LibreOffice on LinuxMint Debian Edition...

zed zed

LibreOffice on LinuxMint Debian Edition...

I have downloaded libreoffice-build-3.3.0.1 to install on my Desktop, which
is running LMDE (a Mint edition based on Debian)

Pasted below is the result of my ./configure comaand

zed@zed ~ $ sudo -s
[sudo] password for zed:
zed zed # cd /home/zed/Downloads/Linux/Extracted/libreoffice-build-3.3.0.1
zed libreoffice-build-3.3.0.1 # ./configure
bash: ./configure: Permission denied
zed libreoffice-build-3.3.0.1 #

and the question is "Why am I getting this error when I am logged in as
root?"

Zed
--
Zed
Looking Good!

MR ZenWiz MR ZenWiz

Re: LibreOffice on LinuxMint Debian Edition...

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 11:41 AM, Zed <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have downloaded libreoffice-build-3.3.0.1 to install on my Desktop, which
> is running LMDE (a Mint edition based on Debian)

Well, yes - Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu, which is a derivative of Debian.

> Pasted below is the result of my ./configure comaand
>
> zed@zed ~ $ sudo -s
> [sudo] password for zed:
> zed zed # cd /home/zed/Downloads/Linux/Extracted/libreoffice-build-3.3.0.1
> zed libreoffice-build-3.3.0.1 # ./configure
> bash: ./configure: Permission denied

Usually this means that you haven't set the permissions to allow
configure to execute.

I am curious, though - have you tried downloading and installing the
Debian (*.deb) files for LO?  I use LO on Ubuntu and it installed and
works just fine ootb.

Joachim Wiedorn Joachim Wiedorn

MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote on 2011-01-17 12:34:

> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 11:41 AM, Zed <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I have downloaded libreoffice-build-3.3.0.1 to install on my Desktop, which
> > is running LMDE (a Mint edition based on Debian)
> >
> Well, yes - Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu, which is a derivative of Debian.
It seems Mint switched to Debian in September 2010 (see Linux-User 02.2011
of Germany).

> > Pasted below is the result of my ./configure comaand
That means you have downloaded the source code? Then you need two packages.
Please read the detailed infos about compiling LO sources by yourself - and
give your computer much time (usually for the first run ~ 12 hours).

> > zed@zed ~ $ sudo -s
> > [sudo] password for zed:
> > zed zed # cd /home/zed/Downloads/Linux/Extracted/libreoffice-build-3.3.0.1
> > zed libreoffice-build-3.3.0.1 # ./configure
> > bash: ./configure: Permission denied
>
> Usually this means that you haven't set the permissions to allow
> configure to execute.
E.g. your partition is mounted with option "noexec" ?

> I am curious, though - have you tried downloading and installing the
> Debian (*.deb) files for LO?  I use LO on Ubuntu and it installed and
> works just fine ootb.
This is the easier way - which I have done, too.
Then LO runs in not more then two minutes.
Then installing dictionaries ... two more minutes.
Perfectly!

---
Have a nice day.

Joachim (Germany)

Tom Tom

Re: LibreOffice on LinuxMint Debian Edition...

In a "How to install LO" that i was proof-reading a few days ago it had sections
for "Debian / Ubuntu" and later on another section for "Other distros".  At the
time i was wondering how to make it clearer because there are numerous forks
from Ubuntu and even from Debian.  So, listing all of them is not a viable
option.

Any suggestions might be interesting

________________________________

zed zed

Re: LibreOffice on LinuxMint Debian Edition...

MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 11:41 AM, Zed <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I have downloaded libreoffice-build-3.3.0.1 to install on my Desktop,
> > which is running LMDE (a Mint edition based on Debian)
> >
> Well, yes - Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu, which is a derivative of
> Debian.
>
> > Pasted below is the result of my ./configure comaand
> >
> > zed@zed ~ $ sudo -s [sudo] password for zed: zed zed # cd
> > /home/zed/Downloads/Linux/Extracted/libreoffice-build-3.3.0.1 zed
> > libreoffice-build-3.3.0.1 # ./configure bash: ./configure: Permission
> > denied
>
> Usually this means that you haven't set the permissions to allow configure
> to execute.
>
> I am curious, though - have you tried downloading and installing the
> Debian (*.deb) files for LO?  I use LO on Ubuntu and it installed and
> works just fine ootb.

