LibreOffice templates

marcpare4 marcpare4

LibreOffice templates

I am helping with finding some nice templates for the distro. I am
looking for a little direction as to what technical aspects that I
should take into account before embarking on this (licensing and
branding issues). Are we allowed to hold some of these on our website or
is it just better to point to these from our website? I am also
particularly concerned with pointing to a large repository of templates
where the site owners may decide to arbitrarily move the archives to a
different location thereby breaking our links to their archives.

Cheers

Marc

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: LibreOffice templates

Hi Marc, :-)

My take would be this: find the best quality templates you can (paying
attention to the licensing, of course), download them, upload them to
the wiki, and make a page of links that can then be used on the
website.

We can start maintaining this collection and adding to it. We can
notify the authors by e-mail...

0.2 cents..... But if we could get some before end of Sunday, it would
be perfect... ;-)

David Nelson

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 16:19, Marc Paré <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am helping with finding some nice templates for the distro. I am looking
> for a little direction as to what technical aspects that I should take into
> account before embarking on this (licensing and branding issues). Are we
> allowed to hold some of these on our website or is it just better to point
> to these from our website? I am also particularly concerned with pointing to
> a large repository of templates where the site owners may decide to
> arbitrarily move the archives to a different location thereby breaking our
> links to their archives.
>
> Cheers
>
> Marc

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: LibreOffice templates

Hi David:

Thanks for the info. (I'll take the rest to the bottom of this post.)

Le 2011-01-08 03:45, David Nelson a écrit :

> Hi Marc, :-)
>
> My take would be this: find the best quality templates you can (paying
> attention to the licensing, of course), download them, upload them to
> the wiki, and make a page of links that can then be used on the
> website.
>
> We can start maintaining this collection and adding to it. We can
> notify the authors by e-mail...
>
> 0.2 cents..... But if we could get some before end of Sunday, it would
> be perfect... ;-)
>
> David Nelson
>

> On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 16:19, Marc Paré<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I am helping with finding some nice templates for the distro. I am looking
>> for a little direction as to what technical aspects that I should take into
>> account before embarking on this (licensing and branding issues). Are we
>> allowed to hold some of these on our website or is it just better to point
>> to these from our website? I am also particularly concerned with pointing to
>> a large repository of templates where the site owners may decide to
>> arbitrarily move the archives to a different location thereby breaking our
>> links to their archives.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Marc

>> *** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

To others:

If there are any templates that are of particular interest from the
community, let me know and I will take care of moving these to our wiki.

Cheers,

Marc

Wheatbix Wheatbix

Re: LibreOffice templates

>>> I am helping with finding some nice templates for the distro. I am
>>> looking
>>> for a little direction as to what technical aspects that I should take
>>> into
>>> account before embarking on this (licensing and branding issues). Are we
>>> allowed to hold some of these on our website or is it just better to

The OOo templates directory is great, but from what I can see a lot of
the very good templates are produced by RedOffice and copyright.

I will try to put together some nice looking templates over the next
couple of weeks and upload them directly to the wiki.

Could you point us to the templates page so I can add them.

Thanks,
Michael Wheatland

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: LibreOffice templates

Hi, :-)

I have created a page on the wiki for uploading templates, and have
uploaded a couple of templates.

The page is: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Downloads/Templates

If you could please add templates there.... TIA if so. ;-)

David Nelson

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: LibreOffice templates

Le 2011-01-09 02:52, David Nelson a écrit :

> Hi, :-)
>
> I have created a page on the wiki for uploading templates, and have
> uploaded a couple of templates.
>
> The page is: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Downloads/Templates
>
> If you could please add templates there.... TIA if so. ;-)
>
> David Nelson

I am just working on this now. We should also categorize this section
for easier use. I would suggest that the website should only have one
link leading to the section and from there the user could navigate the
wiki by using the different categories.

