[Libreoffice-qa] Visual representation of calc borders slightly changed

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Markus Mohrhard Markus Mohrhard
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Libreoffice-qa] Visual representation of calc borders slightly changed

Hey,

I just pushed a fix for fdo#33634 to master. This patch changes the
visual representation of borders significantly and I ask therefore for
testing and a ux look. We now display the borders based on the actual
width information and don't cast them to uInt16 which looses nearly
all precision. It would be nice if we could get some people checking
that their favorite area is not affected by this change. I had a look
at the use of svx::frame::Style and it seems that one part of writer
suffered from the same problem and should benefit from this fix too.

Please have a special look at visual appearance, export to pdf,
printing, print preview and all areas that you know which use borders.

Comments and testing appreciated.

Regards,
Markus
_______________________________________________
List Name: Libreoffice-qa mailing list
Mail address: [hidden email]
Change settings: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-qa
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice-qa/
Cor Nouws Cor Nouws
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Visual representation of calc borders slightly changed

Hi Markus,

Markus Mohrhard wrote (04-04-12 03:11)

> I just pushed a fix for fdo#33634 to master.

:-)

> Please have a special look at visual appearance, export to pdf,
> printing, print preview and all areas that you know which use borders.

Have found fdo#48377 - possiprolly related ?

Cheers,

--
  - Cor
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org

_______________________________________________
List Name: Libreoffice-qa mailing list
Mail address: [hidden email]
Change settings: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-qa
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice-qa/
Markus Mohrhard Markus Mohrhard
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Visual representation of calc borders slightly changed

In reply to this post by Markus Mohrhard
Hey,

2012/4/4 Markus Mohrhard <[hidden email]>:

> Hey,
>
> I just pushed a fix for fdo#33634 to master. This patch changes the
> visual representation of borders significantly and I ask therefore for
> testing and a ux look. We now display the borders based on the actual
> width information and don't cast them to uInt16 which looses nearly
> all precision. It would be nice if we could get some people checking
> that their favorite area is not affected by this change. I had a look
> at the use of svx::frame::Style and it seems that one part of writer
> suffered from the same problem and should benefit from this fix too.
>
> Please have a special look at visual appearance, export to pdf,
> printing, print preview and all areas that you know which use borders.
>
> Comments and testing appreciated.
>
Now also attached two pictures showing before and after my change. I
hope that this makes it easier for all having no master build.

_______________________________________________
List Name: Libreoffice-qa mailing list
Mail address: [hidden email]
Change settings: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-qa
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice-qa/

border_new.png (4K) Download Attachment
border_old.png (3K) Download Attachment
Michael Meeks-2 Michael Meeks-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Visual representation of calc borders slightly changed

In reply to this post by Markus Mohrhard

On Wed, 2012-04-04 at 03:11 +0200, Markus Mohrhard wrote:

> I just pushed a fix for fdo#33634 to master. This patch changes the
> visual representation of borders significantly and I ask therefore for
> testing and a ux look. We now display the borders based on the actual
> width information and don't cast them to uInt16 which looses nearly
> all precision. It would be nice if we could get some people checking
> that their favorite area is not affected by this change. I had a look
> at the use of svx::frame::Style and it seems that one part of writer
> suffered from the same problem and should benefit from this fix too.
>
> Please have a special look at visual appearance, export to pdf,
> printing, print preview and all areas that you know which use borders.

        No comments in a week ? I assume that the development builds have this
included by now :-)

        Thanks,

                Michael.

--
[hidden email]  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot

_______________________________________________
List Name: Libreoffice-qa mailing list
Mail address: [hidden email]
Change settings: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-qa
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice-qa/
Pedro Pedro
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Visual representation of calc borders slightly changed

Michael Meeks-2 wrote
        No comments in a week ? I assume that the development builds have this
included by now :-)
I just tested LOdev 3.5.3rc0+  (Build ID: 90872c9-a73d29c-6845e52-f269e46-186d9ed or http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/Win-x86@15-Prague_Win32/libreoffice-3-5/2012-04-13_13.20.58/) and couldn't notice any change.

On a positive note, I opened an ods produced with LOdev 3.5.3rc0+ with 3 different line types on previous versions of LO (3.5.1, 3.5.0, 3.4.5 and 3.3.4 under Windows XP Pro x86 SP3) and they looked exactly the same.