Thank you for a very prompt response.

I have now dowloaded and installed the Debian (*.deb) files and all is
working.  However, when I try to install the GB (English) pack
(LibO_3.3.0rc3_Linux_x86-64_helppack-deb_en-GB), I get the error message

zed@zed ~ $ cd
/home/zed/Downloads/LibO_3.3.0rc3_Linux_x86-64_helppack-deb_en-GB/DEBS
zed@zed ~/Downloads/LibO_3.3.0rc3_Linux_x86-64_helppack-deb_en-GB/DEBS $
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
[sudo] password for zed:
(Reading database ... 209231 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libobasis3.3-en-gb-help 3.3.0-19 (using
libobasis3.3-en-gb-help_3.3.0-19_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libobasis3.3-en-gb-help ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libobasis3.3-en-gb-help:
 libobasis3.3-en-gb-help depends on libobasis3.3-en-gb; however:
  Package libobasis3.3-en-gb is not installed.
dpkg: error processing libobasis3.3-en-gb-help (--install):
 libobasis3.3-en-gb-help

Trying to install that package leads to

zed@zed ~ $ sudo apt-get install libobasis3.3-en-gb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package libobasis3.3-en-gb is not available, but is referred to by another
package.
is only available from another source

E: Package 'libobasis3.3-en-gb' has no installation candidate

A search for the package leads to Ubuntu PPAs but as I am using the Debian
edition of LinuxMint, I am reluctant to use these, in case there are future
problems.

Any further advice would be appreciated.

Zed

--
Zed
Dead Atheist:  All dressed up with no place to go.

zed zed

Joachim Wiedorn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote on 2011-01-17 12:34:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 11:41 AM, Zed <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > I have downloaded libreoffice-build-3.3.0.1 to install on my Desktop,
> > > which is running LMDE (a Mint edition based on Debian)
> > >
> > Well, yes - Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu, which is a derivative of
> > Debian.
> It seems Mint switched to Debian in September 2010 (see Linux-User 02.2011
> of Germany).

Yes, I changed to the Debian Edition at that time.  It has worked
flawlessly!

[snip]

> > I am curious, though - have you tried downloading and installing the
> > Debian (*.deb) files for LO?  I use LO on Ubuntu and it installed and
> > works just fine ootb.
> This is the easier way - which I have done, too. Then LO runs in not more
> then two minutes. Then installing dictionaries ... two more minutes.
> Perfectly!

As you will see,  I've now taken the advice of MR ZenWiz and installed the
Debian package.  However, I've run into further problems.  See my reply to
MR ZedWiz.

> --- Have a nice day.

and the same to you, too.
> Joachim (Germany)

Zed in New Zealand.

Zed

--
Zed
What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything, and the value of

Mark-4 Mark-4

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Zed <[hidden email]> wrote:
:

>  libobasis3.3-en-gb-help
>
> Trying to install that package leads to
>
> zed@zed ~ $ sudo apt-get install libobasis3.3-en-gb
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package libobasis3.3-en-gb is not available, but is referred to by another
> package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source
>
> E: Package 'libobasis3.3-en-gb' has no installation candidate

The packages are not in the usual Ubuntu repositories, so I doubt that
they're in Mint's, either.  You probably can't get them via apt at
all.  (I could be wrong here....)

However, as I don't use any language packs other than US English (if
you can call it that), I'm not sure what you need to do.  I suspect
you'll have to find the necessary .deb files, either in your download
or from the lireoffice site and install them with dpkg.

