[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

12 « Prev
Artur Dryomov Artur Dryomov

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Hi Mirek,

Thank you for the icon, you got my point. Probably it is not enough to just monochrome the current launcher icon :-? It would be better to put the icon to the two-dimensional space — I mean make it completely flat. Other action bar icons are following this style as well as Google Play example.

Should I post a message to the design list now? :-)

The app is going well, all basic stuff was implemented, I hope to finish it next week. Let’s hope there will be no great troubles on the way.

Thanks!
Artur.
mirek2 mirek2

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Hi Artur,

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 10:52 PM, Artur Dryomov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mirek,

Thank you for the icon, you got my point. Probably it is not enough to just monochrome the current launcher icon :-? It would be better to put the icon to the two-dimensional space — I mean make it completely flat. Other action bar icons are following this style as well as Google Play example.

Should I post a message to the design list now? :-)

Please do make a design list thread, though. :)

The app is going well, all basic stuff was implemented, I hope to finish it next week. Let’s hope there will be no great troubles on the way.

Excellent!

Siqi, who is working on the iOS version, plans to add a pointer feature. Do you think you could duplicate that for the Android app, for the sake of consistency and feature parity?

Thanks!
Artur.

mirek2 mirek2

Michael Meeks-2 Michael Meeks-2

On Fri, 2013-07-19 at 01:48 +0200, Mirek M. wrote:
> Also, could you upload some screenshots of the current
> work-in-progress version?

        :-)

> I noticed that, in your mockups, it's not indicated that one has to
> swipe right/left to get to the next/previous slide. It'd be great if a
> little bit of the next/previous slide was shown at the right/left side
> to indicate that.

        Urgh; the windows phone 8 way of corrupting the screen with annoying
stuff you can't read on the side ? ;-) personally I hate that with a
loathing and a fear - it eats at my sub-clinical neurosis: "how can I
clean my display up not to have that cruft on it ?": do Android apps
generally do that ? also - most experienced presenters put no content at
all near the borders of their slides since many projectors generously
crop the top/bottom/left/right (and more ;-) - so we're talking about a
prolly block-colour rectangle there.

        But - clearly, I'm not a UI guy so ... is there not some other way we
can have some (only transient) annoyance to show people that they need
to swipe their slides across ? [ is that really un-discoverable ? ]

        ATB,

                Michael.

Artur Dryomov Artur Dryomov

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Hi Mirek,

Also, could you upload some screenshots of the current work-in-progress version?

Please consider that it is completely WIP, I’ll post a message here when a complete review will be necessary ;-)

Siqi, who is working on the iOS version, plans to add a pointer feature. Do you think you could duplicate that for the Android app, for the sake of consistency and feature parity?

Yep, of course. I just don’t want to create the UI which doesn’t rely on not-existent feature — pointer is not implemented at server-side yet.

Regards,
Artur.

Artur Dryomov Artur Dryomov

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Hey Mirek,

I tried the flat icon and it looks great! There is an attachment with the screenshot.

Thanks!
Artur.

flat-logo.png (66K) Download Attachment
mirek2 mirek2

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Hi Michael,

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Michael Meeks <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I noticed that, in your mockups, it's not indicated that one has to
> swipe right/left to get to the next/previous slide. It'd be great if a
> little bit of the next/previous slide was shown at the right/left side
> to indicate that.

        Urgh; the windows phone 8 way of corrupting the screen with annoying
stuff you can't read on the side ? ;-) personally I hate that with a
loathing and a fear - it eats at my sub-clinical neurosis: "how can I
clean my display up not to have that cruft on it ?": do Android apps
generally do that ? also - most experienced presenters put no content at
all near the borders of their slides since many projectors generously
crop the top/bottom/left/right (and more ;-) - so we're talking about a
prolly block-colour rectangle there.

        But - clearly, I'm not a UI guy so ... is there not some other way we
can have some (only transient) annoyance to show people that they need
to swipe their slides across ? [ is that really un-discoverable ? ]

Well, off the top of my head, when starting the presentation, the first slide could animate in from the right. That should hopefully get the point across without being annoying.

It's probably not a thing to worry about -- I think the Gallery works similarly. However, if it turns out that people have trouble with this anyway, there could be an animation hinting at what to do. (For example, if the user tries to tap to move to the next slide instead of swiping, the sllde could move a little bit to the left, revealing a sliver of the next slide, and then move back.)

mirek2 mirek2

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Hi Artur,

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Artur Dryomov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mirek,

Also, could you upload some screenshots of the current work-in-progress version?