Re: licences. I have checked out many of the licences that re-direct to
the authors' site(s). Some of these are a little too restrictive and
maybe we could include these in a later second wave of uploads once we
have established a process on our website for displaying the licences
properly. I would suggest keeping to well known OSI licences for now.
There should be sufficiently enough templates to go around for this
first group.

Cheers

Marc

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: LibreOffice templates

Hi, :-)

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 16:26, Marc Paré <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am just working on this now. We should also categorize this section for
> easier use.

+1 That's a good idea.

> I would suggest that the website should only have one link
> leading to the section and from there the user could navigate the wiki by
> using the different categories.

+1 OK, I've done that.

> Re: licences. I have checked out many of the licences that re-direct to the
> authors' site(s). Some of these are a little too restrictive and maybe we
> could include these in a later second wave of uploads once we have
> established a process on our website for displaying the licences properly. I
> would suggest keeping to well known OSI licences for now. There should be
> sufficiently enough templates to go around for this first group.

This sounds like the wisest way to proceed.

Thanks for working on this, Marc. ;-)

David Nelson

sophi sophi

Re: LibreOffice templates

On 09/01/2011 11:26, Marc Paré wrote:

> Le 2011-01-09 02:52, David Nelson a écrit :
>> Hi, :-)
>>
>> I have created a page on the wiki for uploading templates, and have
>> uploaded a couple of templates.
>>
>> The page is: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Downloads/Templates
>>
>> If you could please add templates there.... TIA if so. ;-)
>>
>> David Nelson
>>

> I am just working on this now. We should also categorize this section
> for easier use. I would suggest that the website should only have one
> link leading to the section and from there the user could navigate the
> wiki by using the different categories.
>
> Re: licences. I have checked out many of the licences that re-direct to
> the authors' site(s). Some of these are a little too restrictive and
> maybe we could include these in a later second wave of uploads once we
> have established a process on our website for displaying the licences
> properly. I would suggest keeping to well known OSI licences for now.
> There should be sufficiently enough templates to go around for this
> first group.

Could you add the PDL (Public Documentation Licence), this is the
licence we used for documentation and that has been written by the OOo
Documentation team. It's not recognized by OSI (if I remember well), but
lot of material done by the OOo contributors has gone under this licence
and templates may also use it.
Thanks
Kind regards
Sophie

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: LibreOffice templates

Le 2011-01-09 03:38, David Nelson a écrit :

> Hi, :-)
>
> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 16:26, Marc Paré<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I am just working on this now. We should also categorize this section for
>> easier use.
>
> +1 That's a good idea.
>
>> I would suggest that the website should only have one link
>> leading to the section and from there the user could navigate the wiki by
>> using the different categories.
>
> +1 OK, I've done that.
>
>> Re: licences. I have checked out many of the licences that re-direct to the
>> authors' site(s). Some of these are a little too restrictive and maybe we
>> could include these in a later second wave of uploads once we have
>> established a process on our website for displaying the licences properly. I
>> would suggest keeping to well known OSI licences for now. There should be
>> sufficiently enough templates to go around for this first group.
>
> This sounds like the wisest way to proceed.
>
> Thanks for working on this, Marc. ;-)
>
> David Nelson

NP. :-) BTW ... your Sunday deadline is most not likely the same as mine
here in Canada ... it's 4am here, so you may have to keep this in mind
when considering deadlines. :-)

Cheers

Marc

sophi sophi

Re: LibreOffice templates

Hi Marc,
On 09/01/2011 11:26, Marc Paré wrote:
[...]
> Re: licences. I have checked out many of the licences that re-direct to
> the authors' site(s). Some of these are a little too restrictive and
> maybe we could include these in a later second wave of uploads once we
> have established a process on our website for displaying the licences
> properly. I would suggest keeping to well known OSI licences for now.
> There should be sufficiently enough templates to go around for this
> first group.