Greg Madden-2 Greg Madden-2

On Monday 17 January 2011 02:02:13 pm Zed wrote:

> MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 11:41 AM, Zed <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > I have downloaded libreoffice-build-3.3.0.1 to install on my Desktop,
> > > which is running LMDE (a Mint edition based on Debian)
> >
> > Well, yes - Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu, which is a derivative of
> > Debian.
> >
> > > Pasted below is the result of my ./configure comaand
> > >
> > > zed@zed ~ $ sudo -s [sudo] password for zed: zed zed # cd
> > > /home/zed/Downloads/Linux/Extracted/libreoffice-build-3.3.0.1 zed
> > > libreoffice-build-3.3.0.1 # ./configure bash: ./configure: Permission
> > > denied
> >
> > Usually this means that you haven't set the permissions to allow
> > configure to execute.
> >
> > I am curious, though - have you tried downloading and installing the
> > Debian (*.deb) files for LO?  I use LO on Ubuntu and it installed and
> > works just fine ootb.
>
> Thank you for a very prompt response.
>
> I have now dowloaded and installed the Debian (*.deb) files and all is
> working.  However, when I try to install the GB (English) pack
> (LibO_3.3.0rc3_Linux_x86-64_helppack-deb_en-GB), I get the error message

snip

LXDE is 100% compatible with Debian testing, make sure you have that source in
your sources.list. Not sure about the specific error though.

FYI, Debian experimental has LO packages.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.

gomadtroll gomadtroll

Re: LibreOffice on LinuxMint Debian Edition...

On Monday 17 January 2011 02:02:13 pm Zed wrote:

> MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 11:41 AM, Zed <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > I have downloaded libreoffice-build-3.3.0.1 to install on my Desktop,
> > > which is running LMDE (a Mint edition based on Debian)
> >
> > Well, yes - Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu, which is a derivative of
> > Debian.
> >
> > > Pasted below is the result of my ./configure comaand
> > >
> > > zed@zed ~ $ sudo -s [sudo] password for zed: zed zed # cd
> > > /home/zed/Downloads/Linux/Extracted/libreoffice-build-3.3.0.1 zed
> > > libreoffice-build-3.3.0.1 # ./configure bash: ./configure: Permission
> > > denied
> >
> > Usually this means that you haven't set the permissions to allow
> > configure to execute.
> >
> > I am curious, though - have you tried downloading and installing the
> > Debian (*.deb) files for LO?  I use LO on Ubuntu and it installed and
> > works just fine ootb.
>
> Thank you for a very prompt response.
>
> I have now dowloaded and installed the Debian (*.deb) files and all is
> working.  However, when I try to install the GB (English) pack
> (LibO_3.3.0rc3_Linux_x86-64_helppack-deb_en-GB), I get the error message

snip

LXDE is 100% compatible with Debian testing, make sure you have that source in
your sources.list. Not sure about the specific error though.

FYI, Debian experimental has LO packages.

--
Peace,

Greg

Terry Warby Terry Warby

On 17/01/11 23:20, Mark wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Zed<[hidden email]>  wrote:
> :
>>   libobasis3.3-en-gb-help
>>
>> Trying to install that package leads to
>>
>> zed@zed ~ $ sudo apt-get install libobasis3.3-en-gb
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> Package libobasis3.3-en-gb is not available, but is referred to by another
>> package.
>> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
>> is only available from another source
>>
>> E: Package 'libobasis3.3-en-gb' has no installation candidate
>>
> The packages are not in the usual Ubuntu repositories, so I doubt that
> they're in Mint's, either.  You probably can't get them via apt at
> all.  (I could be wrong here....)
>
> However, as I don't use any language packs other than US English (if
> you can call it that), I'm not sure what you need to do.  I suspect
> you'll have to find the necessary .deb files, either in your download
> or from the lireoffice site and install them with dpkg.

There are 3 files that you require to install, the en-US install file,
the en-GB language pack and the en-GB heIp pack, if you want a GB
English setup. All of these are available as deb downloads. It looks to
me as if you have only tried to install the the help pack following the
main install file. This could be your problem. I suggest you try
installing the language pack before the help pack. It worked for me on
Xubuntu 10.10.

Hope this helps

Terry W

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: LibreOffice on LinuxMint Debian Edition...

Le 18/01/11 00:02, Zed a écrit :

Hi,

There is apparently a special order in which to install the debs (and
the RPMS for other distribs using RPM packages), thanks in no small part
due to the separation of the help from the language packs in the RC3
release (of which most of the public were unaware).

1) First install the LibreOffice US deb.
2) Then install your GB langpack deb.
3) Then install the GB helppack deb.

I admit to not having tried this, but this is what I believe is
considered to work (at least on other DEB based platforms with separate
language and help packs.

