LibreOffice on Social Media - Our goal is to be known

Aquila Msiza Aquila Msiza

LibreOffice on Social Media - Our goal is to be known

It’s Daniel,

I didn’t mean to send out the unfinished draft but as I couldn’t unsend it…here it is in its entirety.

Hi I’m Daniel,

I have been using LibreOffice for a while and would like to contribute towards it reaching as many people as possible. I think awareness of its existence, the values it stands for and what it offers are a good starting point. The whitespace I see in this area are the many non-tech affine guys and gals who don’t know about LibreOffice. Although I’m not a stranger to the technology-world, I myself didn’t know much about LibreOffice until recently when a friend of mine, who studies IT, introduced me to the LibreOffice Suite. (I was contemplating with the idea of buying the Microsoft Suite)

One of the many groups we can target are students. Many students buy the Microsoft Office Suite because they see this as a necessity in order to be able to do their work and are not aware of other alternatives. (or think the alternatives are too difficult to use) Usually for these non-tech affine people it’s “tedious” getting to adjust to new software and therefore they make the ‘simplest’ choice of buying what their already familiar with.

Many don’t know about the LibreOffice option and I can assure you many don’t even need half the capabilities of LibreOffice – not to mention Microsoft Office – to complete their tertiary work.
I think by acquiring and familiarizing  many students while their in universities (maybe expanding later on to schools), their able to accustom themselves to the software very early. Unlike other target groups, students are usually more diverse and interact usually on average with more individuals than other target groups. My point is a product that is free and offers value can start to spread like wild fire.

But for that to happen, first its capabilities and the fact that it exists have to be known.

Many pros I see in tackling this target market are not only acquiring pro LibreOffice non-tech affine people but recruiting many volunteers, who will be part of the LibreOffice community. I really believe this is true, as they realise the pure value we offer in return for ‘nothing’.

How to get there: The first goal is to be known

I looked at the different outlets LibreOffice has and Instagram wasn’t one of them. At the current moment in 2019 to reach the desired group of people and many other groups, we have to look at where the current attention is placed. Instagram and snapchat (not to mention Facebook, although the organic reach is decreasing there) is where the attention is. Although we have a Youtube channel, not many will stumble upon this.
I think by being apart of different platforms, providing value and creating a community in different (social-) platforms will help us get the word out.

I propose in creating an Instagram account - whether we start small (native to the place i.e LibreOffice_US) or we create an HQ-account
(i.e LibreOffice) - I am to take on the responsibility to administrate it.
I want to be clear. The Instagram account will not exist for advertisement in a traditional sense. But is to provide value to the Instagram-community, cement our place on this platform and periodically show off the functionality that LibreOffice Suite offers.

The first goal is to be known.

I will be happy to receive your feedback on this E-Mail address.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Daniel <[hidden email]>

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: LibreOffice on Social Media - Our goal is to be known

Hello Daniel,

Welcome to the LibreOffice community!
See my comments inline of your message...

Le dimanche 27 janvier 2019 à 16:16 +0000, Aquila Msiza a écrit :

> [...]
> will stumble upon this.
> I think by being apart of different platforms, providing value and
> creating a community in different (social-) platforms will help us
> get the word out.
>
> I propose in creating an Instagram account - whether we start small
> (native to the place i.e LibreOffice_US) or we create an HQ-account
> (i.e LibreOffice) - I am to take on the responsibility to
> administrate it.
> I want to be clear. The Instagram account will not exist for
> advertisement in a traditional sense. But is to provide value to the
> Instagram-community, cement our place on this platform and
> periodically show off the functionality that LibreOffice Suite
> offers.
>
> The first goal is to be known.
>

> I will be happy to receive your feedback on this E-Mail address.

I really have two questions about your proposal -thank you for this by
the way:
* have you checked our Facebook page(s), our twitter accounts and our
reddit and YouTube channels?
* Instagram is indeed not where we are, however I'm curious what you
would like to produce in terms of content, since Instagram is about
pictures?

Charles-H. Schulz
Co-founder, The Document Foundation,
Kurfürstendamm 188, 10707 Berlin
Mobile Number: +33 (0)6 98 65 54 24.

Italo Vignoli-5 Italo Vignoli-5

On 27/01/2019 22:39, Charles-H. Schulz wrote:

> * Instagram is indeed not where we are, however I'm curious what you
> would like to produce in terms of content, since Instagram is about
> pictures?

By the way, we have an Instagram account at @libreofficepics, where we
have tested some image based posts. We will probably start to use it
again soon during FOSDEM.

In fact, although Instagram is not where we are, it is increasingly used
for marketing purposes. On the other hand, the future merge of Facebook,
Whatsapp and Instagram would probably create some big issues for every
organization based in Europe.

Please also consider that US is one of the most challenging geographies
for open source desktop applications, as it is the home of Microsoft and
any other software has a huge mountain to climb.

--
Italo Vignoli - Marketing & PR
email [hidden email]