreOffice has caught on. If it gets on a lot of repositories it will
solidify even more the branding for people.

Once the localisation efforts have enabled more LibO localised
downloads, the download count will obviously rise quite a bit.

Does anyone know how the localisations are doing and a forecast
estimation as to when they will be ready for distribution on the
downloads pages?

Marc

Jon Hamkins-2 Jon Hamkins-2

Re: LibreOffice getting traction ... OpenOffice losing out

On 10/08/2010 10:30 AM, Marc Paré wrote:
> My impressions:
>
> I am getting the distinct impression that the "LibreOffice" has caught
> on (finally) and that if Oracle were to give back the "OpenOffice" name,
> many groups would be disappointed. More and more people are identifying
> with the brand name and the media is on side.
>
> Wouldn't it be amazing if Oracle gave us the name back. What a dilema.

Let's not go overboard.  OpenOffice.org still has a huge marketing
advantage over LibreOffice and we should be ready to drop LibreOffice
entirely if we get the OOo trademark.

      ----Jon

marcpare4 marcpare4

  Le 2010-10-11 15:41, Jon Hamkins a écrit :

> On 10/08/2010 10:30 AM, Marc Paré wrote:
>> My impressions:
>>
>> I am getting the distinct impression that the "LibreOffice" has caught
>> on (finally) and that if Oracle were to give back the "OpenOffice" name,
>> many groups would be disappointed. More and more people are identifying
>> with the brand name and the media is on side.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be amazing if Oracle gave us the name back. What a dilema.
>
> Let's not go overboard.  OpenOffice.org still has a huge marketing
> advantage over LibreOffice and we should be ready to drop LibreOffice
> entirely if we get the OOo trademark.
>
>      ----Jon

Yes, I agree. I just thought I would make this statement as everyone is
getting onboard with the LibreOffice name, which is great.

Marc