Alex

Fabián Rodríguez-3 Fabián Rodríguez-3

On 11-01-17 06:02 PM, Zed wrote:
> [..]
> A search for the package leads to Ubuntu PPAs but as I am using the Debian
> edition of LinuxMint, I am reluctant to use these, in case there are future
> problems.
>
> Any further advice would be appreciated.
>
> Zed
Hi Zed,

I would use the .deb packages for now if I were you. I couldn't find any
references to LibreOffice in the LMDE community resources. The Ubuntu
PPA is bound to have specific tweaks for Ubuntu and if you have any bugs
you won't be able to file them there as the bug tracker is for the
Ubuntu version running on Ubuntu. OTOH if you use .debs you can file
bugs in Mint [1] or upstream at FreeDesktop.org [2].

As Terry and Alexander indicated, you need the lang pack to be installed
first. In a few steps:

1) Make a directoy for your install files:
mkdir libo-debs

2) Change into it:
cd libo-debs

3) Get the ENglish-US installer and en-GB langpack + help file:
wget -c
http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/testing/3.3.0-rc3/deb/x86/LibO_3.3.0rc3_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz
wget -c
http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/testing/3.3.0-rc3/deb/x86/LibO_3.3.0rc3_Linux_x86_langpack-deb_en-GB.tar.gz
http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/testing/3.3.0-rc3/deb/x86/LibO_3.3.0rc3_Linux_x86_helppack-deb_en-GB.tar.gz

4) Extract all the archives:
tar -xvzf LibO_3.3.0rc3_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz
tar -xvzf LibO_3.3.0rc3_Linux_x86_langpack-deb_en-GB.tar.gz
tar -xvzf LibO_3.3.0rc3_Linux_x86_helppack-deb_en-GB.tar.gz

5) Install all the .debs:
sudo dpkg -R -i .

I only had an Ubuntu 10.10 system available to test the above, let me
know if that works for you. You will need to adjust the package names
and locations accordingly if you use a 32-bit system.

This is essentially the same as the official instructions here (only
saving a few steps as -R in the above command goes into directories
recursively for you):
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_LibreOffice_on_Linux

Cheers,

Fabián

--
LibreOffice questions ? Des questions sur LibreOffice ? Preguntas acerca
de LibreOffice ? Ask LibreOffice: http://libreoffice.shapado.com/

On 11-01-18 02:37 PM, Fabián Rodríguez wrote:
> if you use .debs you can file
> bugs in Mint [1] or upstream at FreeDesktop.org [2].
Sorry, forgot the links:

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint

[2]
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=LibreOffice
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport

zed zed

Fabián Rodríguez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11-01-17 06:02 PM, Zed wrote:
> > [..] A search for the package leads to Ubuntu PPAs but as I am using the
> > Debian edition of LinuxMint, I am reluctant to use these, in case there
> > are future problems.
> >
> > Any further advice would be appreciated.
> >
> > Zed
> Hi Zed,
>
> I would use the .deb packages for now if I were you. I couldn't find any
> references to LibreOffice in the LMDE community resources. The Ubuntu PPA
> is bound to have specific tweaks for Ubuntu and if you have any bugs you
> won't be able to file them there as the bug tracker is for the Ubuntu
> version running on Ubuntu. OTOH if you use .debs you can file bugs in Mint
> [1] or upstream at FreeDesktop.org [2].
>
> As Terry and Alexander indicated, you need the lang pack to be installed
> first. In a few steps:

[snip] information read and used.

Thank you Fabian and all the other helpful people on the list.  I did as
suggested and installed the packages in the correct order and everything is
working, other than that the Spellchecker does not work.

In Tools>Language>Select>Text -  English (NZ) is checked but when I type a
word incorrectly, e.g. color instead of colour, the word is not highlighted
as mispelt. Even a series of characters typed at random are not highlighted
as incorrect.

The only languages shown are English (NZ) and English (USA) even though
English (GB) is shown as installed in Synaptic.

Any advice how I can get the spell checker working, please?  It is probably
something I have done incorrectly but I cannot think waht :-(

Zed

--
Zed
Q: Why are Blonde jokes so short? A: So men can remember them.

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: LibreOffice on LinuxMint Debian Edition...

