Linux Magazine LibreOffice special -- copies to give away

Mike Saunders Mike Saunders

Linux Magazine LibreOffice special -- copies to give away

Hi everyone,

Sparkhaus Media, a publisher in Germany that produces various Linux and
FOSS-related magazines, has just released a special edition about
LibreOffice:

http://www.sparkhaus-shop.com/magazines/special-editions/eh32068.html

A few of us at The Document Foundation contributed some articles, and
they will be available later under Creative Commons for our blog, and
for anyone else to use, update, translate etc.

Meanwhile, I have 150 printed copies of the magazine, for events,
schools, libraries etc. So far I have given some to a library here in
Munich, and plan to contact other libraries.

If anyone has other ideas for distributing the magazines, get in touch
and we can discuss further, and I can send you some! I think we should
try to get the magazines into the hands of new users, and people who
aren't aware of LibreOffice. (Instead of, say, just handing them out at
Linux/FOSS events, where some people may take them as freebies, but
never really look into them.)

--
Mike Saunders, Marketing & PR
The Document Foundation

Thorsten Behrens Thorsten Behrens

Re: Linux Magazine LibreOffice special -- copies to give away

Hi Mike,

Mike Saunders wrote:
> I think we should try to get the magazines into the hands of new
> users, and people who aren't aware of LibreOffice. (Instead of, say,
> just handing them out at Linux/FOSS events, where some people may
> take them as freebies, but never really look into them.)

Yep - giving them away like stickers would be a waste - then again, I
think they're generally a great thing to have at events, if even for
people to leaf through them while waiting to get their questions
answered at a booth.

>From the target audience, I think they're not ideally suited for the
absolute newbie to LibreOffice, but more for existing users.

Perhaps simply getting a few copies sent to each of our native lang
teams (where an English magazine would make sense), and leaving it to
them how to best put them to good use?

Cheers,

-- Thorsten

Bhairavi Parikh Bhairavi Parikh

Re: Linux Magazine LibreOffice special -- copies to give away

Hi everyone, I suggest placing the magazines in cool, eclectic art/design
gift shops and book shops around the world. Get the artist / designer
community hooked on to Libre Office.

They pay quite a bit to use their creative softwares and materials - Libre
Office would be a nice change for them, especially if it's well-designed.

Maybe future editions can feature a fold-out art poster.

Cheers,
B.

On Thu, 13 Dec 2018, 04:15 Thorsten Behrens <[hidden email]
wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Mike Saunders wrote:
> > I think we should try to get the magazines into the hands of new
> > users, and people who aren't aware of LibreOffice. (Instead of, say,
> > just handing them out at Linux/FOSS events, where some people may
> > take them as freebies, but never really look into them.)
> >
> Yep - giving them away like stickers would be a waste - then again, I
> think they're generally a great thing to have at events, if even for
> people to leaf through them while waiting to get their questions
> answered at a booth.
>
> >From the target audience, I think they're not ideally suited for the
> absolute newbie to LibreOffice, but more for existing users.
>
> Perhaps simply getting a few copies sent to each of our native lang
> teams (where an English magazine would make sense), and leaving it to
> them how to best put them to good use?
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Thorsten

K-J LibreOffice K-J LibreOffice

Re: Linux Magazine LibreOffice special -- copies to give away

Good morning Mike,
you should put a "Join us" or "Get involved" sticker on every copy or
something like that, so they are marked from TDF.
And put a "Mach mit" and a "TDF-das Zuhause von LibreOffice"-Flyer in it.

--
Grüße
k-j

Member of TheDocumentFoundation
https://www.documentfoundation.org/governance/members/
https://de.libreoffice.org
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: Linux Magazine LibreOffice special -- copies to give away

Hi,

K-J LibreOffice <[hidden email]> wrote on Thu, 13 Dec 2018 08:09:24
+0100:

> you should put a "Join us" or "Get involved" sticker on every copy or
> something like that, so they are marked from TDF.
> And put a "Mach mit" and a "TDF-das Zuhause von LibreOffice"-Flyer in it.

I like the idea indeed! :-)

Florian

Mike Saunders Mike Saunders

Re: Linux Magazine LibreOffice special -- copies to give away

Hi K-J, Florian,

>> you should put a "Join us" or "Get involved" sticker on every copy or
>> something like that, so they are marked from TDF.
>> And put a "Mach mit" and a "TDF-das Zuhause von LibreOffice"-Flyer in it.
>
> I like the idea indeed! :-)

The magazine already has a big "Get involved" page, on the inside back
cover:

https://blog.documentfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/20181213_091810.jpg

I can indeed also add German flyers for copies distributed in DE/AT/CH,
but as the magazine is in English, hopefully readers will understand the
"Get involved" page already :-)

Mike