[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Next » 12
Artur Dryomov Artur Dryomov

[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Hi All,

This summer I am working on Android Impress Remote improvements.
UI and UX polishing is one of my primary goals. I prepared some mockups to show you main concepts.

It would be great to hear your opinions and suggestions.
If you do not want to flood discussion threads you can send me a private message.

Regards,
Artur.

mirek2 mirek2

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Hi Artur,
Looks great!

I am a bit concerned about the spartan Slide view, though. Where did the timer go? Where did Notes go?
It would also be good to know which slide a person is on and out of how many.

Other than that, I have some minor nitpicks with the wording and the text size:
The heading on the connection screen should mention the network name (e.g. "Connecting to 192.168.1.10").
The code on the connection pairing screen and the heading on the fail screen could be bigger.
Text labels could be shorter. [1]
"If you don't assign a name, the address will be used." should suffice on the Wi-Fi connection screen.
"Make sure you enabled the remote control in Impress under "Tools -> Options -> LibreOffice Impress -> General"." should suffice on the Connection Failed screen. Hopefully, Wi-Fi won't be an experimental feature by the time the new remote version is released, and if it is, we probably shouldn't recommend using it.
The connection pairing screen could simply read "Go to "Slide Show -> Impress Remote" in Impress and enter the code: <CODE>."

Looking forward to the implementation! :)

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 1:29 AM, Artur Dryomov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

This summer I am working on Android Impress Remote improvements.
UI and UX polishing is one of my primary goals. I prepared some mockups to show you main concepts.

It would be great to hear your opinions and suggestions.
If you do not want to flood discussion threads you can send me a private message.

Regards,
Artur.

Artur Dryomov Artur Dryomov

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Hi Mirek,

Thanks for your suggestions, they are really helpful!

Slides screen is the weakest part at moment as I mentioned at the wiki.

* I have to think about notes. They are necessary of course, but notes representation of the current app version has one trouble. When there are no notes for a slide user has half of the screen unused and empty. I thought about adding a tab for notes — something like Android272’s proposal at the wiki [1].
* I thought about using notifications for presentation timer, just like Google Music does [2]. I am not a big fan of additional widgets — it will be better to use as much as possible space for slides and do not produce a visual noise. So I have to think about as well.
* I will remember to add a slide position, thanks for the tip!

Regards,
Artur.

mirek2 mirek2

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Hi Artur,
I created a new whiteboard for the redesign: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Impress_remote_2 .
The scope is based on what you wrote. Feel free to edit it.

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 2:31 AM, Artur Dryomov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mirek,

Thanks for your suggestions, they are really helpful!

Slides screen is the weakest part at moment as I mentioned at the wiki.

* I have to think about notes. They are necessary of course, but notes representation of the current app version has one trouble. When there are no notes for a slide user has half of the screen unused and empty. I thought about adding a tab for notes — something like Android272’s proposal at the wiki [1].

Would it be possible to see if there are notes, and if there aren't, to just not show the note UI?

* I thought about using notifications for presentation timer, just like Google Music does [2]. I am not a big fan of additional widgets — it will be better to use as much as possible space for slides and do not produce a visual noise. So I have to think about as well.

The thing is, when presenting, it's useful to see the timer at all times, so that you can speed up or slow down based on how much time you have left. It's too distracting to have to pull down the notification shade, look for the LibO timer, and then pull it up again at times during the presentation
On the other hand, it's not very useful to see the presentation title, which is why the current implementation shows the timer instead of the title.

* I will remember to add a slide position, thanks for the tip!

Thanks!

[1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Meetings

Artur Dryomov Artur Dryomov

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Hi Mirek,

I created a new whiteboard for the redesign: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Impress_remote_2 .
The scope is based on what you wrote. Feel free to edit it.

Looks great, thanks!

Yep, looks promising. And it is also surprising how similar it is to my proposal after a half a year :-)
There is only one problem — such kind of interaction is not typical for Android.
The bottom bar should be shown if there are no space for buttons at a single action bar above [1].
The idea is pretty nice anyway and I like the direction.

Would it be possible to see if there are notes, and if there aren't, to just not show the note UI?

It is possible of course.

The thing is, when presenting, it's useful to see the timer at all times, so that you can speed up or slow down based on how much time you have left. It's too distracting to have to pull down the notification shade, look for the LibO timer, and then pull it up again at times during the presentation
On the other hand, it's not very useful to see the presentation title, which is why the current implementation shows the timer instead of the title.

You are right, notifications usage is not a solution even if it is possible to view a presentation time directly at the status bar.
If there will be a presentation time at the status bar it will be messy, because there will be this time on the left and the current time on the right.

There are three time variations at moment.
* The current time. It is useless and can be removed safely because the current time always visible at the status bar.
* The timer. It needs time setting before usage.
* The stopwatch. It needs to be started.

