LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards - "Office Suite of the Year" - vote

marcpare4 marcpare4

LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards - "Office Suite of the Year" - vote

Hi all,

The site LinuxQuestions.org is again offering users the chance to vote
on their "Members Choice Awards" categories. They are debating this year
as to whether do away with the "Office Suite of the Year" award, as
LibreOffice usually wins by such a wide margin.

Feel free to add your voice and spread the word about the vote! You may
find the voting site here:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/2016-linuxquestions-org-members-choice-awards-123/office-suite-of-the-year-4175596296/

On the topic over whether they should close this particular category,
IMO, if there were no other office suite choices other than LibreOffice,
then closing the category would make sense. However, there are plenty of
choices in the Linux office suite arena and it is always nice to see how
people in general feel of their most favourite office suite. Yes, the
margins are quite wide between LibreOffice and the next second office
suite choice, however, it is always nice to see who is in second, third,
fourth place standing. It is also always nice to see that the work put
into LibreOffice is validated by an outpouring of its users.

I would then suggest that we should not only place our vote for
LibreOffice, but make sure to comment on the page, that the "Office
Suite of the Year Award" not be closed. The category not only validates
the TDF/LibreOffice achievement, but also serves to validate and
recognize other open source/for-profit projects in the office suite
category, regardless of the standing. I cannot imagine how the awards
scene would look like if all other award organizations decided to do the
same and close down categories for the same reason.

Hope you can take time to vote for your favourite office suite and feel
free to browse the other categories on the site.

Cheers,

Marc

--
Marc Paré
[hidden email]

TomD TomD

Re: LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards - "Office Suite of the Year" - vote

Hi :)
I think it might be more meaningful if they included MS Office and other
proprietary options including Android and iPad options such as "Author".

Many people claim that there are no alternatives to MS Office and that
"even if there were" they would still have to use it.  Many others claim to
have tried all the alternatives but that nothing is as good as MS Office.
It is good to have a place that consistently rubbishes such idiots.

Those sort of people claim that because there is no alternative to MS
Office they couldn't possible move away from Windows.

So i really think this is a crucial category for LinuxQuestions.com.

On 8 January 2017 at 09:43, Marc Paré <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The site LinuxQuestions.org is again offering users the chance to vote on
> their "Members Choice Awards" categories. They are debating this year as to
> whether do away with the "Office Suite of the Year" award, as LibreOffice
> usually wins by such a wide margin.
>
> Feel free to add your voice and spread the word about the vote! You may
> find the voting site here: http://www.linuxquestions.org/
> questions/2016-linuxquestions-org-members-choice-awards-123/
> office-suite-of-the-year-4175596296/
>
> On the topic over whether they should close this particular category, IMO,
> if there were no other office suite choices other than LibreOffice, then
> closing the category would make sense. However, there are plenty of choices
> in the Linux office suite arena and it is always nice to see how people in
> general feel of their most favourite office suite. Yes, the margins are
> quite wide between LibreOffice and the next second office suite choice,
> however, it is always nice to see who is in second, third, fourth place
> standing. It is also always nice to see that the work put into LibreOffice
> is validated by an outpouring of its users.
>
> I would then suggest that we should not only place our vote for
> LibreOffice, but make sure to comment on the page, that the "Office Suite
> of the Year Award" not be closed. The category not only validates the
> TDF/LibreOffice achievement, but also serves to validate and recognize
> other open source/for-profit projects in the office suite category,
> regardless of the standing. I cannot imagine how the awards scene would
> look like if all other award organizations decided to do the same and close
> down categories for the same reason.
>
> Hope you can take time to vote for your favourite office suite and feel
> free to browse the other categories on the site.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Marc
>
> --
> Marc Paré
> [hidden email]
> http://www.parEntreprise.com
> parEntreprise.com Supports OpenDocument Formats (ODF)
> parEntreprise.com Supports http://www.LibreOffice.org

John R. Sowden John R. Sowden

Re: LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards - "Office Suite of the Year" - vote

I have been using LO since the beginning of its time, OO since its
beginning of time, and Star Office before that.  BUT, a close relative,
who uses Windows and MSO, uses it because: (a) It's a bother to learn
something new, (b) the files don't always show up right, (c) her other
colleagues (school teacher) use MS O, so they discus doing things using
MS O, and (d) most importantly, using 'something different' gets in the
way of her doing her job (excellent school teacher).  I mention this
because I feel that these are real facts of life when it comes to being
a pioneer, using Linux and LO, or even LO under Windows.  I use Linux
mainly because of the freedom based on technology, not structure based
on profits.