Could you add the PDL (Public Documentation Licence), this is the
licence we used for documentation and that has been written by the OOo
Documentation team. It's not recognized by OSI (if I remember well), but
lot of material done by the OOo contributors has gone under this licence
and templates may also use it.
Thanks
Kind regards
Sophie

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: LibreOffice templates

Le 2011-01-09 03:45, Sophie Gautier a écrit :

> Hi Marc,
> On 09/01/2011 11:26, Marc Paré wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Re: licences. I have checked out many of the licences that re-direct to
>> the authors' site(s). Some of these are a little too restrictive and
>> maybe we could include these in a later second wave of uploads once we
>> have established a process on our website for displaying the licences
>> properly. I would suggest keeping to well known OSI licences for now.
>> There should be sufficiently enough templates to go around for this
>> first group.
>
> Could you add the PDL (Public Documentation Licence), this is the
> licence we used for documentation and that has been written by the OOo
> Documentation team. It's not recognized by OSI (if I remember well), but
> lot of material done by the OOo contributors has gone under this licence
> and templates may also use it.
> Thanks
> Kind regards
> Sophie

Yes, thanks for that. I'll keep an eye out for this.

Cheers

Marc

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: LibreOffice templates

Le 2011-01-09 03:45, Sophie Gautier a écrit :

> Hi Marc,
> On 09/01/2011 11:26, Marc Paré wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Re: licences. I have checked out many of the licences that re-direct to
>> the authors' site(s). Some of these are a little too restrictive and
>> maybe we could include these in a later second wave of uploads once we
>> have established a process on our website for displaying the licences
>> properly. I would suggest keeping to well known OSI licences for now.
>> There should be sufficiently enough templates to go around for this
>> first group.
>
> Could you add the PDL (Public Documentation Licence), this is the
> licence we used for documentation and that has been written by the OOo
> Documentation team. It's not recognized by OSI (if I remember well), but
> lot of material done by the OOo contributors has gone under this licence
> and templates may also use it.
> Thanks
> Kind regards
> Sophie

Should we also write a note on the website templates page that the
licence of particular templates may be found in File->Properties (once
the template is opened)? Just so that our users are well informed of any
differences in licence conditions.

Many users may not be aware that the template licences may be seen
there, not to mention author name etc.

Cheers

Marc

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: LibreOffice templates

Le 2011-01-09 04:13, Marc Paré a écrit :

> Le 2011-01-09 03:45, Sophie Gautier a écrit :
>> Hi Marc,
>> On 09/01/2011 11:26, Marc Paré wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> Re: licences. I have checked out many of the licences that re-direct to
>>> the authors' site(s). Some of these are a little too restrictive and
>>> maybe we could include these in a later second wave of uploads once we
>>> have established a process on our website for displaying the licences
>>> properly. I would suggest keeping to well known OSI licences for now.
>>> There should be sufficiently enough templates to go around for this
>>> first group.
>>
>> Could you add the PDL (Public Documentation Licence), this is the
>> licence we used for documentation and that has been written by the OOo
>> Documentation team. It's not recognized by OSI (if I remember well), but
>> lot of material done by the OOo contributors has gone under this licence
>> and templates may also use it.
>> Thanks
>> Kind regards
>> Sophie
>
> Should we also write a note on the website templates page that the
> licence of particular templates may be found in File->Properties (once
> the template is opened)? Just so that our users are well informed of any
> differences in licence conditions.
>
> Many users may not be aware that the template licences may be seen
> there, not to mention author name etc.
>
> Cheers
>
> Marc

I have categorized the templates area. As far as available templates,
after examining the various templates and the plethora of licences under
which they are published, it looks a little too much like the
screenshots debacle.

My advice, at the moment, is not to populate this section until we get a
firm grip on the process we should adopt for posting. The posted file
will have to show more information than that of just the template
author. We will have to show the licence as well and possibly the date
of template creation, and possibly more information. Certainly, the wiki
page is not one of the best methods for this.

IMO, we would be better served if template authors were contacted
directly and asked if they would like to contribute to the LibreOffice
templates section. This may in fact save us from a lot of possible
stress in the future. This would of course cause a bit of delay in
populating the templates section, but worth the wait.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Marc