Le 19/01/11 06:43, Zed a écrit :

Hi Zed,

> Any advice how I can get the spell checker working, please?  It is probably
> something I have done incorrectly but I cannot think waht :-(

This might actually be a bug of the RC3 version, I seem to recall having
seen someone else mention (on one of the French lists ?) that their
spellchecker didn't work, or possibly in the freedesktop bug database.

Alex

Tom Tom

Re: LibreOffice on LinuxMint Debian Edition...

I thought Mint was built to be able to use Ubuntu repositories?  There is an
issue now it has been re-based onto Debian but it would be good if someone could
experiment with this, perhaps on a virtual machine or on a spare partition with
Mint freshly installed to it.

Perhaps ask in the regular Debian forums or at
http://www.linuxquestions.org

Is anyone able to do this?

________________________________
Fabián Rodríguez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11-01-17 06:02 PM, Zed wrote:
> > [..] A search for the package leads to Ubuntu PPAs but as I am using the
> > Debian edition of LinuxMint, I am reluctant to use these, in case there
> > are future problems.
> >
> > Any further advice would be appreciated.
> >
> > Zed
> Hi Zed,
>
> I would use the .deb packages for now if I were you. I couldn't find any
> references to LibreOffice in the LMDE community resources. The Ubuntu PPA
> is bound to have specific tweaks for Ubuntu and if you have any bugs you
> won't be able to file them there as the bug tracker is for the Ubuntu
> version running on Ubuntu. OTOH if you use .debs you can file bugs in Mint
> [1] or upstream at FreeDesktop.org [2].
>
> As Terry and Alexander indicated, you need the lang pack to be installed
> first. In a few steps:

[snip] information read and used.

Thank you Fabian and all the other helpful people on the list.  I did as
suggested and installed the packages in the correct order and everything is
working, other than that the Spellchecker does not work.

In Tools>Language>Select>Text -  English (NZ) is checked but when I type a
word incorrectly, e.g. color instead of colour, the word is not highlighted
as mispelt. Even a series of characters typed at random are not highlighted
as incorrect.

The only languages shown are English (NZ) and English (USA) even though
English (GB) is shown as installed in Synaptic.

Any advice how I can get the spell checker working, please?  It is probably
something I have done incorrectly but I cannot think waht :-(

Zed

--
Zed
Q: Why are Blonde jokes so short? A: So men can remember them.

MR ZenWiz MR ZenWiz

Re: LibreOffice on LinuxMint Debian Edition...

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 11:53 PM, Alexander Thurgood
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Le 19/01/11 06:43, Zed a écrit :
>>
>> Any advice how I can get the spell checker working, please?  It is probably
>> something I have done incorrectly but I cannot think waht :-(
>
> This might actually be a bug of the RC3 version, I seem to recall having
> seen someone else mention (on one of the French lists ?) that their
> spellchecker didn't work, or possibly in the freedesktop bug database.

I was seeing this in rc1 but not since.

Cia Watson-2 Cia Watson-2

Re: LibreOffice on LinuxMint Debian Edition...

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 07:58:15 +0000 (GMT)
Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi :)
>
> I thought Mint was built to be able to use Ubuntu repositories?
> There is an issue now it has been re-based onto Debian but it would
> be good if someone could experiment with this, perhaps on a virtual
> machine or on a spare partition with Mint freshly installed to it.
>
> Perhaps ask in the regular Debian forums or at
> http://www.linuxquestions.org
>
> Is anyone able to do this?

I use LMDE 64bit, though I was using the 32 bit until the 64 became
available; and it's basically a new 'flavor' of Mint, as the main Mint
is still based on Ubuntu. I'm afraid I can't help with the language
packs issue however, since I'm using en_us.  And LMDE uses the Debian
testing repo's, and as I understand it LO is available in the
experimental repos (is that sid or ??). I installed from the deb's and
unpacked into the /opt directory and used the dpkg commands.

There is a LMDE (Linux Mint Debian) section on the linux mint forums,
though the forums have had some issues of being bogged down, it's been
mostly available during the last couple of weeks or so. Look under
'Editions' at http://forums.linuxmint.com/  I  haven't seen any threads
about LO, but that doesn't mean you can't start one!

Cia W