[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Vertical text alignment for frames

Tamas Zolnai Tamas Zolnai

[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Vertical text alignment for frames

Hi there,

I'm working on a new feature and I'd like to ask for some advise about the UI part. The feature I'm speaking about is text vertical alignment for frames (Insert -> Frame). This text alignment works for drawing elements (shapes, text boxes) and for table cells, but not for frames.

I think we can use the same combo box which we use for table  (Table context menu -> Table -> Text flow -> Alignment). I see two places where it can be added:
    1. In Frame dialog -> Type tab: http://people.inf.elte.hu/zotsaai/type.png
    2. In Frame dialog -> Options tab: http://people.inf.elte.hu/zotsaai/option.png

I changed the label from "Alignment" to "Text alignment" because it can be ambiguous in the new context.

So I have these ideas, but I need ux guys' suggestions for final decision.

Thanks
Tamás

Adolfo Jayme Barrientos-3 Adolfo Jayme Barrientos-3

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] Vertical text alignment for frames

On 2/27/14, Tamas Zolnai <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think we can use the same combo box which we use for table  (Table context
> menu -> Table -> Text flow -> Alignment). I see two places where it can be
> added:
>     1. In Frame dialog -> Type tab:
> http://people.inf.elte.hu/zotsaai/type.png
>     2. In Frame dialog -> Options tab:
> http://people.inf.elte.hu/zotsaai/option.png
>
> I changed the label from "Alignment" to "Text alignment" because it can be
> ambiguous in the new context.
>
> So I have these ideas, but I need ux guys' suggestions for final decision.

Hi Tamás,

by quickly looking at your first screenshot I would suggest that the
added section and combobox is placed in the right side, to take
advantage of the empty space there and avoid adding unnecessary
vertical space to the whole dialog. Cheers!

--
Adolfo
Tamas Zolnai Tamas Zolnai

On Friday, February 28, 2014 06:15 GMT, Adolfo Jayme Barrientos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/27/14, Tamas Zolnai <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I think we can use the same combo box which we use for table  (Table context
> > menu -> Table -> Text flow -> Alignment). I see two places where it can be
> > added:
> >     1. In Frame dialog -> Type tab:
> > http://people.inf.elte.hu/zotsaai/type.png
> >     2. In Frame dialog -> Options tab:
> > http://people.inf.elte.hu/zotsaai/option.png
> >
> > I changed the label from "Alignment" to "Text alignment" because it can be
> > ambiguous in the new context.
> >
> > So I have these ideas, but I need ux guys' suggestions for final decision.
>
> Hi Tamás,
>
> by quickly looking at your first screenshot I would suggest that the
> added section and combobox is placed in the right side, to take
> advantage of the empty space there and avoid adding unnecessary
> vertical space to the whole dialog. Cheers!

Hi Adolfo,

Thanks, I followed your suggestion and placed the combobox to the right side:
http://people.inf.elte.hu/zotsaai/contentalignment.png
I use "Content alignment" instead of "Text alignment" because it also affects
tables and other objects anchored inside the frame (other frames, drawings or graphics).
I pushed this version to the master, so it can be tested. If you have any other
suggestions please don't hesitate to share them with me.

Thanks,
Tamás