Plus some actions like restarting timer would be useful.
Sounds like a complex task but it should be as simple as possible for users.
Let me think about it, I have no nice ideas at moment.

Regards,
Artur.

mirek2 mirek2

[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Fwd: [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Hi again,

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 5:54 PM, Artur Dryomov <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yep, looks promising. And it is also surprising how similar it is to my proposal after a half a year :-)
There is only one problem — such kind of interaction is not typical for Android.
The bottom bar should be shown if there are no space for buttons at a single action bar above [1].
The idea is pretty nice anyway and I like the direction.

Perhaps just have a hide/show notes button in the action bar, then?

Artur Dryomov Artur Dryomov

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

> Perhaps just have a hide/show notes button in the action bar, then?

It is never too late to add another action bar button :-)

What do you think about showing notes below a slide — just like the current implementation — but keep a slide vertical centered?
This will solve a waste of space when there are no notes and will keep them visible if a presentation has them.
mirek2 mirek2

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 6:37 PM, Artur Dryomov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Perhaps just have a hide/show notes button in the action bar, then?

It is never too late to add another action bar button :-)

What do you think about showing notes below a slide — just like the current implementation — but keep a slide vertical centered?
This will solve a waste of space when there are no notes and will keep them visible if a presentation has them.

Notes below slide -- yes.
Vertically centered -- you mean something like in Astron's proposal? If so, then yes, I agree.
BTW, remember to keep landscape mode in mind as well. There, notes should probably be on the right-hand side.

Stefan Knorr Stefan Knorr

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Hi Artur, Mirek,

so, Artur, I don't quite understand why you find this slide-out from the
bottom so atypical. There are e.g. similar slide-outs in the
descriptions of applications on Google Play. Of course, they expand to
the bottom and not from it, and they are somewhere on a content page.
The Notes bar is not meant to be an action bar, really.

So, ... at the same time, I wonder: do we actually need a notes button?
How about always showing any notes when the phone is in portrait mode,
and never showing them when in landscape?

Possible considerations: at some later point, we will probably add
buttons to play animations (e.g. some people like to let their bullet
points fly in individually – not that this useless habit should be
supported ;) ) or videos (some people actually like to put two on a
slide).
Especially in the case of videos, we probably need some kind of side
pane/bottom pane where you can click to play. (So, it's off-slide.) So,
what I am thinking about here is putting tabs in the bottom pane (one
for Notes, one for Animation & Video). And it could be argued if the
animation tab weren't available in landscape mode that would hamper
usability. So... not sure ultimately.

On Mi, 2013-06-12 at 23:12 +0200, Mirek M. wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 6:37 PM, Artur Dryomov <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > > Perhaps just have a hide/show notes button in the action bar, then?
> >
> > It is never too late to add another action bar button :-)
> >
> > What do you think about showing notes below a slide — just like the
> > current implementation — but keep a slide vertical centered?
> > This will solve a waste of space when there are no notes and will keep
> > them visible if a presentation has them.

I think you will have to explain this a bit more...

> BTW, remember to keep landscape mode in mind as well. There, notes should
> probably be on the right-hand side.

Exactly, I had no solution for this in my (Astron's) original design.

Astron.

Artur Dryomov Artur Dryomov

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Hi Mirek,

> Notes below slide -- yes.
> Vertically centered -- you mean something like in Astron's proposal? If so, then yes, I agree.
> BTW, remember to keep landscape mode in mind as well. There, notes should probably be on the right-hand side.

Yep, I meant centering like my or Stefan’s proposals.
Stefan Knorr Stefan Knorr

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Hi Artur,

sorry for not replying sooner.

On 13 June 2013 14:42, Artur Dryomov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am not against it at all, I just didn’t see any examples really.
> It would be great if you’ll show some examples as Google Play applications.

I meant the actual Google Play Store application. See
  https://www.dailymailplus.co.uk/wp-content/themes/mailplus/content/help/android/01_app_description_on_play.jpg
for instance. At the end of the (shortened) What's New section, there
is a little expander arrow.

> No, we didn’t need it. Actually I prefer to add buttons to action bar only if it is really necessary.
> Most of Android phones in portrait mode can show only two action bar buttons.

Really? Is this an actual physical limitation or is that a part of the
HIG we/I are unaware of? (Links appreciated.)
Google's Action Bar description features an image of an Action Bar
with five elements, see [1].

> I can enforce the application to show more but the ideal case is two or three buttons.
>
>> How about always showing any notes when the phone is in portrait mode,
>> and never showing them when in landscape?
>
> As I said before it would be just a waste of space if there are no notes.
> I want to keep vertical centering as well (as you see at your and my proposals).

