LibreOfficeFR situation update

William Gathoye (LibreOffice) William Gathoye (LibreOffice)

LibreOfficeFR situation update

Hello everyone,

TL;DR: While LibreOfficeFR continues to have some great stats, I have
recently been suffering from some demotivation. I hereafter explain what
is being done to remotivate troops, what are the current commitments and
what could be the near term objectives.

Like proposed by Arnaud Versini, I'm sending to you some updates about
the French community, especially about the French @LibreOfficeFR Twitter
account and the French blog. :)

# Statistics

LibreOfficeFR January stats:
Impressions   : 435K tweets impressions
Tweets        : 1 516
Profile visits: 7 110
Mentions      : 1 608

Note: The mentions are people mentioning @LibreOfficeFR directly. These
stats are not taking into account indirect mentions I'm still answering
to, e.g. people speaking in French about "libre office" or
"libreoffice". Thanks to Tweetdeck, the whole Twitter platform is indeed
monitored in real time to catch people speaking in French about LibreOffice.

This week, we finally have passed the bar of 14 K tweets published ;)

# Backlog and demotivation period

I'm not mentioning February and March since these have been a bit behind
expectations (respectively 192K and 146K) for the following reasons :

* Over the past few weeks, due to implications in other communities
(FOSDEM, my involvement for Mattermost and participation in Mattercon[1]
in Bahamas), I haven't been able to answer and get implicated like I
would have done in the past.

* As the Corona virus puts extra burden to our community due to the
bunch of new people working remotely, I have only been able to cope with
direct and urgent questions, e.g. people losing their documents because
of using Apache OpenOffice, rendering bugs in the 6.4.0 release of
LibreOffice, etc.

Even if I have been a bit demotivated by 1) the extra load especially
the backlog of work I still need to catch up, 2) the status quo
situation about a topic I have been reporting to TDF since Feb 2019
(more on that later), and 3) the way the FOSDEM hackfest happened[2],
rest assured, I'm now back on the right track :).

While petrol is what makes cars move, *motivation is what contributors
need* =)

# Commitment

I commit to still maintain regularly the LibreOfficeFR Twitter account
and the French blog (but others are welcome to join obviously ;) ).

Arnaud Versini and Regis Perdreau have been checking the tweets
published and advising about the possible directions for the answers to
give. Their commitment still needs to be confirmed for the future.

When unsure, I ask confirmation in a *non muted* channel on Telegram,
where Arnaud Versini, Sophie Gautier and Philippe Hemmel can give me
their opinion and BAT (bon à tirer/right to publish).[3].

On new releases, I send the translated announcement to Jean-Baptiste
Faure for publication on French mailing lists. If the translation is not
done in a timely manner, Jean-Baptiste sends by himself his own
translation or, failing that, the english based announcement.

# Catchup

By the end of this week, I'll do everything I can to:

1. resync the French blog with articles whose translation has been
missing compared to the English blog;
2. since we are in a confinement period, republish these old articles on
Twitter as "flashback" tweets (was working nice with the flashback 2019
tweets session I published at the end of 2019/beginning 2020).
3. answer to all questions since 2020-03-22 to now
4. answer to people still waiting an answer between 2020-02-21 and
2020-03-09 (that's the backlog gap :()
5. unread mails at TDF.

# Time management

Maintainership is still done on a best effort basis.

While I have been able to spend 1-2h / day, I'll need to find a way to
reduce this workload to 1-2h / every 2 days.

I have contacted all the companies providing social media tools used to
contribute several people at once on a Twitter account, but the
solutions they provided to me are way too expensive, even for a non
profit organization like TDF.

The only solution I have found for now one in order to keep up the same
positive attitude via Twitter is time splitting: sharing contributors
across time. This however requires technical oriented contributors who
have a wholistic view of the TDF/LibreOffice project.

