[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Faenza Icons

Bjoern Michaelsen Bjoern Michaelsen

[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Faenza Icons

Hi,

anyone in contact with these guys?

 http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=157970&forumpage=0&PHPSESSID=19364b75b3826103c4b57ee9be0cc55c
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwSEJ6skAig

the theme looks really nice and I would love to see it properly upstreamed for 4.1.

Best,

Bjoern
mirek2 mirek2

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Faenza Icons

Hi Bjoern,

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 5:50 PM, Bjoern Michaelsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

anyone in contact with these guys?

 http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=157970&forumpage=0&PHPSESSID=19364b75b3826103c4b57ee9be0cc55c
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwSEJ6skAig

the theme looks really nice and I would love to see it properly upstreamed for 4.1.

I remember looking at the Faenza theme [1] and noting that it was GPL licensed, which would lead to complications with our dual LGPL/MPL licensing. The LibreOffice Faenza pack seems to be licensed under the LGPL, though, which might make it simpler to include. However, that seems a bit fishy to me, given that they are based on Faenza and elementary [2] icons, both of which are GPL licensed.

Even despite the licensing problems, though, I don't feel like the Faenza theme is complete enough (it seems that there are only a few dozen icons), consistent enough, or quality enough (there's an odd use of red in some icons) to be bundled with LibreOffice.
I have much higher hope for the flat icon theme [3] that we are working on. (Right now, it's being driven by Issa, but hopefully more people will join.)

Bjoern Michaelsen Bjoern Michaelsen

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Faenza Icons

Hi Mirek,

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 10:01:40PM +0200, Mirek M. wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 5:50 PM, Bjoern Michaelsen <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > anyone in contact with these guys?
> >

> > http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=157970&forumpage=0&PHPSESSID=19364b75b3826103c4b57ee9be0cc55c
> >  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwSEJ6skAig
> >
> > the theme looks really nice and I would love to see it properly upstreamed
> > for 4.1.
> >

> I remember looking at the Faenza theme [1] and noting that it was GPL
> licensed, which would lead to complications with our dual LGPL/MPL
> licensing. The LibreOffice Faenza pack seems to be licensed under the LGPL,
> though, which might make it simpler to include. However, that seems a bit
> fishy to me, given that they are based on Faenza and elementary [2] icons,
> both of which are GPL licensed.
>
> Even despite the licensing problems, though, I don't feel like the Faenza
> theme is complete enough (it seems that there are only a few dozen icons),
> consistent enough, or quality enough (there's an odd use of red in some
> icons) to be bundled with LibreOffice.
> I have much higher hope for the flat icon theme [3] that we are working on.
> (Right now, it's being driven by Issa, but hopefully more people will join.)
>
> [1] http://tiheum.deviantart.com/art/Faenza-Icons-173323228
> [2] http://danrabbit.deviantart.com/art/elementary-Icons-65437279
> [3] https://github.com/libodesign/flat-icons

Well, IANAL but IMHO the licensing shouldnt block this to go upstream per se --
it would need a decision of the ESC if we want this as it puts some extra work
on distributing the source. Just because we invite people to work on this
directly upstream we do not have to include it in our (TDF) binary builds.
Distros might build the package then and license the binary package with a
different license, should we choose to build that binary package. Its a bit of
extra pain to do so, but its not like it changes much in the complexity of the
big picture of things:

 http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-openoffice/libreoffice.git;a=blob;f=copyright;h=e1b3c3f90bec815658e3c538ab05494879dbfc09;hb=d0a79990bc89822f74b94e82626cbcd02a3ab2b9

As for being incomplete: Upstreaming it might just be the catalyst to change
that.

As for the flat theme: Looking nice too, but there is no reason one would block
the other, so why not have both.

Best,

Bjoern
Mariano  Gaudix Mariano Gaudix

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Faenza Icons

What  license   i  must use   ?
¿ LGPL  version  3.0 ?
So ,  you can use and modify  this   icons  for LibreOffice  .

Best regards  Mariano  Gaudix  .
mirek2 mirek2

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 11:20 PM, Bjoern Michaelsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
As for being incomplete: Upstreaming it might just be the catalyst to change
that.

As for the flat theme: Looking nice too, but there is no reason one would block
the other, so why not have both.

The thing is, we don't even have enough manpower to maintain our current default theme, let alone develop this Faenza theme. I'd rather not ship something that's in a half-baked state, and, given the licensing complications, it's not something I feel like we should devote our time to -- we'd be spreading ourselves too thin.

That said, if anyone would like to devote their time to refining and bundling this theme, I wouldn't oppose their effort.

mirek2 mirek2

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Faenza Icons

Hi Mariano,

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Mariano Gaudiners <[hidden email]> wrote:
What  license   i  must use   ?
¿ LGPL  version  3.0 ?
So ,  you can use and modify  this   icons  for LibreOffice  .

For artwork, we currently prefer CC-BY-SA (or CC0/public domain).
However, it seems like the icons are derived from the Faenza theme and the elementary theme, which both use the GPL license. Thus, the icon pack must be GPL licensed as well. (You can't license GPL-derived works under the LGPL.)

Mariano  Gaudix Mariano Gaudix

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Faenza Icons

 I developed   these  icons .
I am only in this project .

Matthew james  developer of faenza  , he  don't know on this icons .
I did  inspire on Faenza  icons  .

I put the  name Faenza    to the icons  , because   these icons  are  similar   to  faenza  .

I developed  the rest of icons  .

You can visited  my  artwork .

http://marianogaudix.deviantart.com/gallery/