Libreoffice vs Apache OpenOffice: how to choose the right free office suite for you | TechRadar

drodriguez drodriguez

Libreoffice vs Apache OpenOffice: how to choose the right free office suite for you | TechRadar

drew-gmail drew-gmail

Re: Libreoffice vs Apache OpenOffice: how to choose the right free office suite for you | TechRadar

From the article:
"Language support
If you're multilingual, it's worth noting that Apache OpenOffice offers
more in terms of flexibility when it comes to languages, letting you
download additional language patches as plugins. If you choose LibreOffice,
you'll need to pick one language at the start and stick with it."

That's right.

On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 9:50 AM Daniel A. Rodriguez <

drew-gmail drew-gmail

Re: Libreoffice vs Apache OpenOffice: how to choose the right free office suite for you | TechRadar

From the article;

"Language support

If you're multilingual, it's worth noting that Apache OpenOffice offers
more in terms of flexibility when it comes to languages, letting you
download additional language patches as plugins. If you choose LibreOffice,
you'll need to pick one language at the start and stick with it."

That's not right.

The article also talks about the UI being old looking and then fails to
mention the new UI (notebook bar) elements in LibreOffice.

The article also misses that there are large numbers of spreadsheets in MSO
format that will not function in AOO, lack of functions, which work in
LibreOffice.

Then there is the question of performance, LibreOffice has the edge here in
Calc when needing to crunch lots of data, with the multi-core threading
support. Not mentioned.

There is likely others.

On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 9:50 AM Daniel A. Rodriguez <

Italo Vignoli-4 Italo Vignoli-4

Re: Libreoffice vs Apache OpenOffice: how to choose the right free office suite for you | TechRadar

I will write to the editor about these inaccuracies, but in general we try
to avoid comparisons with Apache OpenOffice.

---
Italo Vignoli
[hidden email]
mob +39 348 5653829
sent from mobile

In data 21 aprile 2019 16:42:44 Drew Jensen <[hidden email]> ha
scritto:

> From the article;
>
> "Language support
>
> If you're multilingual, it's worth noting that Apache OpenOffice offers
> more in terms of flexibility when it comes to languages, letting you
> download additional language patches as plugins. If you choose LibreOffice,
> you'll need to pick one language at the start and stick with it."
>
> That's not right.
>
> The article also talks about the UI being old looking and then fails to
> mention the new UI (notebook bar) elements in LibreOffice.
>

> The article also misses that there are large numbers of spreadsheets in MSO
> format that will not function in AOO, lack of functions, which work in
> LibreOffice.
>

> Then there is the question of performance, LibreOffice has the edge here in
> Calc when needing to crunch lots of data, with the multi-core threading
> support. Not mentioned.
>

> There is likely others.
>

> On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 9:50 AM Daniel A. Rodriguez <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> https://www.techradar.com/news/libreoffice-vs-apache-openoffice-how-to-choose-the-right-free-office-suite-for-you

Italo Vignoli-4 Italo Vignoli-4

Re: Libreoffice vs Apache OpenOffice: how to choose the right free office suite for you | TechRadar

I have sent a message to the journalist, but she is out for Easter
holidays until next Tuesday. I will keep you posted about the reply (if
any).

On 21/04/19 16:41, Drew Jensen wrote:

> From the article;
>
> "Language support
>
> If you're multilingual, it's worth noting that Apache OpenOffice offers
> more in terms of flexibility when it comes to languages, letting you
> download additional language patches as plugins. If you choose LibreOffice,
> you'll need to pick one language at the start and stick with it."
>
> That's not right.
>
> The article also talks about the UI being old looking and then fails to
> mention the new UI (notebook bar) elements in LibreOffice.
>

> The article also misses that there are large numbers of spreadsheets in MSO
> format that will not function in AOO, lack of functions, which work in
> LibreOffice.
>

> Then there is the question of performance, LibreOffice has the edge here in
> Calc when needing to crunch lots of data, with the multi-core threading
> support. Not mentioned.
>

> There is likely others.
>

> On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 9:50 AM Daniel A. Rodriguez <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> https://www.techradar.com/news/libreoffice-vs-apache-openoffice-how-to-choose-the-right-free-office-suite-for-you

Italo Vignoli - [hidden email]
mobile/signal +39.348.5653829 - skype italovignoli
hangout/jabber [hidden email]
GPG Key ID - 0xAAB8D5C0

William Gathoye William Gathoye

Re: Libreoffice vs Apache OpenOffice: how to choose the right free office suite for you | TechRadar

Hi Italo,

Did you get any news from her?