Proof reading text for the blog articles can be easily found on the
discuss-fr mailing list. Thanks again to the persons who answered
present over the past few months :)

# Accesses

I'm precising this piece of info to reduce the bus factor.[4]

Twitter access can be given using Twitter.com, Tweetdeck or via any
third party API access.

While third party API access is carefully monitored and restricted to
the bare minimum (Tweetdeck and mobile apps), the following contributors
currently have a full access to the Twitter account using Twitter.com.

The following people have access to the username, password, and TOTP key
of the account. These 3 elements have been shared with them using
ProtonMail/PGP.

- Arnaud Versini
- Sophie Gautier (accesses granted sent today)
- William Gathoye (myself)

Some accesses are also defined using Tweetdeck. These accesses are only
valid using Tweetdeck and cannot be escalated to a standard Twitter.com
access. Contributors can only publish.

- Arnaud Versini (admin)
- William Gathoye (admin)
- Sophie Gautier (admin)
- Charles H Schulz (contributor - pending request)
- Valerie Dagrain (contributor - pending request)

# Near-term objectives

- First step is to get rid of the aforementioned catchup backlog
- A possible GSoC: an overhaul of the blog (more on that in a dedicated
thread)
- Growth hacking only possible with the call to action of the
LibreOffice.org website (i.e. downloading LibreOffice) properly redesigned.
- Virtual hackathons. I'm currently sparing money and building a server
room for virtual hackathons. (More on that later)

While these can be seen as personal ideas, this is what I propose for
the LibreOfficeFR community, a needed adaptation in order to catchup
with other FOSS communities ;)

Looking forwards to go in the right direction with you ;)

Regards,

[1] The 1 million downloads of LibreOffice on Chocolatey has been
mentioned in my talk given at MatterCon, more on that later :)
[2] https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/marketing/msg11069.html
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prepress_proofing
[4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_factor
--
William Gathoye
Hyper<hack>tive volunteer for LibreOffice

sophie sophie

Re: LibreOfficeFR situation update

Le 24/03/2020 à 18:40, William Gathoye (LibreOffice) a écrit :
> Hello everyone,
>
> TL;DR: While LibreOfficeFR continues to have some great stats, I have
> recently been suffering from some demotivation. I hereafter explain what
> is being done to remotivate troops, what are the current commitments and
> what could be the near term objectives.

I wonder why it has not been sent to the FR community? if you want help,
I guess it's there that you'll find it.

> Like proposed by Arnaud Versini, I'm sending to you some updates about
> the French community, especially about the French @LibreOfficeFR Twitter
> account and the French blog. :)
>
> # Statistics
>
> LibreOfficeFR January stats:
> Impressions   : 435K tweets impressions
> Tweets        : 1 516
> Profile visits: 7 110
> Mentions      : 1 608
>
> Note: The mentions are people mentioning @LibreOfficeFR directly. These
> stats are not taking into account indirect mentions I'm still answering
> to, e.g. people speaking in French about "libre office" or
> "libreoffice". Thanks to Tweetdeck, the whole Twitter platform is indeed
> monitored in real time to catch people speaking in French about LibreOffice.
>
> This week, we finally have passed the bar of 14 K tweets published ;)

Well you know my opinion on that, less tweets and more quality is also a
possibility

> # Backlog and demotivation period
>
> I'm not mentioning February and March since these have been a bit behind
> expectations (respectively 192K and 146K) for the following reasons :
>
> * Over the past few weeks, due to implications in other communities
> (FOSDEM, my involvement for Mattermost and participation in Mattercon[1]
> in Bahamas), I haven't been able to answer and get implicated like I
> would have done in the past.
>
> * As the Corona virus puts extra burden to our community due to the
> bunch of new people working remotely, I have only been able to cope with
> direct and urgent questions, e.g. people losing their documents because
> of using Apache OpenOffice, rendering bugs in the 6.4.0 release of
> LibreOffice, etc.

