Links to Extensions

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Links to Extensions

Hi all,

Is it me, or has the fact that accessing the OOo extensions website has
become a farce escaped everyone's notice ?

Using the Extensions Manager to download extra extensions is now a joke.
It points you to :

http://extensions.libreoffice.org

which just redirects to :

http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:OpenOfficeExtensions/List

Most of the extensions available there are actually hosted on :

http://extensions.services.openoffice.org

Trying to access that site invariably results in :

"The connection to the server was reinitialised, please try again"

or a timeout, or a "page not found" error.

This is not the way to win people over or make a credible statement to
the user population out there that relies on some of those extensions to
fill the gaps where OOo (and now LibO) was felt lacking in functionality.

It would be easy to say, "well, obviously it is Oracle's fault for
pulling the plug, stalling, reducing resources", or whatever other
excuse we might like to come up with. Ultimately, it is our own
responsibility to provide somewhere that will store those extensions and
make them accessible in a reliable manner.

So may I ask what, if anything, is being done, or have I missed something ?

Alex

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: Links to Extensions

Hi Alexander,

Alexander Thurgood wrote (10-05-11 09:49)

> Is it me, or has the fact that accessing the OOo extensions website has
> become a farce escaped everyone's notice ?

Coincidentally I replied to two comments for my CT2N extension this
morning. Without problem. But trying now, results in the error you mention.

> Trying to access that site invariably results in :
>
> "The connection to the server was reinitialised, please try again"
>
> or a timeout, or a "page not found" error.
>

> This is not the way to win people over or make a credible statement to
> [...]

Agree

> So may I ask what, if anything, is being done, or have I missed something ?

The least we could do is place a note that currently the site that hosts
the extensions is not so reliable?

Best,
Cor

--
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: Links to Extensions

Le 10/05/11 10:37, Cor Nouws a écrit :

Hi Cor,

> Coincidentally I replied to two comments for my CT2N extension this
> morning. Without problem. But trying now, results in the error you mention.

Thanks at least for confirming, but I've seen reports on the users list,
and even a few bug reports where people have already mentioned that they
can't access Extension XYZ.

Whilst I can understand that it may be easier to just add some blurb to
the website with words akin to "USERS BEWARE : the extensions site
appears to be currently suffering from availability issues", etc, this
does not actually solve the underlying problem. A quick whois tells me
that the servers are registered to Sun (no surprise there), so we remain
dependent on the goodwill of an Oracle (Sun) controlled server to be
able to continue to access extensions.

Both you, I, and everyone else here know that given the current climate
of uncertainty relating to the "opening by Oracle of OOo to _a_
Community run project", leaving users looking for extensions to their
own devices, or as we say more colloquially "in the lurch" is not the
solution.

Are our resources so constrained that we can not, could not, provide
such an infrastructure ourselves ?

Alex

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: Links to Extensions

Hi Alex,

Alexander Thurgood wrote (10-05-11 11:24)

> Both you, I, and everyone else here know that given the current climate
> of uncertainty relating to the "opening by Oracle of OOo to _a_
> Community run project", leaving users looking for extensions to their
> own devices, or as we say more colloquially "in the lurch" is not the
> solution.
>
> Are our resources so constrained that we can not, could not, provide
> such an infrastructure ourselves ?

Maybe, but I would suggest to wait a bit longer until we know how/what
Oracle wants to transfer to what community.
Doing a lot of work the next weeks, and maybe finding out shortly that
it has been (partly) waste of time, does not sound attractive to me.

Regards,
Cor

--
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org

Andrea Pescetti Andrea Pescetti

Re: Links to Extensions

Alexander Thurgood wrote:
> "USERS BEWARE : the extensions site
> appears to be currently suffering from availability issues", etc, this
> does not actually solve the underlying problem. A quick whois tells me
> that the servers are registered to Sun (no surprise there), so we remain
> dependent on the goodwill of an Oracle (Sun) controlled server to be
> able to continue to access extensions.

The Extensions server is not owned or operated by Oracle, but by the
Oregon State University Open Source Lab. At least, it used to be this
way and I have no indications that this has changed. I don't exactly
know what kind of whois you ran, but

$ host extensions.services.openoffice.org
extensions.services.openoffice.org is an alias for oooapps.osuosl.org.
oooapps.osuosl.org has address 140.211.166.72

> Are our resources so constrained that we can not, could not, provide
> such an infrastructure ourselves ?

Thorsten Bosbach from Oracle made a huge effort to port the Templates
and Extensions websites to Drupal 6 (they currently run the obsolete and
not so scalable Drupal 5), see
http://openoffice.org/projects/extensions/lists/websites/archive/2011-04/message/2
Originally, these were scheduled to replace the Drupal 5 sites this
month; I don't know when and if this will actually happen, but this
would be the way to go.

