Libreoffice.org: torrent downloads: where is the torrent for would-be seeders?

David Nelson David Nelson

Libreoffice.org: torrent downloads: where is the torrent for would-be seeders?

Hi,

When I just now tried the torrent download, there were 19 seeders.

Where did they get the torrent from?

I did not see anything on the Download page providing any link to it or
encouraging any would-be seeders.
Since the torrent link is live, maybe it would be worth adding something?

Who is responsible for generating the torrent for each release anyway?

--
David Nelson

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: Libreoffice.org: torrent downloads: where is the torrent for would-be seeders?

On 07/14/2013 01:27 PM, David Nelson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I just now tried the torrent download, there were 19 seeders.
>
> Where did they get the torrent from?
>
> I did not see anything on the Download page providing any link to it or
> encouraging any would-be seeders.
> Since the torrent link is live, maybe it would be worth adding something?
>
> Who is responsible for generating the torrent for each release anyway?

Any reason why you do not want to download the "normal" way? I have
never tried the torrent downloading for LO, so I do not know what to
say.  It is much easier to do a direct download from one of the mirrors.

IT is 8 or 9 pm at the server site, so I do not know if the admin will
be available to fix the torrenting issue at the server end till the morning.

As for "who". . .  well I cannot answer that.  One of the guys who does
the server work [almost all are volunteers] is getting over a heart
attack.  Actually, I do not know if there is one set guy that sets up
the originalseed, but it is up to others do have it seeded on their
personal systems and keep the torrent package running in the background
so others can access it from their seeding.

Personally, I never leave a torrent package running anymore.  It is
against my security policies.

elcico2001 एल्चिको elcico2001 एल्चिको

Il 14/07/2013 19:27, David Nelson ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> When I just now tried the torrent download, there were 19 seeders.
>
> Where did they get the torrent from?
>
> I did not see anything on the Download page providing any link to it or
> encouraging any would-be seeders.
> Since the torrent link is live, maybe it would be worth adding something?
>
> Who is responsible for generating the torrent for each release anyway?

hi,
A now-being seeder... got the torrents from the torrents directory! ;)

eg for windows torrents:

http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/stable/4.0.4/win/x86/LibreOffice_4.0.4_Win_x86.msi.torrent

http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/stable/4.0.4/win/x86/

you don't see the torrents, but they are in that directory, they just
don't appear in the html page.

If you want to do some seeding, here is a little
"_n__ot-server-stressing_" ready-to-use script I made myself.
Of course I assume you're on linux and you have qt-transmission
installed (otherwise change the script as needed); create your own .sh
file, make it executable... and you're done.

Tips:

  * When you see the "add torrent url" request, you have to add the link
    as above (without the name of the torrent file, and keeping the
    final slash). Also change as needed the "save directory" (you can
    comment that if you don't need it).
  * In your torrent client, remove the option that shows you a warning
    window for each torrent you add.

And ehm... I'm quite sure the script can be improved, but you better not
change the --limit-rate and --wait options; those make the script "not
server stressing".

  - - -

clear
#
# url
#
echo -n "add libreoffice torrent url, deleting the file name (keep final
slash): "
read url_libo_win
echo
#
# download
#
cd ~
wget -r --no-parent -A.mirrorlist,torrent --limit-rate=40k --wait=20
--reject exe,asc,html,magnet $url_libo_win
sleep 1
#
# from internet url to local directory
#
url_libo_win2=$(echo $url_libo_win | sed "s/http:\/\///")
#
# deleting unwanted files + launching torrents with qt-transmission +
moving to a "save" directory
#
cd ~/$url_libo_win2
sleep 1
rm *.mirrorlist *.asc.torrent
sleep 1
transmission-qt *.torrent
sleep 60
mv *.torrent /your/save/directory/
echo
exit

  - - -

Bye :)

--
cico
----

Il 14/07/2013 21:56, elcico2001 एल्चिको ha scritto:
>   . . .
> Of course I assume you're on linux and you have qt-transmission
> installed (otherwise change the script as needed); create your own .sh
> file, make it executable... and you're done.
>
>  . . .
> Bye :)

ops... transmission-qt , not qt-transmission.

