[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Headers / footers / page break indicators & read-only documents

Jan Holesovsky Jan Holesovsky

[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Headers / footers / page break indicators & read-only documents

Hi UX guys,

Recently I opened a read-only document (the License information of LO
via Help -> Information about License... -> [Show License]), and while
reading that, few times the headers / footers indicators appeared.

We discussed it with Cedric, and we cannot agree whether to show them or
not for read-only documents ;-) - my view is that when you cannot do
anything with the controls anyway, don't show them [contrary to eg. the
links that you still can use to navigate the document], while Cedric
argues that it is also a formatting hint.

My proposal is to show the page break dashed line even in the read-only
mode, but no indicator when you put mouse over that.  Regarding
headers / footers, don't show anything when you put mouse over the
header / footer area at all.

What do you think?

Thank you,
Kendy

Stefan Knorr (Astron) Stefan Knorr (Astron)

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Headers / footers / page break indicators & read-only documents

Hi Kendy,

> We discussed it with Cedric, and we cannot agree whether to show them or
> not for read-only documents ;-) - my view is that when you cannot do
> anything with the controls anyway, don't show them [contrary to eg. the
> links that you still can use to navigate the document], while Cedric
> argues that it is also a formatting hint.
>
> My proposal is to show the page break dashed line even in the read-only
> mode, but no indicator when you put mouse over that.  Regarding
> headers / footers, don't show anything when you put mouse over the
> header / footer area at all.
>
> What do you think?

My opinion is that in read-only mode, LibO should feel as much as a
PDF reader as possible to avoid annoying the user while e.g.
proof-reading his own document or just reading someone else's
document.
Also, note that we don't show the Formatting toolbar (by default) in
read-only mode. We also don't show "invisible" cell borders, etc. So,
from my perspective, the point about this being a formatting hint
isn't really a good one.
So, basically, I'd go even further than you and say that _none_ of the
new indicators need to be visible in r-o mode.

Regards,
Astron.
Michael Meeks-2 Michael Meeks-2

On Wed, 2012-02-01 at 08:41 +0100, Stefan Knorr (Astron) wrote:
> My opinion is that in read-only mode, LibO should feel as much as a
> PDF reader as possible to avoid annoying the user while e.g.
> proof-reading his own document or just reading someone else's
> document.

        I hate plus-ones; but this is mine :-) It's a cool new feature, but we
should avoid getting too seduced by the joys of showing it
everywhere ;-)

        All the best,

                Michael.

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Headers / footers / page break indicators & read-only documents

Hi all,
I totally share the view by Michael and Astron to avoid showing these markers in read-only mode. Although LibO's behavior is not optimized for just consuming content but editing it, the missing indicators are also some clue that the document cannot be edited.

Thanks for asking for thoughts on ux-discuss... :-)

Cheers,
Christoph
--
Sent via mobile...

Michael Meeks <[hidden email]> schrieb:

On Wed, 2012-02-01 at 08:41 +0100, Stefan Knorr (Astron) wrote:
> My opinion is that in read-only mode, LibO should feel as much as a
> PDF reader as possible to avoid annoying the user while e.g.
> proof-reading his own document or just reading someone else's
> document.

I hate plus-ones; but this is mine :-) It's a cool new feature, but we
should avoid getting too seduced by the joys of showing it
everywhere ;-)

All the best,

Michael.

--
[hidden email] <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot