[Libreoffice-ux-advise] New Math featire: Auto closing brackets and more

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Marcos Paulo de souza Marcos Paulo de souza
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Libreoffice-ux-advise] New Math featire: Auto closing brackets and more

Hi UX guys!

Michaels Meeks pushed now I changed that I did about the auto closing
brackets, parenthesis and braces.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=d12980ce0b86549028ddaac3192f14456dde25c6

What do you think about it? Do you agree with the implementation of this
feature, or maybe this can be done in a better way?

Thanks since now!
_______________________________________________
Libreoffice-ux-advise mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-ux-advise
Marcos Paulo de souza Marcos Paulo de souza
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] New Math featire: Auto closing brackets and more

Sorry, Just putting M Meeks in CC.

Em 06/26/2013 09:14 AM, Marcos Souza escreveu:

> Hi UX guys!
>
> Michaels Meeks pushed now I changed that I did about the auto closing
> brackets, parenthesis and braces.
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=d12980ce0b86549028ddaac3192f14456dde25c6 
>
>
> What do you think about it? Do you agree with the implementation of
> this feature, or maybe this can be done in a better way?
>
> Thanks since now!

_______________________________________________
Libreoffice-ux-advise mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-ux-advise
JorenDC JorenDC
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] New Math featire: Auto closing brackets and more

In reply to this post by Marcos Paulo de souza
Op 26/06/13 14:14, Marcos Souza schreef:

> Hi UX guys!
>
> Michaels Meeks pushed now I changed that I did about the auto closing
> brackets, parenthesis and braces.
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=d12980ce0b86549028ddaac3192f14456dde25c6
>
>
> What do you think about it? Do you agree with the implementation of
> this feature, or maybe this can be done in a better way?
I really love this feature. I see there is in Math not a Writer feature
like 'autocorrection' or options related to that. Maybe one improvement
can be made to add an option to Tools > Options > LibreOffice Math  so
you can disable this feature if necessary.

Thank you very much for this improvement! Really appreciated :)

Kind regards,
Joren
_______________________________________________
Libreoffice-ux-advise mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-ux-advise
Fitoschido Fitoschido
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] New Math featire: Auto closing brackets and more

In reply to this post by Marcos Paulo de souza
On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Marcos Souza
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi UX guys!
>
> Michaels Meeks pushed now I changed that I did about the auto closing
> brackets, parenthesis and braces.

Oh, this is lovely! Thanks so much, Marcos and Michael! Are we too
late to include the change in 4.1?

--
Adolfo
_______________________________________________
Libreoffice-ux-advise mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-ux-advise
Michael Meeks-2 Michael Meeks-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] New Math featire: Auto closing brackets and more


On Wed, 2013-06-26 at 13:32 +0000, Adolfo Jayme Barrientos wrote:
> > Michaels Meeks pushed now I changed that I did about the auto closing
> > brackets, parenthesis and braces.
>
> Oh, this is lovely! Thanks so much, Marcos and Michael! Are we too
> late to include the change in 4.1?

        No reason why not if it has tripple review anything can get past the
feature freeze: *But* ... I'm particularly concerned wrt. this one.

        I'd like to be sure there are not problematic user interactions with it
- in particular editing existing large / complex formulae etc. If
someone who actively edits formulae a lot is happy with it and has spent
a good while using it - then from a code perspective at least it's not a
difficult fix to include :-)

        HTH,

                Michael.

--
[hidden email]  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot

_______________________________________________
Libreoffice-ux-advise mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-ux-advise
Stefan Knorr Stefan Knorr
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] New Math featire: Auto closing brackets and more

In reply to this post by JorenDC
Hi Marcos,

I concur – looks really useful to me. Is it worth thinking about adding various
quotes (" “ « » „ ” › ‹) to the routine, or does that make little sense in Math?
(Though, do not that quotes are highly language specific & might make more work
than they do good anyway.)

Astron.
_______________________________________________
Libreoffice-ux-advise mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-ux-advise
Marcos Paulo de souza Marcos Paulo de souza
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] New Math featire: Auto closing brackets and more

Hi Astron!

For me it makes sense, and it could be very easy to add to current Math
code!

So, let's wait for the other UX guys to say their opinions?

Em 06/27/2013 11:25 AM, Stefan Knorr escreveu:
> Hi Marcos,
>
> I concur – looks really useful to me. Is it worth thinking about adding various
> quotes (" “ « » „ ” › ‹) to the routine, or does that make little sense in Math?
> (Though, do not that quotes are highly language specific & might make more work
> than they do good anyway.)
>
> Astron.

_______________________________________________
Libreoffice-ux-advise mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-ux-advise
Stefan Knorr Stefan Knorr
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] New Math featire: Auto closing brackets and more

Hi Marcos, all,

On 27 June 2013 16:27, Marcos Souza <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So, let's wait for the other UX guys to say their opinions?

The issue is that I am not a big user of Math myself – that's why I think you
should be a bit careful with my opinion here. :) So, yes.

In any case, you should be very careful with adding completion for single quotes
(') as those are often enough meant to be apostrophes.

Also looking at the patch again – do we have to consider any localisation
context?
E.g. Arabic uses right-to-left text, so the bracket typed first would probably
be ")". (Again, I haven't much of an idea what I am talking about here – I've
never tried using the math entry field in Arabic.)


Stefan.
_______________________________________________
Libreoffice-ux-advise mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-ux-advise
Marcos Paulo de souza Marcos Paulo de souza
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] New Math featire: Auto closing brackets and more

Hi Astron,

Em 06/27/2013 11:59 AM, Stefan Knorr escreveu:
> Hi Marcos, all,
>
> On 27 June 2013 16:27, Marcos Souza <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> So, let's wait for the other UX guys to say their opinions?
> The issue is that I am not a big user of Math myself – that's why I think you
> should be a bit careful with my opinion here. :) So, yes.

I'm not a big user too :) But, thinking about an "IDE" maybe this can be
helpful for users to auto close quotes.

>
> In any case, you should be very careful with adding completion for single quotes
> (') as those are often enough meant to be apostrophes.
Hum, yeah, you're right. Maybe we need to check the next character to
see if the intention is to make an apostrophe or a single quote
>
> Also looking at the patch again – do we have to consider any localisation
> context?
> E.g. Arabic uses right-to-left text, so the bracket typed first would probably
> be ")". (Again, I haven't much of an idea what I am talking about here – I've
> never tried using the math entry field in Arabic.)

I believe the current Math implementation don't care about RTL... but we
can change this in near (maybe in a few time). I think the guys who use
LO in RTL mode will be happy with this :)

>
>
> Stefan.
Astron, thanks a lot for your questions and answers! Maybe we can have a
better Math in few time!
_______________________________________________
Libreoffice-ux-advise mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/libreoffice-ux-advise