You should send them to ASK/fr, as already mentioned, tweeter if far
from a knowledge base, you have to repeat yourself at each time and that
doesn't benefit other users. Today I've received around 20 call for help
on my phone, after a quick discussion on who we are, I've sent them to
Ask, otherwise, my answers would be lost.

> Even if I have been a bit demotivated by 1) the extra load especially
> the backlog of work I still need to catch up, 2) the status quo
> situation about a topic I have been reporting to TDF since Feb 2019
> (more on that later), and 3) the way the FOSDEM hackfest happened[2],
> rest assured, I'm now back on the right track :).
>
> While petrol is what makes cars move, *motivation is what contributors
> need* =)
>
> # Commitment
>
> I commit to still maintain regularly the LibreOfficeFR Twitter account
> and the French blog (but others are welcome to join obviously ;) ).
>
> Arnaud Versini and Regis Perdreau have been checking the tweets
> published and advising about the possible directions for the answers to
> give. Their commitment still needs to be confirmed for the future.

As I told you and them, I'll can support the twitter account, but imho,
it's better find more people in the FR community. I'm sure some of them
would be happy to help.

> When unsure, I ask confirmation in a *non muted* channel on Telegram,
> where Arnaud Versini, Sophie Gautier and Philippe Hemmel can give me
> their opinion and BAT (bon à tirer/right to publish).[3].
>
> On new releases, I send the translated announcement to Jean-Baptiste
> Faure for publication on French mailing lists. If the translation is not
> done in a timely manner, Jean-Baptiste sends by himself his own
> translation or, failing that, the english based announcement.

I usually translate the major release announcement, and Jean-Baptiste
has is own template for minor ones. This task could completely removed
from your plate if you wish, it was working well between Jean-Baptiste
and me until you jump in.

> # Catchup
>
> By the end of this week, I'll do everything I can to:
>
> 1. resync the French blog with articles whose translation has been
> missing compared to the English blog;

I can help if needed, not all have to be translated also.

> 2. since we are in a confinement period, republish these old articles on
> Twitter as "flashback" tweets (was working nice with the flashback 2019
> tweets session I published at the end of 2019/beginning 2020).

there is a lot to publish to help education sector, I'll work on the
next week-end, if my situation permit it.

> 3. answer to all questions since 2020-03-22 to now
> 4. answer to people still waiting an answer between 2020-02-21 and
> 2020-03-09 (that's the backlog gap :()

again, send them to ASK, this is where we provide help to users that
serves other users

> 5. unread mails at TDF.
>
> # Time management
>
> Maintainership is still done on a best effort basis.
>
> While I have been able to spend 1-2h / day, I'll need to find a way to
> reduce this workload to 1-2h / every 2 days.
>
> I have contacted all the companies providing social media tools used to
> contribute several people at once on a Twitter account, but the
> solutions they provided to me are way too expensive, even for a non
> profit organization like TDF.
>
> The only solution I have found for now one in order to keep up the same
> positive attitude via Twitter is time splitting: sharing contributors
> across time. This however requires technical oriented contributors who
> have a wholistic view of the TDF/LibreOffice project.

Asking in the FR community would help.

