[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Use of Navigation Toolbar

Samuel Mehrbrodt-2 Samuel Mehrbrodt-2

[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Use of Navigation Toolbar

Hi,

in Writer there is a "Navigation" toolbar at View->Toolbars->Navigation.
I first thought, it has the same function as the "Previous" and "Next"
buttons in the Navigator, but this is not the case.

I don't really understand what these buttons do. The source code looks
like it is some kind of history navigation.

Does anyone know what the use that toolbar is?

Samuel
Regina Henschel Regina Henschel

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Use of Navigation Toolbar

Hi Samuel,

Samuel Mehrbrodt schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> in Writer there is a "Navigation" toolbar at View->Toolbars->Navigation.
> I first thought, it has the same function as the "Previous" and "Next"
> buttons in the Navigator, but this is not the case.
>
> I don't really understand what these buttons do. The source code looks
> like it is some kind of history navigation.
>
> Does anyone know what the use that toolbar is?

Yes, they allow moving through the history of document intern hyperlinks
like those buttons in browsers. It is from the category "Internal",
which is unique to LibreOffice. It looks like an unfinished feature. It
has no extended tips.

Kind regards
Regina

Samuel Mehrbrodt-2 Samuel Mehrbrodt-2

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Use of Navigation Toolbar

Hi Regina,

thanks for explaining.
So what should we do about this one?
There's no documentation how to use it and I also find the name of the
toolbar very confusing. It reminds me of the Navigator.

Samuel

Am 04.12.2013 17:38, schrieb Regina Henschel:

> Hi Samuel,
>
> Samuel Mehrbrodt schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> in Writer there is a "Navigation" toolbar at View->Toolbars->Navigation.
>> I first thought, it has the same function as the "Previous" and "Next"
>> buttons in the Navigator, but this is not the case.
>>
>> I don't really understand what these buttons do. The source code looks
>> like it is some kind of history navigation.
>>
>> Does anyone know what the use that toolbar is?
>
> Yes, they allow moving through the history of document intern
> hyperlinks like those buttons in browsers. It is from the category
> "Internal", which is unique to LibreOffice. It looks like an
> unfinished feature. It has no extended tips.
>
> Kind regards
> Regina

Heiko Tietze Heiko Tietze

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Use of Navigation Toolbar

What's about ‘Show Document Structure'? Read http://user-prompt.com/where-does-the-navigator-lead-you/ for more information on this issue.
Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Use of Navigation Toolbar

Samuel Mehrbrodt wrote (05-12-13 09:42)

> So what should we do about this one?
> There's no documentation how to use it and I also find the name of the
> toolbar very confusing. It reminds me of the Navigator.

I disagree with the latter ;) - as explained those are used.
But for the Navigation Toolbar: I've never seen any use of it (which
does nos say everything, but still..). Maybe it's a remainder from the
time that StarOffice had some integrated desktop and such??

 - Cor Nouws
 - http://nl.libreoffice.org

Am 10.12.2013 08:16, schrieb Cor Nouws:
> I disagree with the latter ;) - as explained those are used.
I didn't want to say that the Navigator is undocumented and confusing. I
wanted to say that I first thought the Navigation toolbar has something
to do with the Navigator. That was confusing to me.
> But for the Navigation Toolbar: I've never seen any use of it (which
> does nos say everything, but still..). Maybe it's a remainder from the
> time that StarOffice had some integrated desktop and such?? Cheers,
Maybe? If I was to decide, I would remove this. But I know there are
other opinions, so I don't want to take any action here unless there are
no voices against this.

Samel
pierre-yves samyn pierre-yves samyn

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Use of Navigation Toolbar

Hi

> Message du 10/12/13 09:43
> > But for the Navigation Toolbar: I've never seen any use of it (which
> > does nos say everything, but still..). Maybe it's a remainder from the
> > time that StarOffice had some integrated desktop and such?? Cheers,
> Maybe? If I was to decide, I would remove this. But I know there are
> other opinions, so I don't want to take any action here unless there are
> no voices against this.

I remembered this bar was introduced in version 3.4.1.
I had tested and had recovered two bugs (fdo#38436 & fdo#38433).

The problem was already, at the time, the lack of documentation and
specifications making it difficult to test.

It seems to me that Rainer had raised the issue on lists (dev?): no answer...

AFAIK this bar is not used.

I would remind  that my proposal to remove the navigation buttons of
the vertical scroll bar was to replace this currently unused bar.

Sorry, I missed the survey (no connection during this period).
I'm just a little disappointed because today's questions about this bar
show that my proposal had not been fully studied... It does not matter
since it seems that a majority has been found.

Regards
Pierre-Yves

Am 10.12.2013 11:01, schrieb [hidden email]:

Sorry, I missed the survey (no connection during this period).
I'm just a little disappointed because today's questions about this bar
show that my proposal had not been fully studied... It does not matter
since it seems that a majority has been found.
Well, your proposal to create a new toolbar was also in the Survey.

Concerning the "History" feature you suggest to remove the toolbar and add History navigation as  another option to the Navigation floating window, right?

Well, that would make some sense. Better than leave it where it is IMO.

pierre-yves samyn pierre-yves samyn

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Use of Navigation Toolbar

> Message du 10/12/13 17:12
> De : "Samuel Mehrbrodt"
> Well, your proposal to create a new toolbar was also in the Survey.

Yes, and I thank you. I just wanted to apologize for not being able to vote while everything was set up ...

> Concerning the "History" feature you suggest to remove the toolbar and add
> History navigation as  another option to the Navigation floating window, right?

Right :)

Regards
Pierre-Yves
Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Use of Navigation Toolbar

Samuel Mehrbrodt wrote (10-12-13 09:43)

> I didn't want to say that the Navigator is undocumented and confusing. I
> wanted to say that I first thought the Navigation toolbar has something
> to do with the Navigator. That was confusing to me.

OK, thanks for clarifying :)
Misunderstanding pops up so easy ;)

> Maybe? If I was to decide, I would remove this. But I know there are
> other opinions, so I don't want to take any action here unless there are
> no voices against this.
You may have noticed that in general I'm quite conservative in removing
stuff :)
In this case... I would say wait a little longer and then cut it off.
On the other hand, the option to jump from one hyperlink to another
one,is something that one would expect in the navigation button/panel.
But it's not in there... Strange.

--
 - Cor Nouws
 - http://nl.libreoffice.org
Samuel Mehrbrodt-2 Samuel Mehrbrodt-2

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Use of Navigation Toolbar

Hi,

it's been some time since this discussion, but now I would have some
time to get this done.
So can we agree to remove the history navigation toolbar completely?

Samuel