LibreOffice's New Area Dialog Box crashes when compiled with Clang

slacka slacka

LibreOffice's New Area Dialog Box crashes when compiled with Clang

When you build LibreOffice with Clang 3.8-4.0, the area dialog box will cause an "Application Error" crash in Writer, Calc, and Impress.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Build with Clang 3.8-4.0
2. Insert Shape
3. Format -> Texbox and Shape -> Area

With Clang 3.8 r242222 and 4.0 r270000, LO will crash. I'm see thing on an AMD desktop with Ubuntu 14.4 and an Intel laptop with Ubuntu 16.04. When built with gcc, there is no crash.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Stephan,
Are you seeing this with your clang builds?

sberg sberg

Re: LibreOffice's New Area Dialog Box crashes when compiled with Clang

On 08/28/2016 11:36 AM, Luke Benes wrote:

> When you build LibreOffice with Clang 3.8-4.0, the area dialog box will
> cause an "Application Error" crash in Writer, Calc, and Impress.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
> 1. Build with Clang 3.8-4.0
> 2. Insert Shape
> 3. Format -> Texbox and Shape -> Area
>
> With Clang 3.8 r242222 and 4.0 r270000, LO will crash. I'm see thing on
> an AMD desktop with Ubuntu 14.4 and an Intel laptop with Ubuntu 16.04.
> When built with gcc, there is no crash.

The only issue I could find (with a Clans ASan/UBSan build) is
<https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=c98cb7af5773f9e0e18f2896388954ae148e3cee>
"Typo", but I think it couldn't lead to a crash.

What's the backtrace of your crash?

slacka slacka

Re: LibreOffice's New Area Dialog Box crashes when compiled with Clang

Here is the backtrace made with $ instdir/program/soffice --backtrace, and the steps listed in my first post. Is there anything else I can do?
sberg sberg

On 08/31/2016 11:59 PM, slacka wrote:
> Here is the backtrace made with $ instdir/program/soffice --backtrace, and
> the steps listed in my first post. Is there anything else I can do?

There's no backtrace here (or it was an attachment that got scrubbed by
the mailing list; in which case just quote it inline in the mail body,
with those "> " line prefixes).
slacka slacka

Re: LibreOffice's New Area Dialog Box crashes when compiled with Clang

I sent the backtrace to Stephan directly, which he used to resolve the clang crash with https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=e11931da72eabd98f9ea49ae93bd76039b283268

Why was this working with gcc and MSVC? Undefined behavior or a compiler bug?

Thanks Stephan!
sberg sberg

On 09/02/2016 12:45 AM, slacka wrote:
> I sent the backtrace to Stephan directly, which he used to resolve the clang
> crash with
> https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=e11931da72eabd98f9ea49ae93bd76039b283268

Ah, dumb me, when I had written "The only issue I could find (with a
Clans ASan/UBSan build) is
<https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=c98cb7af5773f9e0e18f2896388954ae148e3cee>
'Typo', but I think it couldn't lead to a crash." I had checked the
"Position and Size" dialog instead of the "Area" one.

> Why was this working with gcc and MSVC? Undefined behavior or a compiler
> bug?

Unspecified behavior.