Please consider that it is completely WIP, I’ll post a message here when a complete review will be necessary ;-)

Alright. I'll give my comments then.
On the whole, though, it seems excellent. I love how streamlined you managed to make it.

Siqi, who is working on the iOS version, plans to add a pointer feature. Do you think you could duplicate that for the Android app, for the sake of consistency and feature parity?

Yep, of course. I just don’t want to create the UI which doesn’t rely on not-existent feature — pointer is not implemented at server-side yet.

Ok.

Regards,
Artur.

Artur Dryomov Artur Dryomov

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Hi Mirek,

I updated screenshots and added a simple description of the UI [1].
Can you review it till the slide show section? I’m still thinking / working on timer and notes, but other parts are ready.
You can message me via IRC (nickname is ming13) if it will be better.

Regards,
Artur.

Artur Dryomov Artur Dryomov

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Hi Mirek,

I finished all main parts of the application this weekend, so it would be great if you could review the whole application ;-) I have updated screenshots.

Regards,
Artur.
mirek2 mirek2

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 3:21 AM, Artur Dryomov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mirek,

I finished all main parts of the application this weekend, so it would be great if you could review the whole application ;-) I have updated screenshots.

Great! I downloaded the APK from http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/master/Android-ARM@24-Bytemark-Hosting/current/ yesterday. I could only test this on a tablet I borrowed, I hope someone will test this on a phone as well.
Here are all the usability bugs I found:
1) When the app can't find any connections, it just shows a loading wheel. The user can't be sure whether the app is stuck or just searching for connections.
2) It might be helpful to tell the user how to connect, especially with the wifi connection.
3) What does the "Add Computer" button actually do? Is it for manually adding a computer when the automatic detection fails? Is it wifi-only? (If so, it should only appear on the WiFi tab.) This should be made clearer.
4) Rotating the device when on the code screen shouldn't cause a loading wheel to appear.
5) The animation between the slide view and the overview takes too long.
6) When accidentally exiting, reconnecting should be immediate.
7) I couldn't figure out how to set the timer.
8) Choosing a slide from the overview should automatically enter the Slide view at that slide.
9) If the presentation is not in Slide Show mode on the computer, the device should say so. In this case, it shouldn't show the Overview button and the action bar should read the name of the computer on which LibreOffice runs.
10) The slide size in the overview should be maximized.
11) Slides should occupy as much of the screen as possible. The shadow should surround to slide.
12) Tapping a slide should make the slide bounce a bit to the left and reveal a sliver of the next slide, to indicate that one should slide to move to the next slide, not tap.
13) If the slide advances on screen (not by using the remote, e.g. by mouse click or right/left arrows), it should advance on the remote as well.
14) Please highlight the current slide in the slide overview.
15) I wonder if the "spread out from center" animation when entering a subscreen is avoidable. A slide-in animation from the right would be preferable, given that the up button points left, indicating that the parent is on the left.
16) Some of the wording could be shorter. [1] "Name is optional" is preferable to "Name is optional -- IP address would be used instead if you wish." and the label should appear left-aligned right below the Name field, to show that it's related. Try "Type in a valid IP address." instead of "You should type a valid IP address."

Is the ability to use the volume buttons to advance slides gone? I can't find it anywhere... The same for blank screens.
I couldn't get Notes to appear. Also, rotating the device in presentation mode does nothing/causes a crash. And Bluetooth didn't work for me.
So all of these things I couldn't test.

Some things that should be added in the future, but are probably out of scope for this GSoC:
* Showing on-click elements when sliding to the next slide.
* Being able to tap on clickable areas on the slide.
* Showing a countdown, possibly below the slide, when the slide advances or when an object animates based on a preset timer.

I might have a few more comments and possibly screenshots later.

BTW, it would be great if you or anyone reading this could download the APK and try to let a non-techy friend figure out how to use the device without helping them in any way. (If they can't figure it out, if it takes them too long, or if they're annoyed by how the app works, then that should be fixed.)

Artur Dryomov Artur Dryomov

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Hi Mirek,

This is a huge list ;-) Do you mind if we’ll move the conversation from the mailing list to a private mail? We’ll just spam the mailing list with replies about bugs and design features ;-)

Regards,
Artur.
12 « Prev