John

On 01/08/2017 04:36 PM, Tom Davies wrote:

> [...]
>> LibreOffice, but make sure to comment on the page, that the "Office Suite
>> of the Year Award" not be closed. The category not only validates the
>> TDF/LibreOffice achievement, but also serves to validate and recognize
>> other open source/for-profit projects in the office suite category,
>> regardless of the standing. I cannot imagine how the awards scene would
>> look like if all other award organizations decided to do the same and close
>> down categories for the same reason.
>>
>> Hope you can take time to vote for your favourite office suite and feel
>> free to browse the other categories on the site.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Marc
>>
>> --
>> Marc Paré
>> [hidden email]
>> http://www.parEntreprise.com
>> parEntreprise.com Supports OpenDocument Formats (ODF)

fudmer rieley fudmer rieley

Re: LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards - "Office Suite of the Year" - vote

I think one of the premier office suites is LO..
its basically amenable to anyone´s need  provided that persons
trying to use it develop sufficient understanding to use it, which
is usually not the case.

What makes LO precious is that no one can buy it to park it.

Should Linux Questions reach to the monopoly assistance provided
by governments and others to foul LO as a major competitor..denying
user access by outlawing a better free product from a costly
less product...?
Laws and policies which designate allowed product are monopolist..

Seems to me Linux Users might  award a wrongful Monopoly of the
y;ear award and market the reasons for the award globally.
On Sun, 1/8/17, Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards - "Office Suite of the Year" - vote
 To: "Marc Paré" <[hidden email]>
 Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Sunday, January 8, 2017, 6:36 PM

 wrote:

 > Hi all,
 >
 > The site
 LinuxQuestions.org is again offering users the chance to
 vote on
 > their "Members Choice
 Awards" categories. They are debating this year as
 > whether do away with the
 "Office Suite of the Year" award, as
 LibreOffice
 > usually wins by such a wide
 margin.

 > Feel free
 to add your voice and spread the word about the vote! You
 may
 > find the voting site here: http://www.linuxquestions.org/

 questions/2016-linuxquestions-org-members-choice-awards-123/
 > office-suite-of-the-year-4175596296/
 >
 > On the topic over
 whether they should close this particular category, IMO,
 > if there were no other office suite
 choices other than LibreOffice, then

 closing the category would make sense. However, there are
 plenty of choices
 > in the Linux office
 suite arena and it is always nice to see how people in
 > general feel of their most favourite
 office suite. Yes, the margins are

 quite wide between LibreOffice and the next second office
 suite choice,
 > however, it is always
 nice to see who is in second, third, fourth place
 > standing. It is also always nice to see
 that the work put into LibreOffice
 > is
 validated by an outpouring of its users.

 > I would then suggest
 that we should not only place our vote for
 > LibreOffice, but make sure to comment on
 the page, that the "Office Suite

 of the Year Award" not be closed. The category not only
 validates the
 > TDF/LibreOffice
 achievement, but also serves to validate and recognize
 > other open source/for-profit projects in
 the office suite category,
 > regardless
 of the standing. I cannot imagine how the awards scene
 would
 > look like if all other award
 organizations decided to do the same and close
 > down categories for the same reason.
 >
 > Hope you can take
 time to vote for your favourite office suite and feel
 > free to browse the other categories on the
 site.

 > Cheers,
 >
 > Marc
 >
 > --
 > Marc Paré
 > [hidden email]
 > http://www.parEntreprise.com
 > parEntreprise.com Supports OpenDocument
 Formats (ODF)
 > parEntreprise.com
 Supports http://www.LibreOffice.org

 > All messages sent to this list will be
 publicly archived and cannot be

 deleted

Girvin Herr-4 Girvin Herr-4

On 01/08/2017 05:29 PM, John R. Sowden wrote:

> I have been using LO since the beginning of its time, OO since its
> beginning of time, and Star Office before that.  BUT, a close
> relative, who uses Windows and MSO, uses it because: (a) It's a bother
> to learn something new, (b) the files don't always show up right, (c)
> her other colleagues (school teacher) use MS O, so they discus doing
> things using MS O, and (d) most importantly, using 'something
> different' gets in the way of her doing her job (excellent school
> teacher).  I mention this because I feel that these are real facts of
> life when it comes to being a pioneer, using Linux and LO, or even LO
> under Windows.  I use Linux mainly because of the freedom based on
> technology, not structure based on profits.
>
> John

+1
As for those who stick with microsoft: Use whatever tool fits your hand.
I, personally, haven't found anything msOffice can do that OpenOffice
and LibreOffice can't do.  The UI is just different. Much of what AOO
and LO do do, I don't use.  My concern is that AOO and/or LO are trying
too hard to keep up with msOffice and are becoming feature bloated too,
to the detriment of fixing bugs.  AOO and LO are great programs in their
own right.  'nuff said.
Girvin Herr