Regards,
  Andrea.

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: Links to Extensions

Hi,

Andrea Pescetti wrote on 2011-05-11 01.19:
> The Extensions server is not owned or operated by Oracle, but by the
> Oregon State University Open Source Lab. At least, it used to be this
> way and I have no indications that this has changed.

indeed, OSUOSL, as they are abbreviated, is the provider for these
services. I don't know the legal details (which entity actually
contracted them), but I know that at least in parts also community
funding has been used to have the sites hosted there -- for example, in
2009, when Christian and I have been budget authorizers for the OOo
infrastructure budget, we unanimously have supported this.

Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

Andreas Mantke Andreas Mantke

Re: Links to Extensions

Hi Alex, *,

Am Dienstag, 10. Mai 2011, 11:24:31 schrieb Alexander Thurgood:
> Le 10/05/11 10:37, Cor Nouws a écrit :
(...)
> Are our resources so constrained that we can not, could not, provide
> such an infrastructure ourselves ?

sorry for jumping in so late, but I'm currently on a conference and have not enough
time to read and answer my mails instantly. I'm working on such an environment for
LibreOffice for some weeks in my spare time. I hope to solve some bugs in the
product, that I created for this purpose. Maybe I can manage every thing or the most
of the bugs with the support from some attendees of this OSS-Event ;-)

I run a very alpha version of my idea for an extension center here:
http://extensions-test.libreoffice.org/libreoffice-extensions

(I did a rework of this environment, that is not finished yet. The code is inside the
LibreOffice-Git-Repo:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/website/tree/?h=LiboExtensionCenter. I did
some changes in the last days to this code on my Laptop, which I will sent to the
repo next week).

Regards,
Andreas
--
## Developer LibreOffice
## http://LibreOffice.org

Andreas Mantke wrote:
> I'm working on such an environment for LibreOffice for some weeks in
> my spare time. I hope to solve some bugs in the product, that I
> created for this purpose.

Ah, surprise! I admit I find it weird that there is a test website in
the .libreoffice.org hierarchy active since March or earlier, and a code
repository in the official hierarchy active since April, without any
notifications to this list. I understand that the Steering Committee
must have had their good reasons for this "silent" development, but I
kind of expected that a new site development would have been announced
here.

Honestly I still like Thorsten Bosbach's new port of the existing
Templates/Extensions infrastructure more (and I wrote months ago that I
don't see the reasons for a dedicated LibreOffice extensions site, but
again I understand those who support this idea); you surely deserve to
be thanked for the effort, anyway, and I'm looking forward to seeing the
final result when the site is publicly announced!

Regards,
  Andrea.

italovignoli italovignoli

Re: Links to Extensions

On 5/12/11 12:32 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> Ah, surprise! I admit I find it weird that there is a test website in
> the .libreoffice.org hierarchy active since March or earlier, and a code
> repository in the official hierarchy active since April, without any
> notifications to this list. I understand that the Steering Committee
> must have had their good reasons for this "silent" development, but I
> kind of expected that a new site development would have been announced
> here.

I was not aware of the test website, as - I suppose - many other members
of the Steering Committee. I don't think there is any reason to hide
such a development, and I don't see why it shouldn't be discussed on the
website mailing list, provided that the website respects our policy of
promoting free software extensions.

--
Italo Vignoli
[hidden email]

Italo Vignoli
Director - The Document Foundation
sophi sophi

Re: Links to Extensions

Hi Andrea,
On 12/05/2011 01:32, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> Andreas Mantke wrote:
>> I'm working on such an environment for LibreOffice for some weeks in
>> my spare time. I hope to solve some bugs in the product, that I
>> created for this purpose.
>
> Ah, surprise! I admit I find it weird that there is a test website in
> the .libreoffice.org hierarchy active since March or earlier, and a code
> repository in the official hierarchy active since April, without any
> notifications to this list. I understand that the Steering Committee
> must have had their good reasons for this "silent" development, but I
> kind of expected that a new site development would have been announced
> here.

it seems that it's just what Andreas did ;) Consider it like Litmus, we
test the tool, try some dev on it to make sure it's the one that will
satisfy our needs, a rough dev is first done and then presented to the
community to see if everything is ok. Coming with nothing imho always
lead to a lot of discussions without clearing or hurrying the
implementation.

> Honestly I still like Thorsten Bosbach's new port of the existing
> Templates/Extensions infrastructure more (and I wrote months ago that I
> don't see the reasons for a dedicated LibreOffice extensions site, but
> again I understand those who support this idea); you surely deserve to
> be thanked for the effort, anyway, and I'm looking forward to seeing the
> final result when the site is publicly announced!