:)

--
cico
----

On 07/14/2013 03:56 PM, elcico2001 एल्चिको wrote:

> [...]
> #
> # url
> #
> echo -n "add libreoffice torrent url, deleting the file name (keep
> final slash): "
> read url_libo_win
> echo
> #
> # download
> #
> cd ~
> wget -r --no-parent -A.mirrorlist,torrent --limit-rate=40k --wait=20
> --reject exe,asc,html,magnet $url_libo_win
> sleep 1
> #
> # from internet url to local directory
> #
> url_libo_win2=$(echo $url_libo_win | sed "s/http:\/\///")
> #
> # deleting unwanted files + launching torrents with qt-transmission +

Maybe we need to have a wiki page with download instructions, scripts,
or other info, on using the torrent systems to download LO.  I have used
Frostwire on Windows and I have KGet on my Ubuntu 12.04 main desktop.

I really do not know anything about using scripts to help with the
torrent work on Linux, so what you have shown is not something I have
dealt with before.

For myself, it is much easier to download directly than from a torrent
secession.

Il 14/07/2013 23:01, Kracked_P_P---webmaster ha scritto:

> Maybe we need to have a wiki page with download instructions, scripts,
> or other info, on using the torrent systems to download LO.  I have
> used Frostwire on Windows and I have KGet on my Ubuntu 12.04 main
> desktop.
>
> I really do not know anything about using scripts to help with the
> torrent work on Linux, so what you have shown is not something I have
> dealt with before.
>
> For myself, it is much easier to download directly than from a torrent
> secession.

ehm... this script is for "hard" seeding (can we call it like that?)
the script downloads all torrent files for the version/system you want
and launches them automatically with the torrent client you specify in
the script itself.
bye :)

--
cico
----

David Nelson David Nelson

Re: Libreoffice.org: torrent downloads: where is the torrent for would-be seeders?

Hi,

Thanks for the info guys. I keep a seedbox on the Web for various FOSS
stuff (running under Linux of course) so what you told me is great.

I'll figure out a page on the wiki about it, and will post back when it's
done.

--
David Nelson

Re: Libreoffice.org: torrent downloads: where is the torrent for would-be seeders?

Hi David, *,

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 7:27 PM, David Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When I just now tried the torrent download, there were 19 seeders.
>
> Where did they get the torrent from?

Not sure what you mean with torrent in this context, as you explicitly
mention seeders.

If you mean the .torrent file, then people did most likely download it
from the download pages on www.libreoffice.org

If you mean: How could they get the complete file? Then the answer is
twofold: Our download server acts also as a seed, so there is always
at least one seed that has all the offered files. But there are too
many files to seed all files at once (but that's no problem really, as
never all files have leechers)
And also the .torrent file has webseeds enabled, i.e. regular http/ftp
mirrors that the bittorrent client can use in case there are no other
seeds/peers.
So even if both the tracker and the main seed are not available,
people can still download via torrent.

> I did not see anything on the Download page providing any link to it or
> encouraging any would-be seeders.

Oh, then you must have looked to hard, so that you did not see the
forest with all those trees around :-))

http://www.libreoffice.org/download in the download-buttons, there is
a link "Torrent" that will get you the .torrent file :-)

> Since the torrent link is live, maybe it would be worth adding something?

See above.

> Who is responsible for generating the torrent for each release anyway?

That is done automatically by mirrorbrain, the tool we use on the
donwloadserver. (the software that picks a mirror close to the user
who is requesting the download/distributes the requests to multiple
mirrors). So that is done automatically.

mirrorbrain creates the torrent file as well as additional other
hashes. Just use the "Info" link on one of the buttons to see what it
provides.

ciao
Christian

Re: Libreoffice.org: torrent downloads: where is the torrent for would-be seeders?

Hi *,

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 9:56 PM, elcico2001 एल्चिको <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Il 14/07/2013 19:27, David Nelson ha scritto:
> [...]
> http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/stable/4.0.4/win/x86/
>
> you don't see the torrents, but they are in that directory, they just don't
> appear in the html page.

Well, technically they are not in that directory, but are generated on
request (as the regular mirrors from the requesting user's region are
added as websources)

> If you want to do some seeding, here is a little "_n__ot-server-stressing_"
> ready-to-use script I made myself.
> Of course I assume you're on linux and you have qt-transmission installed
> (otherwise change the script as needed); create your own .sh file, make it
> executable... and you're done.