Sure, I agree – but suppose we have the case that there are notes: we
could use the device orientation to toggle their display.

> Yep, it is another problem — slides with transitions like animations or videos.
> It breaks swiping a bit — if user changes slides with swiping previews, slide changes without transitions.
> Maybe we should consider arrows instead of swiping. It would be something like your proposal.

Hm, I don't quite understand how animations/videos would break
swiping. My idea here (excuse the crude ASCII art) was to modify the
Notes bar like this:
---
[Action Bar]

 _______________________
|                       |
|         SLIDE         |
|                       |
|_______________________|

 ____________________
/ Notes \ Multimedia \  ^

[Android buttons]
---
(Try viewing it in a non-proportional font, like with Gmail's source view.)
So, basically, you'd have a second tab in the Notes bar that could be
used to play all manner of animations/video/sound.

On the topic of the arrows: I think they would be a good idea as a
backup/second, redundant way of doing things – there may be the one or
other user that doesn't immediately notice s/he needs to swipe to
advance to the next slide.

Btw, on the topic of swiping: The swiping thing is not bad, but (and
that imo is one of the app's biggest issues right now) it is by far
too easy to swipe across more than one slide. It would be far better
if one needed a particularly "violent" swipe to even advance by two
slides, or maybe if swiping only ever advanced one slide.

Astron.

[1] https://developer.android.com/design/patterns/actionbar.html
Artur Dryomov Artur Dryomov

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Hi Stefan,

I meant the actual Google Play Store application. See
 https://www.dailymailplus.co.uk/wp-content/themes/mailplus/content/help/android/01_app_description_on_play.jpg
for instance. At the end of the (shortened) What's New section, there
is a little expander arrow.

I see. It seems like a nice solution. The implementation could be tricky a bit, but I’m worry about will it be discoverable for users or not :-?

Really? Is this an actual physical limitation or is that a part of the
HIG we/I are unaware of? (Links appreciated.)
Google's Action Bar description features an image of an Action Bar
with five elements, see [1].

Such count really depends on device parameters. You can see a description right at the page you mentioned — look at the “Action Overflow” section. That’s why you see such elements count at images. It can be forced but not recommended, so the optimal count is two or three buttons users can see everywhere (I mean phones basically), others will be hidden via overflow menu. When device orientation changed the count increases but users use phones at a portrait orientation most of the time :-)

Sure, I agree – but suppose we have the case that there are notes: we
could use the device orientation to toggle their display.

I like iOS Keynote Remote app as well :-)

Hm, I don't quite understand how animations/videos would break
swiping.

On the topic of the arrows: I think they would be a good idea as a
backup/second, redundant way of doing things – there may be the one or
other user that doesn't immediately notice s/he needs to swipe to
advance to the next slide.

Btw, on the topic of swiping: The swiping thing is not bad, but (and
that imo is one of the app's biggest issues right now) it is by far
too easy to swipe across more than one slide. It would be far better
if one needed a particularly "violent" swipe to even advance by two
slides, or maybe if swiping only ever advanced one slide.

I didn’t test any audio or video slideshows so I cannot be sure how do they work. I’ll do it later, that part could be tricky…

Animations could be handled other way. What do you think if it will be implemented as the iOS Keynote app? I mean instead of previews of ready and set slides there will be previews of slides in the process of animation. If it will be done such way, animations could be controlled via swiping as well.

Example — a slide with three lines of text, every line appears after an animation.
1. LO — an empty slide, Android — an empty preview.
2. Android — swiping.
3. LO — the first line of text, Android — a preview with the first line of text.
4. Android — swiping.
5. LO — the second line of text, Android — a preview with the second line of text.
6. Etc.

And don’t worry about swiping sensibility — I’ll move from a custom coverflow widget to the native one [1], so it will be solved.

Regards,
Artur.

Artur Dryomov Artur Dryomov

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Hey Stefan,

I even found an ADIA episode about the Action Bar if you are interested.
You can just read slides [1] or watch it on YouTube [2].

Regards,
Artur.

Michael Meeks-2 Michael Meeks-2

On Tue, 2013-06-18 at 01:00 +0300, Artur Dryomov wrote:
> I didn’t test any audio or video slideshows so I cannot be sure how do
> they work. I’ll do it later, that part could be tricky…

        AFAIK they don't work ;-) or at least, I think streaming video to the
mobile device to play is likely to be ... somewhat difficult; clearly
having a keyframe and a start/stop/whatever widget would be awesome
though :-)

> And don’t worry about swiping sensibility — I’ll move from a custom
> coverflow widget to the native one [1], so it will be solved.
> [1]: http://developer.android.com/training/animation/screen-slide.html

        Interesting - I didn't realise that was there; what API version of
Android did that start in ? In general I'd like us to keep our base-line
at least at API 10 (Gingerbread):

        http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

        If it's in there - fine :-) and of course, looking forward to getting
rid of that coverflow - the physics there is really unpleasant when it
comes to presenting [ to the extent that I just use the volume keys
myself ;-].