> Proof reading text for the blog articles can be easily found on the
> discuss-fr mailing list. Thanks again to the persons who answered
> present over the past few months :)
>
> # Accesses
>
> I'm precising this piece of info to reduce the bus factor.[4]
>
> Twitter access can be given using Twitter.com, Tweetdeck or via any
> third party API access.
>
> While third party API access is carefully monitored and restricted to
> the bare minimum (Tweetdeck and mobile apps), the following contributors
> currently have a full access to the Twitter account using Twitter.com.
>
> The following people have access to the username, password, and TOTP key
> of the account. These 3 elements have been shared with them using
> ProtonMail/PGP.
>
> - Arnaud Versini
> - Sophie Gautier (accesses granted sent today)
> - William Gathoye (myself)
>
> Some accesses are also defined using Tweetdeck. These accesses are only
> valid using Tweetdeck and cannot be escalated to a standard Twitter.com
> access. Contributors can only publish.
>
> - Arnaud Versini (admin)
> - William Gathoye (admin)
> - Sophie Gautier (admin)
> - Charles H Schulz (contributor - pending request)
> - Valerie Dagrain (contributor - pending request)
>
> # Near-term objectives
>
> - First step is to get rid of the aforementioned catchup backlog
> - A possible GSoC: an overhaul of the blog (more on that in a dedicated
> thread)
> - Growth hacking only possible with the call to action of the
> LibreOffice.org website (i.e. downloading LibreOffice) properly redesigned.
> - Virtual hackathons. I'm currently sparing money and building a server
> room for virtual hackathons. (More on that later)
>
> While these can be seen as personal ideas, this is what I propose for
> the LibreOfficeFR community, a needed adaptation in order to catchup
> with other FOSS communities ;)

It's for the twitter account, the FR community is also on the lists and
should be informed and concerned at first.

Cheers
Sophie

--
Sophie Gautier [hidden email]
GSM: +33683901545

On 24/03/2020 19:03, sophi wrote:

> I wonder why it has not been sent to the FR community? if you want help,
> I guess it's there that you'll find it.

Ok. Sure, no issue. Which mailing do you want me a translation of this
email to be sent to? discuss@fr, qa@fr or users@fr?

> Well you know my opinion on that, less tweets and more quality is also a
> possibility

Yes I know your opinion, and you now mine: nowadays, to attract and have
more reach you have to lower quality or at least be less formal to
attract new people. :( That's a situation not only available for
LibreOffice, but every organization is concerned. Those not investing in
a CM are loosing reach. :(

> You should send them to ASK/fr, as already mentioned, tweeter if far
> from a knowledge base, you have to repeat yourself at each time and that
> doesn't benefit other users.

Forgot to mention in the previous mail, when I got an original question
not asked on Ask, I write it myself on Ask and answer to it in order to
don't loose track of it.

Nowadays, people wants an answer ASAP. Heiko tends to agree with me on
this topic. Even if the answer has been answered multiple times, asking
them to go on our Ask instance will lead to discouragement, and
redirecting to Ask is the same work as copy-pasting a previous tweet :)

It's not about finding an answer. The issue is the amount of questions.
I already have a answer for *nearly all* cases on Twitter. After one
year, I know exactly what to search for in previous tweets to do a copy
paste, tweak it a bit and publish the answer :)

If I was better at machine learning, most of the question could be
answered by an AI :)

> Today I've received around 20 call for help
> on my phone, after a quick discussion on who we are, I've sent them to
> Ask, otherwise, my answers would be lost.

Wow. Wondering where they get your phone details from :/

> As I told you and them, I'll can support the twitter account, but imho,
> it's better find more people in the FR community. I'm sure some of them
> would be happy to help.

Publishing this email on the fr mailing list will help, I'm sure :) Wil do.

> I usually translate the major release announcement, and Jean-Baptiste
> has is own template for minor ones. This task could completely removed
> from your plate if you wish, it was working well between Jean-Baptiste
> and me until you jump in.

Yep. Before, you only had a mailing list and a translation to do, now
twitter and the blog come into the equation. We need to find a proper
resilient pipeline to make things smooth :)

But actually after 2 big released (since the FR blog was born in Oct
2019), there is indeed a pattern. I noticed Italo is using nearly the
same messages only tweaked and now, the more the time elapses, the more
we have twitter+blog templates ready to go :)

> I can help if needed, not all have to be translated also.

I'll get back to you on this topic if I cannot complete the deadline on
time :)

> there is a lot to publish to help education sector, I'll work on the
> next week-end, if my situation permit it.

Yes, please share, sure! The latest tweets I have published were all
concerning the education sector. So if you have other idea, please share! :)

[...]
> again, send them to ASK, this is where we provide help to users that
> serves other users
[...]
> Asking in the FR community would help.
[...]
> It's for the twitter account, the FR community is also on the lists and
> should be informed and concerned at first.
Will do.