As most clients suitable for larger-scale seeding allow watching a
directory, just downloading the torrents to that directory probably is
easier.

> cd ~
> wget -r --no-parent -A.mirrorlist,torrent --limit-rate=40k --wait=20
> --reject exe,asc,html,magnet $url_libo_win
> sleep 1

Absolutely no need to do any recursive reading here. The name is
deterministic. Just append ".torrent" to the regular URL and you'll
get the torrent.

And when you intend to seed the torrent, there's no point in
downloading the actual file using the traditional mirrors.

So instead of trying to parse html (the download-directory listing) /
using recursive wget, just use rsync to get the listing and filter to
your liking to limit the files you want to seed.

rsync -r rsync://rsync.documentfoundation.org/tdf-pub | awk
'/yourfilter/{print "http://download.documentfoundation.org/" $5
",torrent"}' | xargs -r wget

instead of doing the filtering in awk, you can also use rsync's
switches. But that way you can just create the list of files with
rsync once, and then use the file as awk's input.

ciao
Christian

Re: Libreoffice.org: torrent downloads: where is the torrent for would-be seeders?

Hi *,

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 11:01 PM, Kracked_P_P---webmaster
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 07/14/2013 03:56 PM, elcico2001 एल्चिको wrote:

> Maybe we need to have a wiki page with download instructions, scripts, or
> other info, on using the torrent systems to download LO.

No, the script that was posted is not needed by regular users. Regular
users just go to the download page and click on the "torrent" link. No
black magic scripting needed :-)

>  I have used
> Frostwire on Windows and I have KGet on my Ubuntu 12.04 main desktop.
>
> I really do not know anything about using scripts to help with the torrent
> work on Linux, so what you have shown is not something I have dealt with
> before.

And it is not needed for regular downloads. A script is only
needed/helpful when you want to do large-scale seeding. If you only
want to seed the files you download and install yourself, then no need
for any script. But if you want to seed tens or hundreds of files,
then manually downloading the .torrent files can be replaced by a
script.

ciao
Christian

Il 16/07/2013 21:17, Christian Lohmaier ha scritto:

> Hi *,
>
> On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 9:56 PM, elcico2001 एल्चिको <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Il 14/07/2013 19:27, David Nelson ha scritto:
>> [...]
>> http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/stable/4.0.4/win/x86/
>>
>> you don't see the torrents, but they are in that directory, they just don't
>> appear in the html page.
> Well, technically they are not in that directory, but are generated on
> request (as the regular mirrors from the requesting user's region are
> added as websources)
>
>> If you want to do some seeding, here is a little "_n__ot-server-stressing_"
>> ready-to-use script I made myself.
>> Of course I assume you're on linux and you have qt-transmission installed
>> (otherwise change the script as needed); create your own .sh file, make it
>> executable... and you're done.
> As most clients suitable for larger-scale seeding allow watching a
> directory, just downloading the torrents to that directory probably is
> easier.
>

>> cd ~
>> wget -r --no-parent -A.mirrorlist,torrent --limit-rate=40k --wait=20
>> --reject exe,asc,html,magnet $url_libo_win
>> sleep 1
> Absolutely no need to do any recursive reading here. The name is
> deterministic. Just append ".torrent" to the regular URL and you'll
> get the torrent.
>
> And when you intend to seed the torrent, there's no point in
> downloading the actual file using the traditional mirrors.
>
> So instead of trying to parse html (the download-directory listing) /
> using recursive wget, just use rsync to get the listing and filter to
> your liking to limit the files you want to seed.
>
> rsync -r rsync://rsync.documentfoundation.org/tdf-pub | awk
> '/yourfilter/{print "http://download.documentfoundation.org/" $5
> ",torrent"}' | xargs -r wget
>
> instead of doing the filtering in awk, you can also use rsync's
> switches. But that way you can just create the list of files with
> rsync once, and then use the file as awk's input.
>
> ciao
> Christian

Thank you for your suggestions Christian!
Not being a programmer, I'll have to study something here... :)
Anyway I'll sure try to use rsync that way.
Thanks again! Luca :)

--
cico
----