[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [sdremote] Version / License dialog needed?

Christian Lohmaier-3 Christian Lohmaier-3

[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [sdremote] Version / License dialog needed?

Hi *,

https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/gitweb?p=impress_remote.git;a=commitdiff;h=39e87c0f5ee87f79805cf71be19a0d9ceae2d404

removed the dialog that showed the version and the license of the
Impress Remote.

I wonder whether users need a way to identify the exact version they
have installed for reporting bugs or similar from the App itself, or
whether going to the system's "manage apps" list is enough.

ciao
Christian
Artur Dryomov Artur Dryomov

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [sdremote] Version / License dialog needed?

Hi,

As I mentioned at the commit message the idea of this screen wast to mention used libraries licenses. As we have no used libraries, only Google-provided ones, it became unnecessary. And yes, I think version information from applications list is enough. Plus, if there is any crash or ANR or user just left review Google Play developer console shows applications’s version as well. So this screen became completely useless and was removed.

Regards,
Artur.

Stefan Knorr Stefan Knorr

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [sdremote] Version / License dialog needed?

Artur Dryomov Artur Dryomov

Re: [Libreoffice-ux-advise] [sdremote] Version / License dialog needed?

Hi Stefan,

> + People don't always think of looking elsewhere first, they will
>  probably look at the application itself first. Also, maybe they
>  didn't get the Remote from the Play Store but from another source
>  where version numbers aren't displayed clearly. Or maybe they
>  sideloaded it and deleted the original APK file.

Version information always available at the Android Settings, no matter what is source of the APK. I am not a big fan of duplicating already available information, even if user should click two times more: «Menu → About» vs «Home → Settings → Applications → Remote».

Even if everyone is really about adding this information there is no talk about «Licenses» anymore, it is about version information which is placed at application settings usually — yep, it is confusing.

> + How about listing contributors? The remote is an open-source project
>  like the rest of LibreOffice and for enough people it is probably an
>  important motivator to be able to say "look here, I did part of this."
>  (LibreOffice has this information under the Credit button in the
>  About screen)

Open source is about community, not a single person or even list of them ;-) Actually this idea is mentioned at the Google Play description :-) Anyway, it will require parsing our Git logs before every release at least.

> + Can anybody help with whether we need licensing information? (The
>  remote is apparently licensed under MPL2, not LGPL, so not sure that
>  is necessary.)

Nope, I believe it is not. Required information mentioned at source code headers. Mentioning libraries is just a nice touch and because of that I intentionally added this screen. As I mentioned, there are no libraries except ones from the SDK, so there is nothing to mention. If you are interested, ActionBarSherlock was mentioned but this library was removed in favour of Google-provided one.

Don’t think I am aggressive or trying to save a couple of kilobytes :-) I just trying to say if there is no reason for it — there is no implementation. I included this screen with reason and it disappeared.

Best regards,
Artur.