Libreoffice corrupted by Ubuntu failed upgrade

Keith Bates Keith Bates

Libreoffice corrupted by Ubuntu failed upgrade

Hi all

So I thought I would upgrade from Ubuntu to 18.10 to 19.04. The normally
easy, no dramas upgrade was far from ideal.

After several hours of fiddling, my tech expert son found some obscure
gnome settings got wrecked, and once we trawled through various log
files and found the  offending files, all was well.

Except Libre Office.

Everything important seems to work unless you try to use templates-
either through the opening screen or through File- Manage Templates. At
that point the program freezes. Eventually a message window opens to say
that "Libre Office 6.2 Writer is not responding" with options to Force
Quit or Wait.

I have tried the usual things:

  * remove configuration files
  * re-install
  * downloaded the DEBs from the Libre Office web site and tried to
    install over the existing installation.

So far nothing has resolved the issue.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you

--
*Keith Bates**

**Senior Pastor

*p: 02 67924890

s: 4 Mooloobar St
     Narrabri, NSW 2390
w3w: checklist.windsurf.partly

e: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

w: www.new-life.org.au <http://www.new-life.org.au>

*
*

remygauthier remygauthier

Re: Libreoffice corrupted by Ubuntu failed upgrade

Hi,

I opened a bug about this yesterday (bug 124864). I have been
experiencing this since 6.2.2 on Linux Fedora, and the only possible
resolution I found was to stick with using 6.2.1, downloaded from the
LO site. Hopefully this will work for you as well.

Rémy.

jonathon-6 jonathon-6

On 4/21/19 10:56 AM, Keith Bates wrote:
> So I thought I would upgrade from Ubuntu to 18.10 to 19.04. The normally

The only safe way to upgrade from one version of Ubuntu, to another, is
to wipe the drive, and install the new version of Ubuntu.

> Except Libre Office.

Uninstall LibreOffice.
Delete _all_ configuration files.
/home/user_name/config/.libreoffice/*

Delete _all_ files in /opt/libreoffice/*
from /home/user_name/
cd ..
cd ..
ls -alR | grep offic

Delete all folders and files that have libreoffice as part of their name.

Then download LibreOffice from
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/

Unpack and install LibreOffice.

jonathon

Gilles Gravier Gilles Gravier

Re: Libreoffice corrupted by Ubuntu failed upgrade

Please don't spread nonesense. Ubuntu upgrades are designed to work well in
the VAST majority of cases.

Gilles

On Sun 21 Apr 2019, 18:04 jonathon, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/21/19 10:56 AM, Keith Bates wrote:
> > So I thought I would upgrade from Ubuntu to 18.10 to 19.04. The normally
>
> The only safe way to upgrade from one version of Ubuntu, to another, is
> to wipe the drive, and install the new version of Ubuntu.
>
> > Except Libre Office.
>
> Uninstall LibreOffice.
> Delete _all_ configuration files.
> /home/user_name/config/.libreoffice/*
>
> Delete _all_ files in /opt/libreoffice/*
> from /home/user_name/
> cd ..
> cd ..
> ls -alR | grep offic
>
> Delete all folders and files that have libreoffice as part of their name.
>
> Then download LibreOffice from
> https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/
>
> Unpack and install LibreOffice.
>
> jonathon

Italo Vignoli-4 Italo Vignoli-4

Re: Libreoffice corrupted by Ubuntu failed upgrade

In any case, the bug should be notified to Ubuntu, as they repackage
LibreOffice (and in some cases they create specific bugs, which do not
affect LibreOffice vanilla).

---
Italo Vignoli
[hidden email]
mob +39 348 5653829
sent from mobile

In data 21 aprile 2019 18:07:43 Gilles Gravier <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Please don't spread nonesense. Ubuntu upgrades are designed to work well in
> the VAST majority of cases.
>
> Gilles
>
> On Sun 21 Apr 2019, 18:04 jonathon, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 4/21/19 10:56 AM, Keith Bates wrote:
>> > So I thought I would upgrade from Ubuntu to 18.10 to 19.04. The normally
>>
>> The only safe way to upgrade from one version of Ubuntu, to another, is
>> to wipe the drive, and install the new version of Ubuntu.
>>
>> > Except Libre Office.
>>
>> Uninstall LibreOffice.
>> Delete _all_ configuration files.
>> /home/user_name/config/.libreoffice/*
>>
>> Delete _all_ files in /opt/libreoffice/*
>> from /home/user_name/
>> cd ..
>> cd ..
>> ls -alR | grep offic
>>
>> Delete all folders and files that have libreoffice as part of their name.
>>
>> Then download LibreOffice from
>> https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/
>>
>> Unpack and install LibreOffice.
>>
>> jonathon

mikey mikey

Re: Libreoffice corrupted by Ubuntu failed upgrade

When I've had stuff I MUST recover after an event like this, I find the
easiest way is to make a new user account, and set the permissions on the
old user account folder to either be owned by the new user, or open to the
drive, depending on my mood and the distribution's built in networking.

I won't try to give you a detailed instruction, but once you have a new
user account, and are sure it is the default user that will login when the
system boots, "chown" is the secret to allow access to your older files.

On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 11:10 AM Michael H <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When I've had stuff I MUST recover after an event like this, I find the
> easiest way is to make a new user account, and set the permissions on the
> old user account folder to either be owned by the new user, or open to the
> drive, depending on my mood and the distribution's built in networking.
>
> I can't give you a detailed list, but once you have a new user account,
> and are sure it is the default user that will login when the system boots,
> chown is the secret to allow access to your older files.
>
> On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 11:04 AM jonathon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 4/21/19 10:56 AM, Keith Bates wrote:
>> > So I thought I would upgrade from Ubuntu to 18.10 to 19.04. The normally
>>
>> The only safe way to upgrade from one version of Ubuntu, to another, is
>> to wipe the drive, and install the new version of Ubuntu.
>>
>> > Except Libre Office.
>>
>> Uninstall LibreOffice.
>> Delete _all_ configuration files.
>> /home/user_name/config/.libreoffice/*
>>
>> Delete _all_ files in /opt/libreoffice/*
>> from /home/user_name/
>> cd ..
>> cd ..
>> ls -alR | grep offic
>>
>> Delete all folders and files that have libreoffice as part of their name.
>>
>> Then download LibreOffice from
>> https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/
>>
>> Unpack and install LibreOffice.
>>
>> jonathon

Keith Bates Keith Bates

[SOLVED] [libreoffice-users] Libreoffice corrupted by Ubuntu failed upgrade

You wouldn't believe how simple this was to fix!

I considered doing the complete removal then re-installation but what
put me off that was it wanted to remove gnome for some reason. Even
removing just some of the components dragged gnome with it, and I am not
keen on using linux without a desktop environment.

I had a spare log-in profile  already, and LO works in that profile. The
thought of using one log-in to access software installed on a different
log-in just seems too prone to messing up, but at least I knew there was
an option there.

In the end, I thought about it and realised that it is only templates
that are the issue here, so let's examine the templates issue.

I looked at the Path options in Tools-Options-Libre Office- Paths. It
appears that for some reason LO had added my home directory as a path
for templates, as well as the default path. I deleted the home
directory, recreated the template folder in my config folder then copied
my templates back in and now it's all working.

Thank you for all the suggestions

Keith