Managing the LibreOfficeFR Twitter account, I have been made aware of
this article by users, the same day it has been published.

I tried to ping the author as well via Twitter/LinkedIn but no answer
from her.

Did you get positive results from your side?

William Gathoye
<[hidden email]>

Italo Vignoli-4 Italo Vignoli-4

Re: Libreoffice vs Apache OpenOffice: how to choose the right free office suite for you | TechRadar

I have poked the editor in chief and the journalist by email, but I did
not get any answer. This is rather typical though, as publishers do not
like being poked for mistakes.

--
Italo Vignoli - [hidden email]
mobile/signal +39.348.5653829 - skype italovignoli
hangout/jabber [hidden email]
GPG Key ID - 0xAAB8D5C0

drew-gmail drew-gmail

Re: Libreoffice vs Apache OpenOffice: how to choose the right free office suite for you | TechRadar

Howdy,

I wanted to add something here - today I read an article about South Korea
planning to switch from Windows 7 to (some version of) Linux.
Reading over the comments it is clear that people are in more than a few
cases referring to features supported in LibreOffice but attributing them
to OpenOffice (where they are not).

So I put this here because the comment in a previous email, "but in general
we try
to avoid comparisons with Apache OpenOffice."

I think that is a mistake.

Best wishes,

Drew

On Sun, May 19, 2019 at 1:43 PM Italo Vignoli <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I have poked the editor in chief and the journalist by email, but I did
> not get any answer. This is rather typical though, as publishers do not
> like being poked for mistakes.
>
> On 18/05/19 13:09, William Gathoye wrote:
> > Hi Italo,
> >
> > Did you get any news from her?
> >
> > Managing the LibreOfficeFR Twitter account, I have been made aware of
> > this article by users, the same day it has been published.
> >
> > I tried to ping the author as well via Twitter/LinkedIn but no answer
> > from her.
> >
> > Did you get positive results from your side?
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> --
> Italo Vignoli - [hidden email]
> mobile/signal +39.348.5653829 - skype italovignoli
> hangout/jabber [hidden email]
> GPG Key ID - 0xAAB8D5C0
> DB75 1534 3FD0 EA5F 56B5 FDA6 DE82 934C AAB8 D5C0

Italo Vignoli-4 Italo Vignoli-4

Re: Libreoffice vs Apache OpenOffice: how to choose the right free office suite for you | TechRadar

I agree with you, but I am not a board member.

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Italo Vignoli wrote on 19/05/2019 23:42:

> I agree with you, but I am not a board member.

It might well be that the board is open for good ideas and new insights ;)

IIRC, the policy to not compare with AOO in public, was based on the
wish to not divide the two more than was the case, in the hope that a
coming together would grow.

Looking at what happened over the years, and the situation at AOO, I
think it can be well defended that we should change policy. And start
comparing clearly (and non offensive) to help inform the poor users out
there, still hooked to AOO.

OK?

Cheers,
Cor

--
Cor Nouws
- volunteer https://www.libreoffice.org

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: Libreoffice vs Apache OpenOffice: how to choose the right free office suite for you | TechRadar

> On 19/05/19 23:34, Drew Jensen wrote:
>> I wanted to add something here - today I read an article about South Korea
>> planning to switch from Windows 7 to (some version of) Linux.
>> Reading over the comments it is clear that people are in more than a few
>> cases referring to features supported in LibreOffice but attributing them
>> to OpenOffice (where they are not).
>>
>> So I put this here because the comment in a previous email, "but in general
>> we try to avoid comparisons with Apache OpenOffice."
>>
>> I think that is a mistake.

Italo Vignoli wrote on 19/05/2019 23:42:

> I agree with you, but I am not a board member.

It might well be that the board is open for good ideas and new insights ;)

IIRC, the policy to not compare with AOO in public, was based on the
wish to not divide the two more than was the case, in the hope that a
coming together would grow.

Looking at the current situation, I think it can be well defended that
we should change policy. And start comparing clearly (and non offensive)
to help inform the users out there.

Cheers,
Cor