So now that Andreas has announce it, please, don't hesitate to test and
give your feedback. As he said, he only work on his spare time on it, so
it may goes slowly, but if he gets some help, every body will be happy :)

Kind regards
Sophie

Andreas Mantke Andreas Mantke

Re: Links to Extensions

Hi Sophie, Andrea, Italo, *,

Am Donnerstag, 12. Mai 2011, 06:44:52 schrieb Sophie Gautier:

> Hi Andrea,
>
> On 12/05/2011 01:32, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> > Andreas Mantke wrote:
> >> I'm working on such an environment for LibreOffice for some weeks in
> >> my spare time. I hope to solve some bugs in the product, that I
> >> created for this purpose.
> >
> > Ah, surprise! I admit I find it weird that there is a test website in
> > the .libreoffice.org hierarchy active since March or earlier, and a code
> > repository in the official hierarchy active since April, without any
> > notifications to this list. I understand that the Steering Committee
> > must have had their good reasons for this "silent" development, but I
> > kind of expected that a new site development would have been announced
> > here.
>
> it seems that it's just what Andreas did ;) Consider it like Litmus, we
> test the tool, try some dev on it to make sure it's the one that will
> satisfy our needs, a rough dev is first done and then presented to the
> community to see if everything is ok. Coming with nothing imho always
> lead to a lot of discussions without clearing or hurrying the
> implementation.

thanks Sophie for jumping in. That was my thought.

> > Honestly I still like Thorsten Bosbach's new port of the existing
> > Templates/Extensions infrastructure more (and I wrote months ago that I
> > don't see the reasons for a dedicated LibreOffice extensions site, but
> > again I understand those who support this idea); you surely deserve to
> > be thanked for the effort, anyway, and I'm looking forward to seeing the
> > final result when the site is publicly announced!
>
> So now that Andreas has announce it, please, don't hesitate to test and
> give your feedback. As he said, he only work on his spare time on it, so
> it may goes slowly, but if he gets some help, every body will be happy :)

That will definetivly help ;-)

Regards,
Andreas
--
## Developer LibreOffice
## http://LibreOffice.org
## Meine Seite: http://www.amantke.de

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: Links to Extensions

Hi Andreas,

Le 12/05/11 10:47, Andreas Mantke a écrit :

> That will definetivly help ;-)

Excellent news, thank you !!

Alex

On 12/05/2011 Sophie Gautier wrote:
> On 12/05/2011 01:32, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> > I kind of expected that a new site development would have been announced
> > here.
>
> it seems that it's just what Andreas did ;) Consider it like Litmus, we
> test the tool, try some dev on it to make sure it's the one that will
> satisfy our needs, a rough dev is first done and then presented to the
> community to see if everything is ok.

OK, this is an understandable choice. Managing Extensions and Templates
can be a bit more difficult than what one expects, so the "just do it"
approach might not be the best, but it is surely acceptable and it
indeed avoids discussion.

> So now that Andreas has announce it, please, don't hesitate to test and
> give your feedback.

Andreas appropriately described the current version as "very alpha":
this site (at this stage; I'm sure it will get better!) is definitely
not comparable to Thorsten Bosbach's new sites at OOo, and not even to
Michael Wheatland's prototypes from months ago. The chosen technology
does not allow me to give any useful feedback before the site enters RC
stage, but once it is in RC I'll try and upload my extensions there and
provide feedback. Just don't forget to announce on this list when it
enters RC, and congratulations to Andreas for the effort!

Regards,
  Andrea.

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: Links to Extensions

Le 14/05/11 00:03, Andrea Pescetti a écrit :

Hi Andrea,

> Andreas appropriately described the current version as "very alpha":
> this site (at this stage; I'm sure it will get better!) is definitely
> not comparable to Thorsten Bosbach's new sites at OOo, and not even to
> Michael Wheatland's prototypes from months ago. The chosen technology
> does not allow me to give any useful feedback before the site enters RC
> stage, but once it is in RC I'll try and upload my extensions there and
> provide feedback. Just don't forget to announce on this list when it
> enters RC, and congratulations to Andreas for the effort!

The biggest issue I had/have with the newlook OOo extensions site (apart
from it being unavailable most of the time) is the fact there appears to
be no where to download all of the extensions, or templates, say for a
given locale, in one bundle. It was particularly frustrating for the
templates section of that site. I sincerely hope that we will be able to
offer a grouped download functionality (one massive zip file) in
addition to individual downloads.

Just my 2c.

Alex