        ATB,

                Michael.

Artur Dryomov Artur Dryomov

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Hi Michael,

AFAIK they don't work ;-) or at least, I think streaming video to the
mobile device to play is likely to be ... somewhat difficult; clearly
having a keyframe and a start/stop/whatever widget would be awesome
though :-)

That’s why it could be tricky ;-) I’ll look into it.

Interesting - I didn't realise that was there; what API version of
Android did that start in ? In general I'd like us to keep our base-line
at least at API 10 (Gingerbread).

It is a support library from the SDK, so it requires level 4 or higher [1].
Don’t worry, I always have compatibility in mind :-)

On Mon, 2013-06-10 at 02:29 +0300, Artur Dryomov wrote:
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Impress_remote#GSoC_2013_proposal
>
> It would be great to hear your opinions and suggestions.
> If you do not want to flood discussion threads you can send me a
> private message.

        I'm encouraged to see the discussion so far - great to have such timely
feedback: thanks Mirek, Astron & co.

        One thing that I (personally) as a user of the remote would like to do
is to re-focus the user-experience away from the unpleasant nastiness of
pairing, selecting computers etc. and towards usability ;-)

        When I get to present, the pairing is one of those things that slow me
down and frustrate me. Ideally I would do this once, ever - and
subsequently when I start the app - -iff- it detects my laptop it
auto-connects and we're good to go.

        IMHO the common experience is of having one laptop for several years,
and one phone for at least a year ;-) and presenting many many times. As
such - spending a lot of time making the pairing / computer selection UI
really sexy is (in my view) so much nearly wasted time.

        In contrast - adding code to allow secure detection of the remote host
and automatic connection would be way more awesome ;-) In my world the
automatic turning on of bluetooth would actually work in Android, I'd
start the app, it would spin 'connecting' for a couple of seconds - and
then I'd hit 'start' (or perhaps better - it might auto-start ;-)

        Oh - and thinking through / improving the UX of actual slide navigation
is rather needed ;-)

        Sorry for the rant - just based on seeing lots of screenshots of the
bits I don't care about and fundamentally don't want to see ;-)
Similarly this PIN transfer should be a one-time-ever event that sets up
a "really secure(TM)" authenticated connection - at least, if we can
make that fly with the libraries we have on the systems.

        ATB,

                Michael.

Artur Dryomov Artur Dryomov

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Hi Michael,

> One thing that I (personally) as a user of the remote would like to do
> is to re-focus the user-experience away from the unpleasant nastiness of
> pairing, selecting computers etc. and towards usability ;-)

I agree — the best interface is no interface. As known as “just works”.

We should consider other users who use many computers with LO and one remote and so on.
I got your point anyway :-) Pairing caching should be done and I thought it was already implemented actually, but I’ll look into it.
And don’t worry — I definitely don’t want to implement a huge wizard with options and other things ;-)

Thanks for the suggestions!

On Mon, 2013-06-24 at 19:12 +0300, Artur Dryomov wrote:
> I agree — the best interface is no interface. As known as “just works”.

        :-)

> We should consider other users who use many computers with LO and one
> remote and so on.

        Of course, it should be possible. Just as having 2x users using a
remote driving a single computer should be (and is now incidentally) -
but multiple laptops & one remote is a rather low-frequency use-case
[although with your work to pull / push files it may become more
common].

>  I got your point anyway :-) Pairing caching should be done and I
> thought it was already implemented actually, but I’ll look into it.

        Great news :-)

> And don’t worry — I definitely don’t want to implement a huge
> wizard with options and other things ;-)

        Heh; sure.

        Good work,

                Michael.

Artur Dryomov Artur Dryomov

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Hi All,

I have an idea about the application’s icon.

It would be great to have an icon which could be used as a colorful version for the launcher and as a monochrome version for the action bar. I mean behavior similar to Google Play Store [1].

The current version has different icons and I see no way to make the launcher icon monochrome :-? See attachments for examples.

Should I send this message to the design mailing list or even to concrete people? Please poke me if so ;-)

Regards,
Artur.

icon-action-bar.png (66K) Download Attachment
icon-launcher.png (315K) Download Attachment
mirek2 mirek2

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Hi Artur,
I tried my hand at making an icon: http://ubuntuone.com/4Aah05YM8g8J4wgrBngq3f. (The opacity is set to 100%, but it should display at 80% in the app.)

If you have possible improvements or just don't like it, feel free to reply on the design list.

How is the Remote app coming along, btw?