My suggestion for the UI regarding coloring looks as described below.
- The attachment writer_comment_UI_example.html shows a living example of
the description below (without lines for comments, because they are difficult
- The attachment writer_comment_UI.png shows an example of the transparency
of unfocussed comments.
Not selected / focussed comment:
- transparency of background / marking / text is 50%.
- marked text has dashed border
- mouse cursor is hovers over comment area.
- mouse cursor is hovers over marked text.
- transparency of text marking border becomes 0%.
- transparency of marked text becomes 0%.
- typing cursor is inside a comment
- like selected comment, but:
- border width increases.
- dashed lines are solid.
There is still a problem, if comments and text are so far away, that both
cannot be shown on screen. As solving that problem makes things more difficult,
I only focussed on coloring / styling in this post.