Have a nice evening,

William Gathoye
Hyper<hack>tive volunteer for LibreOffice
Proud member of The Document Foundation
Member of LaMouette - French based association promoting ODF and LibreOffice

sophie sophie

Re: LibreOfficeFR situation update

Hi,

Usually discussions go on discuss@

>> Well you know my opinion on that, less tweets and more quality is
>also a
>> possibility
>
>Yes I know your opinion, and you now mine: nowadays, to attract and
>have
>more reach you have to lower quality or at least be less formal to
>attract new people. :( That's a situation not only available for
>LibreOffice, but every organization is concerned. Those not investing
>in
>a CM are loosing reach. :(
From chat we see, it's  not a tweet number but the impact of a tweet, it's a ratio

>> You should send them to ASK/fr, as already mentioned, tweeter if far
>> from a knowledge base, you have to repeat yourself at each time and
>that
>> doesn't benefit other users.
>
>Forgot to mention in the previous mail, when I got an original question
>not asked on Ask, I write it myself on Ask and answer to it in order to
>don't loose track of it.
>
>Nowadays, people wants an answer ASAP. Heiko tends to agree with me on
>this topic. Even if the answer has been answered multiple times, asking
>them to go on our Ask instance will lead to discouragement, and
>redirecting to Ask is the same work as copy-pasting a previous tweet :)

I agree that Ask is not the best but lot of users made there way there

>It's not about finding an answer. The issue is the amount of questions.
>I already have a answer for *nearly all* cases on Twitter. After one
>year, I know exactly what to search for in previous tweets to do a copy
>paste, tweak it a bit and publish the answer :)
>
>If I was better at machine learning, most of the question could be
>answered by an AI :)

It's not about you but how, as a user, I find my answers on the net when they have already been published. Tweeter doesn't allow that where Ask is one of the answers. No need to replicate what already exists with the wrong solution, more over if that is exhausting contributors, it's just the wrong  tool.

>> Today I've received around 20 call for help
>> on my phone, after a quick discussion on who we are, I've sent them
>> Ask, otherwise, my answers would be lost.
>
>Wow. Wondering where they get your phone details from :/

It's on my signature, I'm not against answering, but that should serve the community (not me)

>> As I told you and them, I'll can support the twitter account, but
>imho,
>> it's better find more people in the FR community. I'm sure some of
>them
>> would be happy to help.
>
>Publishing this email on the fr mailing list will help, I'm sure :) Wil
>do.
>
>> I usually translate the major release announcement, and Jean-Baptiste
>> has is own template for minor ones. This task could completely
>removed
>> from your plate if you wish, it was working well between
>Jean-Baptiste
>> and me until you jump in.
>
>Yep. Before, you only had a mailing list and a translation to do, now
>twitter and the blog come into the equation. We need to find a proper
>resilient pipeline to make things smooth :)

Well, if I'm not mistaken it's the same text published on different mediums

>But actually after 2 big released (since the FR blog was born in Oct
>2019), there is indeed a pattern. I noticed Italo is using nearly the
>same messages only tweaked and now, the more the time elapses, the more
>we have twitter+blog templates ready to go :)
>
>> I can help if needed, not all have to be translated also.
>
>I'll get back to you on this topic if I cannot complete the deadline on
>time :)
>
>> there is a lot to publish to help education sector, I'll work on the
>> next week-end, if my situation permit it.
>>

>Yes, please share, sure! The latest tweets I have published were all
>concerning the education sector. So if you have other idea, please
>share! :)
>
>[...]
>> again, send them to ASK, this is where we provide help to users that
>> serves other users
>[...]
>> Asking in the FR community would help.
>[...]
>> It's for the twitter account, the FR community is also on the lists
>and
>> should be informed and concerned at first.
>Will do.

Cheers
Sophie

--