[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Remove outdated Gallery images

Samuel Mehrbrodt-2 Samuel Mehrbrodt-2

[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Remove outdated Gallery images

Hi,

I created a patch that removes the outdated Gallery images:
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/4993
Now there were some objections because of breaking old documents (when
people have linked content from the gallery into their documents).
Also I removed the bullets which are used in the "Bullets and Numbering"
dialog.

You can some opinions on the thread on the Dev list here:
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Comment-on-patch-quot-Remove-old-outdated-gallery-images-and-sounds-quot-td4066477.html

Now the questions are:
- Is it ok to break old documents by removing these images from the
galleries?
- Do we also want to remove the sounds?
- Do we also want to remove the whole "Graphical bullets" feature?

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks
Samuel
Fitoschido Fitoschido

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Remove outdated Gallery images

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 3:30 PM, Samuel Mehrbrodt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Now the questions are:
> - Is it ok to break old documents by removing these images from the
> galleries?
> - Do we also want to remove the sounds?
> - Do we also want to remove the whole "Graphical bullets" feature?
>
> Please share your thoughts.

I would say that unless we have new content to replace the old, we
should not just remove it all for the sake of doing it.
Samuel Mehrbrodt-2 Samuel Mehrbrodt-2

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Remove outdated Gallery images

There is new Content (from Symphony):
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/4.1#Other

Am 24.07.2013 22:48, schrieb Adolfo Jayme Barrientos:
> I would say that unless we have new content to replace the old, we
> should not just remove it all for the sake of doing it.

mirek2 mirek2

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Remove outdated Gallery images

Hi Samuel,

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:30 PM, Samuel Mehrbrodt <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I created a patch that removes the outdated Gallery images: https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/4993
Now there were some objections because of breaking old documents (when people have linked content from the gallery into their documents).

Could you remove the GUI for linking Gallery images? (I notice that the choice is presented via a right-click menu and in the "Bullets and Numbering" dialog, but perhaps there are other choices?)
Documents should never rely on stuff shipped with LibreOffice. If they do, the user will sooner or later be stuck on an outdated version of LibreOffice.

Also I removed the bullets which are used in the "Bullets and Numbering" dialog.

You can some opinions on the thread on the Dev list here: http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Comment-on-patch-quot-Remove-old-outdated-gallery-images-and-sounds-quot-td4066477.html

Now the questions are:
- Is it ok to break old documents by removing these images from the galleries?

Yes, but it might be good to provide an option to get the graphics via an extension. Would that be possible?

- Do we also want to remove the sounds?

I would say yes, but again, would be good to have an extension to bring them back for those who unwisely linked them.

- Do we also want to remove the whole "Graphical bullets" feature?

No. I can imagine graphical bullets being useful [1], but it'd be good to have a GUI for importing them. A simple "Add..." button in the Graphic bullets section in LibreOffice would suffice.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks
Samuel

[1] Here's someone asking how to import their own bullets: http://en.libreofficeforum.org/node/2280

Samuel Mehrbrodt-2 Samuel Mehrbrodt-2

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Remove outdated Gallery images

Hi,

thanks for your comments. I'll remove the options to link gallery images and also try to build an extension.

I think I'll then leave the bullets there until they are replaced by some up-to-date ones.

For the "Add" button in the bullets and numbering dialog, we could make an easy hack out of that. But the question then is, are these images stored globally or only for the current document?

Samuel

mirek2 mirek2

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 1:38 PM, Samuel Mehrbrodt <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

thanks for your comments. I'll remove the options to link gallery images and also try to build an extension.

I think I'll then leave the bullets there until they are replaced by some up-to-date ones.

For the "Add" button in the bullets and numbering dialog, we could make an easy hack out of that. But the question then is, are these images stored globally or only for the current document?

Ideally, there should be a "LibreOffice Bullets" section with the globally-stored bullets and a "Document Bullets" section below with all the bullets present in the document except those shipped by default.
Instead of an "Add" button, it should be a "Custom graphic..." button, which would add the bullet to the "Document Bullets" section.

Samuel