Libreoffice, task manager bar and the running application icon

mcmurchy1917techy mcmurchy1917techy

Libreoffice, task manager bar and the running application icon

I've got a problem that's bugging me.

The initial problem was that if I started calc, it started as expected
except that in the task manager bar, which displays the running
applications, I see an icon with a X and a circle through it, I suspect
this icon is the default icon for running applications, the icon I'm
expecting in the task manager bar is  the calc icon. The Base and
Impress icons displayed as expected.

The icon for writer displayed perfectly.

It bugged me so much yesterday that I decided to temporarily change from
kde4 to xcfe. I started up Calc and got what I suspect was the default
icon not the calc icon. Started writer got the default icon not the
writer icon.

Returned to kde4.

This time. Started up Calc andgot the icon with a X and a circle through
it not the calc icon - same as before. Started up Writer andgot the icon
with a X and a circle through it not the writer icon, whereas previously
I would have got the writer icon. The same was seen with the Base and
Impress icons which were displayed as the X and a circle through it.

By switching from kde4 to xfce and then back again, I've made matters worse.

My question is where does the desk top environments get these icons
from? How can I get the calc and writer icons displaying in the task
manager bar

Alex

aguador aguador

Re: Libreoffice, task manager bar and the running application icon

El jue, 10-10-2019 a las 10:49 +0100, mcmurchy1917techy escribió:

> My question is where does the desk top environments get these icons
> from? How can I get the calc and writer icons displaying in the task
> manager bar
>
> Alex

The icons on the panel will be determined by the icon set chosen in the
desktop environment, and most of the major sets (e.g., faenza, papyrus,
breeze, oxygen) have a full set of icons for LO. So, even if only LO
icons are not displaying properly, it is not really a matter for this
list but for your distribution. I would post a question to its ML or in
its forum. You could also try linuxquestions.org.

BTW your message seems to imply that you have both the GTK XFCE and the
QT Plasma DEs installed together, which is unusual. There might be a
chance that has something to do with the problem you are having. So
again, I would check with your distro.

Girvin Herr-5 Girvin Herr-5

Re: Libreoffice, task manager bar and the running application icon

Alex,

I am assuming you are using a Linux distro, since you mention kde and
xfce. I am using Slackware Linux and xfce. I would first try running the
following script as root to refresh the icon cache before you get too deep:

#!/bin/sh
# Cache the icons:
if [ -x /usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache ];  then
   for THEME in gnome locolor hicolor ; do
     if [ -e /usr/share/icons/${THEME}/icon-theme.cache ];  then
       /usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache  /usr/share/icons/${THEME}
 >/dev/null 2>&1
     fi
   done
fi

#
# Update the desktop database:
if [ -x /usr/bin/update-desktop-database ];  then
   /usr/bin/update-desktop-database  -q  /usr/share/applications
fi

#
# Update the mime database:
if [ -x /usr/bin/update-mime-database ];  then
   /usr/bin/update-mime-database  /usr/share/mime  >/dev/null 2>&1
fi

It won't hurt to refresh the desktop and mime databases also, as shown
in the script. Historically when I suggested this to other users with
icon problems, running this script cured their problems. I run this as
part of my installation script when the LibreOffice package is
installed, thus updating the databases at install time.

FYI, the icons are defined in the .desktop files for each of the
LibreOffice apps in:

/opt/libreoffice5.3/share/xdg/*.desktop

Look for the "Icon=" entry in the desktop file. Additionally, you may
have defined additional desktop files in ~/Desktop . This directory is
where the desktop shortcuts may have been copied/placed by you to your
desktop.

And the icon files are in:

/usr/share/icons

Note that libreoffice5.3 is the version I happen to be using. Substitute
your version as needed. Note also that these are for my Slackware
system. Your distro may place them elsewhere, but it should be similar.

HTH.

Girvin

aguador aguador

El jue, 10-10-2019 a las 20:08 +0200, aguador escribió:

> El jue, 10-10-2019 a las 10:49 +0100, mcmurchy1917techy escribió:
> > My question is where does the desk top environments get these icons
> > from? How can I get the calc and writer icons displaying in the
> > task
> > manager bar
> >
> > Alex
> >
> The icons on the panel will be determined by the icon set chosen in
> the
> desktop environment, and most of the major sets (e.g., faenza,
> papyrus,
> breeze, oxygen) have a full set of icons for LO. So, even if only LO
> icons are not displaying properly, it is not really a matter for this
> list but for your distribution. I would post a question to its ML or
> in
> its forum. You could also try linuxquestions.org.
>
> BTW your message seems to imply that you have both the GTK XFCE and
> the
> QT Plasma DEs installed together, which is unusual. There might be a
> chance that has something to do with the problem you are having. So
> again, I would check with your distro.

PS If this is affecting LO only, there are a couple of things you can
try first. 1) Try restarting the LO applications in "safe mode" (from
the help menu). 2) If that does not help (which I doubt), back up your
profile and let LO create a new one (
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/UserProfile). 3) Download the
proper LO package (deb,rpm) from the Doc Foundation and see if it works
properly to rule out any packaging issues in your distro.

Dave Howorth Dave Howorth

Re: Libreoffice, task manager bar and the running application icon

On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 20:08:17 +0200
aguador <[hidden email]> wrote:

> BTW your message seems to imply that you have both the GTK XFCE and
> the QT Plasma DEs installed together, which is unusual. There might
> be a chance that has something to do with the problem you are having.
> So again, I would check with your distro.

There's nothing strange about having multiple desktops installed. Most
login managers allow you to choose which you want when you log in.

mcmurchy1917techy mcmurchy1917techy

Re: Libreoffice, task manager bar and the running application icon

Hi Girvin

Thanks for the reply. I too use Slackware.

I've only got the /usr/share/icons/hicolor/icon-theme.cache script on my
system. Do I need to reboot the machine for the change to take effect?

Alex

Girvin Herr-5 Girvin Herr-5

Re: Libreoffice, task manager bar and the running application icon

Alex,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I was attending a conference the
last 3 days.

There is a manpage for gtk-update-icon-cache which explains what it does
and what to expect. Here is a snippet from that manpage:

-----

gtk-update-icon-cache creates mmapable cache files for icon themes.

        It expects to be given the PATH to a icon theme directory
containing an index.theme, e.g.
        /usr/share/icons/hicolor, and writes a icon-theme.cache
containing cached information about the icons in
        the directory tree below the given directory.

        GTK+ can use the cache files created by gtk-update-icon-cache to
avoid a lot of system call and disk
        seek overhead when the application starts. Since the format of
the cache files allows them to be mmaped
        shared between multiple applications, the overall memory
consumption is reduced as well.
-----

I checked the LibreOffice 5.3 package file in /var/log/packages, which
shows LibreOffice was installed into /opt, but the icons are installed
into /usr/share/icons/gnome and /usr/share/icons/hicolor and
/usr/share/icons/locolor . The script I gave you caches all three.

I think the problem you are experiencing may be caused by the old cache
not reflecting the updated icons after you installed the LibreOffice
update, thus xfce or kde fail to load the icon(s) and they will display
the default icon. Running the script I suggested will re-sync the icon
cache to your new icons.

No, I don't think you need to reboot after using the script. That is a
windows-ism.

BTW: To keep the record straight, the icon-theme.cache file is not a
script as you called it. So, you cannot execute it. In fact, it is not
human-readable.

HTH.

Girvin