[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [Bug 77755] New: Items in Status Bars have different locations between different components.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
bugzilla-daemon bugzilla-daemon
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [Bug 77755] New: Items in Status Bars have different locations between different components.

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=77755

          Priority: medium
            Bug ID: 77755
                CC: [hidden email]
          Assignee: [hidden email]
           Summary: Items in Status Bars have different locations between
                    different components.
          Severity: normal
    Classification: Unclassified
                OS: All
          Reporter: [hidden email]
          Hardware: Other
            Status: UNCONFIRMED
           Version: Inherited From OOo
         Component: ux-advise
           Product: LibreOffice

Created attachment 97723
  --> https://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=97723&action=edit
Visual comparison of Writer, Impress, and Draw's status bars.

LibreOffice Writer and Calc's status bars have a different layout than Draw and
Impress. Writer and Calc have page listed on the left corner while Impress and
Draw have it in the middle. In addition, Writer and Calc have the page style on
the left side, while Draw and Impress have that on the right side. This is
inconsistent. Writer's placement of each seems more ergonomic, so it might be
best to change Draw and Impress to align with Writer, rather than the other way
around.

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are on the CC list for the bug.
_______________________________________________
Libreoffice-ux-advise mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-ux-advise
bugzilla-daemon bugzilla-daemon
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [Bug 77755] Items in Status Bars have different locations between different components.

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=77755

Cor Nouws <[hidden email]> changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                 CC|                            |[hidden email]

--- Comment #1 from Cor Nouws <[hidden email]> ---
Hi Daniel,

At a first glance looks reasonable. Did you match that thought on a analyses of
the full contents and functions of the status bar in the various modules?

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are on the CC list for the bug.
_______________________________________________
Libreoffice-ux-advise mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-ux-advise
bugzilla-daemon bugzilla-daemon
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [Bug 77755] Items in Status Bars have different locations between different components.

In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=77755

Adolfo Jayme <[hidden email]> changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Attachment #97723|text/plain                  |image/png
          mime type|                            |

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are on the CC list for the bug.
_______________________________________________
Libreoffice-ux-advise mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-ux-advise
bugzilla-daemon bugzilla-daemon
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [Bug 77755] Items in Status Bars have different locations between different components.

In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=77755

--- Comment #2 from Adolfo Jayme <[hidden email]> ---
Both Impress and Draw can display a rather lenghty status message in the left,
empty area, when clicking certain objects (“Object <name> selected”, etcetera).
If complete consistency between components is /really/ desired, please comment
on where to place the text that is currently displayed in the left side, or
otherwise what to do with it (maybe dropping it would be fine?).

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are on the CC list for the bug.
_______________________________________________
Libreoffice-ux-advise mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-ux-advise
bugzilla-daemon bugzilla-daemon
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [Bug 77755] Items in Status Bars have different locations between different components.

In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=77755

--- Comment #3 from Daniel Hulse <[hidden email]> ---
Created attachment 97728
  --> https://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=97728&action=edit
Moving Draw's status bars to be consistent with Writer's.

I don't really think it's necessary to totally remove that part of the status
bar. If the elements are just moved, no space is lost--there would still be
plenty of room for that information. Then again, I'm not sure the information
displayed is really that important. It might be useful in some cases.

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are on the CC list for the bug.
_______________________________________________
Libreoffice-ux-advise mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-ux-advise
bugzilla-daemon bugzilla-daemon
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [Bug 77755] Items in Status Bars have different locations between different components.

In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=77755

--- Comment #4 from Daniel Hulse <[hidden email]> ---
Created attachment 97729
  --> https://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=97729&action=edit
Moving Draw's status bars to be consistent with Writer's--2

Given that writer displays word count in the second space of the status bar,
this might be a more consistent design.

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are on the CC list for the bug.
_______________________________________________
Libreoffice-ux-advise mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-ux-advise
bugzilla-daemon bugzilla-daemon
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [Bug 77755] Items in Status Bars have different locations between different components.

In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=77755

--- Comment #5 from Daniel Hulse <[hidden email]> ---
Created attachment 97730
  --> https://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=97730&action=edit
If both status bars were changed.

I rather liked the first's placement page next to the style, though. I think it
creates a nice separation between items that change depending on where the
cursor is placed and items that don't. What if Writer's status bar was changed
to match?

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are on the CC list for the bug.
_______________________________________________
Libreoffice-ux-advise mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-ux-advise
bugzilla-daemon bugzilla-daemon
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [Bug 77755] Items in Status Bars have different locations between different components.

In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=77755

Regina Henschel <[hidden email]> changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                 CC|                            |[hidden email]

--- Comment #6 from Regina Henschel <[hidden email]> ---
I do not like the idea for this reasons:
Draw and Writer are very different, and therefore it is natural, that they need
different content in status bar.
Fields are only similar on a first glance, but actually provide different
functions.
Users are familiar with the current order for several years now, starting with
StarOffice about 15years ago.
Changing the layout introduces additional work for documentation, which is done
currently by a really small team.

