[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [Writer] Header/footer deletion from the UI

Jean-Francois Nifenecker Jean-Francois Nifenecker

[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [Writer] Header/footer deletion from the UI

Hello,

(not sure whether this goes to design or ux, so I'm flooding both :)

LibO version 3.6.4.0+ (Build ID: 2f42a6c)
Xubuntu 12.04

Writer interface - Using the header (resp. footer) option in the UI

If I ask to delete an existing header using the "Header" button, I'm
receiving a confirmation dialog informing that the header contents will
be lost.

I feel that this behaviour is interfeering with the user workflow. IMO,
the header deletion should be immediate (if the users asks for that, of
course he knows that the contents will disappear!) so that the user can
continue working on his document. But, of course, this operation should
be undoable (which it is not currently).

Thanks for your comments,
--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux
Fitoschido Fitoschido

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [Writer] Header/footer deletion from the UI

I agree, the deletion alert is unnecessary. If the user wants to
recover the header, they should be able to do so by using the “Undo”
functionality.

mirek2 mirek2

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Jean-Francois Nifenecker <[hidden email]> wrote:
If I ask to delete an existing header using the "Header" button, I'm receiving a confirmation dialog informing that the header contents will be lost.

I feel that this behaviour is interfeering with the user workflow. IMO, the header deletion should be immediate (if the users asks for that, of course he knows that the contents will disappear!) so that the user can continue working on his document. But, of course, this operation should be undoable (which it is not currently).

+1
Anyone want to work on making header/footer deletion undoable?

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [libreoffice-design] Re: [Writer] Header/footer deletion from the UI

Hi everyone!

Am Sonntag, den 28.10.2012, 02:34 -0600 schrieb Adolfo Jayme Barrientos:
> I agree, the deletion alert is unnecessary. If the user wants to
> recover the header, they should be able to do so by using the “Undo”
> functionality.

Yes, but it has been kept, because a major problem hasn't been solved
since years ... please see:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboard/Writer_SpecialIndicators#Known_Issues

If anybody could adress this issue first, that would be great!

Kind regards,
Christoph

Cedric Bosdonnat Cedric Bosdonnat

On Sun, 2012-10-28 at 10:25 +0100, Mirek M. wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Jean-Francois Nifenecker
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         If I ask to delete an existing header using the "Header"
>         button, I'm receiving a confirmation dialog informing that the
>         header contents will be lost.
>
>         I feel that this behaviour is interfeering with the user
>         workflow. IMO, the header deletion should be immediate (if the
>         users asks for that, of course he knows that the contents will
>         disappear!) so that the user can continue working on his
>         document. But, of course, this operation should be undoable
>         (which it is not currently).
>

> +1
> Anyone want to work on making header/footer deletion undoable?

It's a known problem, on some mental todo-list for me... but not with
high priority ATM.

IIRC, removing that dialog is only a boolean parameter to change to a
function call... so the hardest is the undo/redo.

--
Cedric

Le 29/10/2012 09:36, Cedric Bosdonnat a écrit :

> It's a known problem, on some mental todo-list for me... but not with
> high priority ATM.
>
> IIRC, removing that dialog is only a boolean parameter to change to a
> function call... so the hardest is the undo/redo.

I guessed so. The undo thingy is the core of the question.

--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux