[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Startcenter greeting text

Bjoern Michaelsen Bjoern Michaelsen

[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Startcenter greeting text

Hi,

the startcenter currently (beta1) says:

 "Welcome! You can open or create a new document!"

are there plans to improve this somehow still? This is the new face of
LibreOffice? From the top of my head:

- Two exclamation marks arent good
- "You can open or create a new document" is:
  - a tautology mostly here
  - and doesnt say _how_ in addition, which might be helpful, given that a user
    might be surprised by the changes
 - nothing in the startcenter names the product at all

So if this hasnt been discussed yet, Id suggest to at least make that simply:

 "Welcome to LibreOffice!"

pending a better proposal.

Best,

Bjoern
Bjoern Michaelsen Bjoern Michaelsen

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Startcenter greeting text

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 01:37:12PM +0100, bjoern wrote:
> are there plans to improve this somehow still? This is the new face of
> LibreOffice? From the top of my head:

Whops, that was an editing fail. The second question mark was intended to be
one. Unfortunately this makes the whole sentence look like an rhetoric rant,
which was not my intention at all.

Best,

Bjoern
Olivier Hallot Olivier Hallot

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Startcenter greeting text

Stefan Knorr Stefan Knorr

On Fr, 2013-11-22 at 13:37 +0100, bjoern wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the startcenter currently (beta1) says:
>
>  "Welcome! You can open or create a new document!"
>
> are there plans to improve this somehow still? This is the new face of
> LibreOffice?

Indeed, I liked the wording from the (my/shameless plug) mockup better:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87946285/libreoffice/startcenter/startcen-empty.html

Of course, it doesn't try to welcome people to LibreOffice – not
entirely sure if that is necessary though. (I'd hope they still know
what software they started ten seconds ago.)

Astron.

Fitoschido Fitoschido

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Startcenter greeting text

I concur with what Björn and Olivier both said.

The main call-to-action text is too childish and too informal. Too
elementaryOS-y. I would suggest something like: “Hey, wazzup, bro/gal?
Let’s work on this s...” OK, no ;-)

My *real* suggestion is:

“Open a document by dragging it to this area, or create one by
choosing an option from the left side.”

It says how to do things, and drops the cheesy welcoming and
unnecessary exclamation marks.

Also, having the word “New…” repeated in all the options is so
redundant. There’s a text over the buttons saying “Create”. Isn’t that
enoght for the user to know that these buttons will *create* an
(obviously new, otherwise you wouldn’t be *creating* one) document?

Let’s drop the “New”, “New”, “New”, “New”, “New”, “New” from the
buttons. That way we also save space when the buttons are translated.

Jean-Francois Nifenecker Jean-Francois Nifenecker

Le 23/11/2013 11:48, Adolfo Jayme Barrientos a écrit :
> I concur with what Björn and Olivier both said.

+1

> Also, having the word “New…” repeated in all the options is so
> redundant. There’s a text over the buttons saying “Create”. Isn’t that
> enoght for the user to know that these buttons will *create* an
> (obviously new, otherwise you wouldn’t be *creating* one) document?
>
> Let’s drop the “New”, “New”, “New”, “New”, “New”, “New” from the
> buttons. That way we also save space when the buttons are translated.

Sure. I've been asking for that repeatedly on various threads here.

As for these "New Thingy" buttons, I've already stated that (apart from
the "New" word) "New Document" is not appropriate IMO. From what I can
see and hear from users around me, it's not clear to them what a "New
Doument" or a "New Spreadsheet" is. The icon is not sufficient (hey, who
on earth actually looks at icons?). This leads me to suggest: "New
Writer Document", or better, "Writer Text" (and so on: Calc Spreadsheet,
Impress Presentation...).
The module name *has* to be visible. Moreover this is consistent with
the OS startup menu.

As for the "Writer Document", I don't like the "document" word because
the suite does just that: documents, whatever the module used. Writer
creates *text* documents, Calc generates *spreadsheet* documents, etc.
Hence, "Writer Text" seems much more appropriate.

My 2 euro-cents,
--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 03:31:30AM +0100, Stefan Knorr wrote:
> Indeed, I liked the wording from the (my/shameless plug) mockup better:
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87946285/libreoffice/startcenter/startcen-empty.html

Looks good. I like it.

> Of course, it doesn't try to welcome people to LibreOffice – not
> entirely sure if that is necessary though. (I'd hope they still know
> what software they started ten seconds ago.)

Well, I kind of like that there is the Logo on the huge whitespace in the beta1
and would like to have "LibreOffice" written somewhere next to it. Combining both would be:

"""
<logo>
Welcome to LibreOffice!

No recently opened files
Use sidebar to open or create files
"""

Note that its also possible that LibreOffice gets started by some other
application (altough that usually also opens a file), so I wouldnt count on
"knows what software they started ..." in all cases.

Best,

Bjoern