The "Preview in Web Browser option" produces unexpected lines in the center part (different from the outer border which shows the selected line)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2347109/Borders.htm

Hope this helps :)
Markus Mohrhard Markus Mohrhard
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Visual representation of calc borders slightly changed

Hey,

> I just tested LOdev 3.5.3rc0+  (Build ID:
> 90872c9-a73d29c-6845e52-f269e46-186d9ed or
> http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/Win-x86@15-Prague_Win32/libreoffice-3-5/2012-04-13_13.20.58/)
> and couldn't notice any change.
>
> On a positive note, I opened an ods produced with LOdev 3.5.3rc0+ with 3
> different line types on previous versions of LO (3.5.1, 3.5.0, 3.4.5 and
> 3.3.4 under Windows XP Pro x86 SP3) and they looked exactly the same.
>
> The "Preview in Web Browser option" produces unexpected lines in the center
> part (different from the outer border which shows the selected line)
>

As mentioned in my initial mail this will not make it into 3.5 and is
only in master builds.

Regards,
Markus
_______________________________________________
List Name: Libreoffice-qa mailing list
Mail address: [hidden email]
Change settings: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-qa
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice-qa/
Pedro Pedro
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Visual representation of calc borders slightly changed

Markus Mohrhard wrote
As mentioned in my initial mail this will not make it into 3.5 and is
only in master builds.
Oops! My bad :)

Just tested with LOdev version 3.6.0alpha0+  (Build ID: e00e693) from http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/Win-x86@6-fast/master/2012-04-13_22.07.42/

The Preview in Web Browser has exactly the same problem.

In the Page Preview mode, the border antialias is more blurred but more consistent than in 3.5.x

SIDENOTE: while in Page Preview mode, Zooming in by dragging the Zoom slider (or clicking the Zoom In button) under Windows (XP x86) shrinks the Preview window. When this happens dragging the slider to the opposite direction (or clicking the Zoom Out button) further shrinks the Preview window

Hope this helps ;)
pierre-yves samyn pierre-yves samyn
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Visual representation of calc borders slightly changed

In reply to this post by Markus Mohrhard
Hello

> Message du 06/04/12 13:56
> De : "Markus Mohrhard"
> I just pushed a fix for fdo#33634 to master. This patch changes the
> visual representation of borders significantly
> ...
> Comments and testing appreciated.

Tested with version 3.6.0alpha0+ (Build ID: c2003c7) & windows 7 64bits

No problem (normal view, preview, page break preview, print, export pdf...)

Good job, thank's :)


Regards
Pierre-Yves

Une messagerie gratuite, garantie à vie et des services en plus, ça vous tente ?
Je crée ma boîte mail www.laposte.net
_______________________________________________
List Name: Libreoffice-qa mailing list
Mail address: [hidden email]
Change settings: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-qa
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice-qa/
Stefan Knorr (Astron) Stefan Knorr (Astron)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Visual representation of calc borders slightly changed

Hi all,

at the Hackfest (almost a month ago now, shame on me), I noticed how
the corners of the cells were slightly round... although they should
be square. This isn't a new effect, it's just that Markus's work
highlights it more.
Markus suggested that you (Thorsten) might be good person to speak to,
if we want perfect squares here. Can you do anything about that? (See
attached screenshot borders-round.png – just a magnification of
Markus's shot.)

The other thing I noticed is that LibO seems to aim for accuracy a bit
much now, thus borders sometimes look a bit fuzzy – can that at all be
avoided by better aligning them to pixel borders? (See
borders-shouldbe.png for a primitive visualisation of it.)


Astron.

_______________________________________________
List Name: Libreoffice-qa mailing list
Mail address: [hidden email]
Change settings: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-qa
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice-qa/

borders-round.png (602 bytes) Download Attachment
borders-shouldbe.png (476 bytes) Download Attachment
Thorsten Behrens-4 Thorsten Behrens-4
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Visual representation of calc borders slightly changed

Stefan Knorr wrote:
> Markus suggested that you (Thorsten) might be good person to speak to,
> if we want perfect squares here. Can you do anything about that? (See
> attached screenshot borders-round.png – just a magnification of
> Markus's shot.)
>
Hi Astron,

well easiest would be to wrap border drawing with

 aOutdev.SetAntialiasing( aOutdev.GetAntialiasing() & ~ANTIALIASING_ENABLE_B2DDRAW );

, which simply disables antialiased rendering.

> The other thing I noticed is that LibO seems to aim for accuracy a bit
> much now, thus borders sometimes look a bit fuzzy – can that at all be
> avoided by better aligning them to pixel borders? (See
> borders-shouldbe.png for a primitive visualisation of it.)
>
Same as above, but yeah, if you have pixel-accurate coordinates, and
only vertical & horizontal lines, you shouldn't get _any_ grey
levels (modulo bugs).

Cheers,

-- Thorsten

_______________________________________________
List Name: Libreoffice-qa mailing list
Mail address: [hidden email]
Change settings: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-qa
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice-qa/

attachment0 (205 bytes) Download Attachment