 (In reply to comment #2)
> Both Impress and Draw can display a rather lenghty status message in the
> left, empty area, when clicking certain objects (“Object <name> selected”,
> etcetera). If complete consistency between components is /really/ desired,
> please comment on where to place the text that is currently displayed in the
> left side, or otherwise what to do with it (maybe dropping it would be
> fine?).

Do not remove that field. It is essential for changing shapes in point mode.
For example it is the only place to get the angles of an arc.

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are on the CC list for the bug.
_______________________________________________
Libreoffice-ux-advise mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-ux-advise
bugzilla-daemon bugzilla-daemon
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [Bug 77755] Items in Status Bars have different locations between different components.

In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=77755

--- Comment #7 from Daniel Hulse <[hidden email]> ---
(In reply to comment #6)
> I do not like the idea for this reasons:
> Draw and Writer are very different, and therefore it is natural, that they
> need different content in status bar.
> Fields are only similar on a first glance, but actually provide different
> functions.

Regina could you say specifically what makes Draw and Impress different enough
to merit different status bar layouts? I understand that they have different
content, but shouldn't similar content be put in the same place for each?

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are on the CC list for the bug.
_______________________________________________
Libreoffice-ux-advise mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-ux-advise
bugzilla-daemon bugzilla-daemon
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [Bug 77755] Items in Status Bars have different locations between different components.

In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=77755

Daniel Hulse <[hidden email]> changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Attachment #97730|0                           |1
        is obsolete|                            |

--- Comment #8 from Daniel Hulse <[hidden email]> ---
Created attachment 97785
  --> https://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=97785&action=edit
If both status bars were changed.

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are on the CC list for the bug.
_______________________________________________
Libreoffice-ux-advise mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-ux-advise
bugzilla-daemon bugzilla-daemon
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [Bug 77755] Items in Status Bars have different locations between different components.

In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=77755

--- Comment #9 from Regina Henschel <[hidden email]> ---
The fields do different things:

"page count field"
Writer: .uno:StatePageNumber; double-click calls Navigator
Draw: .uno:PageStatus; no action, but display of the layer of an object

"page style field"
Writer: .uno:PageStyleName; double-click calls page style dialog; right-click
to select page style from list
Draw: .uno:LayoutStatus; double-click calls slide design dialog (That is not
the page setup!); right-click to select master page from list.

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are on the CC list for the bug.
_______________________________________________
Libreoffice-ux-advise mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-ux-advise
bugzilla-daemon bugzilla-daemon
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [Bug 77755] Items in Status Bars have different locations between different components.

In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=77755

--- Comment #10 from Daniel Hulse <[hidden email]> ---
I know they do different things. What I was asking was is specific reasons why
those differences mean they should be in different places. After all, just
because the slide design and page style dialogues are different doesn't mean
they aren't analogous, and I don't see any reason why clicking the slide number
in Draw or Impress shouldn't bring up the navigator; it's just another
inconsistency that should be fixed.

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are on the CC list for the bug.
_______________________________________________
Libreoffice-ux-advise mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-ux-advise
bugzilla-daemon bugzilla-daemon
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [Bug 77755] Items in Status Bars have different locations between different components.

In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=77755

Cor Nouws <[hidden email]> changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
             Status|UNCONFIRMED                 |NEEDINFO
     Ever confirmed|0                           |1

--- Comment #11 from Cor Nouws <[hidden email]> ---
Hi Daniel
(In reply to comment #10)
> I know they do different things. What I was asking was is specific reasons
> [...]

I see your point. But I'm quite hesitant to change unless we know for sure that
it does not causes pain or issues. (May happen before we realise..)

Your attachment 97785 does not give me reason *at a first glance* to disagree.
Sadly I lack time to dive in all details easily. I'll look at the statusbar
more often the next days to help make up my mind.

And for the rest... what do others know & think?

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are on the CC list for the bug.
_______________________________________________
Libreoffice-ux-advise mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-ux-advise
bugzilla-daemon bugzilla-daemon
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [Bug 77755] Items in Status Bars have different locations between different components.

In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=77755

--- Comment #12 from Owen Genat <[hidden email]> ---
I agree with Daniel (OP). This report is about consistency in location of
information rather that what information is displayed or how it is accessed.
There is obviously enough space available because the status bar, regardless of
component, has the same length. The mockups clearly illustrate what is
possible. I think this can be confirmed and set to NEW.

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are on the CC list for the bug.
_______________________________________________
Libreoffice-ux-advise mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-ux-advise
bugzilla-daemon bugzilla-daemon
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [Bug 77755] Items in Status Bars have different locations between different components.

In reply to this post by bugzilla-daemon
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=77755

Daniel Hulse <[hidden email]> changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
             Status|NEEDINFO                    |NEW

--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are on the CC list for the bug.
_______________________________________________
Libreoffice-ux-advise mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-ux-advise