List available at GMANE

Next » 12
Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

List available at GMANE

Hi,

finally, this list is also available via GMANE:
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.discuss

Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: List available at GMANE

Le 2010-10-06 09:12, Florian Effenberger a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> finally, this list is also available via GMANE:
> http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.discuss
>
> Florian

Merci Florian:

I am writing you from the nntp and it works well.

Marc

NoOp NoOp

Re: List available at GMANE

On 10/06/2010 06:12 AM, Florian Effenberger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> finally, this list is also available via GMANE:
> http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.discuss
>
> Florian

Working?

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: List available at GMANE

It does for me?

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880
Fax: +49 8341 99660889
Mobile: +49 151 14424108

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: List available at GMANE

Le 2010-10-08 20:33, NoOp a écrit :

> On 10/06/2010 06:12 AM, Florian Effenberger wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> finally, this list is also available via GMANE:
>> http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.discuss
>>
>> Florian
>>

> Working?

Works for me on Thunderbird as my newsreader.

Marc

NoOp NoOp

Re: List available at GMANE

On 10/08/2010 07:40 PM, Marc Paré wrote:

> Le 2010-10-08 20:33, NoOp a écrit :
>> On 10/06/2010 06:12 AM, Florian Effenberger wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> finally, this list is also available via GMANE:
>>> http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.discuss
>>>
>>> Florian
>>>

>> Working?
>>

> Works for me on Thunderbird as my newsreader.
>
> Marc

Thanks. I just tested and found that in order to post via gmane.org/nntp
you must be subscribed to the mail list via the standard email subscribe
([hidden email]).

I tested by unsubscribing ([hidden email]),
going through the confirmation, and then attempted to reply to you via
gmane.org - the post didn't go through. So I resubscribed and am now
posting via gmane.org.

If the lists require that you first be subscribed to the list via email
in order to post via gmane.org then it somewhat defeats the purpose of
gmane.org - e.g., use nntp so that email bandwidth isn't used.

With the permission of Florian & the list I'd like to continue to use
this thread temporarily for further testing msgs until the issue is
sorted out.

Questions for Marc (and others on the list:
1. are you also subscribed to the list via the standard email
[hidden email]?
2. if you unsubscribe to the list can you still post to the list via
gmane.org?

Like the OOo lists (and other gmane.org lists), posts via gmane.org
shouldn't also require a direct email subscription as gmane.org does the
email verification directly before allowing a user to post to a list. So
perhaps some added tuning with gmane.org is necessary?

Gary (NoOp)

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: List available at GMANE

> Questions for Marc (and others on the list:
> 1. are you also subscribed to the list via the standard email
> [hidden email]?

Hi Gary, I was and just this minute un-subscribed. I like being
subscribed as I like to guage the traffic on the mailist. I usually
delete (zero) my mailist messages around 12 midnight.

> 2. if you unsubscribe to the list can you still post to the list via
> gmane.org?

This is a post sent via gmane. If you get this post then, yes, I can
post without being subscribed.

> Like the OOo lists (and other gmane.org lists), posts via gmane.org
> shouldn't also require a direct email subscription as gmane.org does the
> email verification directly before allowing a user to post to a list. So
> perhaps some added tuning with gmane.org is necessary?
>
> Gary (NoOp)

It would be strange behaviour if it did.

Marc

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: List available at GMANE

Le 2010-10-09 00:15, Marc Paré a écrit :

>> Questions for Marc (and others on the list:
>> 1. are you also subscribed to the list via the standard email
>> [hidden email]?
>
> Hi Gary, I was and just this minute un-subscribed. I like being
> subscribed as I like to guage the traffic on the mailist. I usually
> delete (zero) my mailist messages around 12 midnight.
>
>> 2. if you unsubscribe to the list can you still post to the list via
>> gmane.org?
>
> This is a post sent via gmane. If you get this post then, yes, I can
> post without being subscribed.
>

>> Like the OOo lists (and other gmane.org lists), posts via gmane.org
>> shouldn't also require a direct email subscription as gmane.org does the
>> email verification directly before allowing a user to post to a list. So
>> perhaps some added tuning with gmane.org is necessary?
>>
>> Gary (NoOp)
>>

> It would be strange behaviour if it did.
>
> Marc

Oops, I am not sure how long it takes for the process to remove me. I
just got my posted message through the mailist. Still not un-subscribed
yet. I'll give it another 15 minutes or so.

Marc

NoOp NoOp

Re: List available at GMANE

On 10/08/2010 09:24 PM, Marc Paré wrote:
> Oops, I am not sure how long it takes for the process to remove me. I
> just got my posted message through the mailist. Still not un-subscribed
> yet. I'll give it another 15 minutes or so.
>
> Marc

My guess is that it didn't work & that you'll need to resubscribe to the
list before any reply via gmane.org is accepted. I'll send you a note
off list so that we can test independently without causing too much
noise in this thread.

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: List available at GMANE

Le 2010-10-09 01:01, NoOp a écrit :

> On 10/08/2010 09:24 PM, Marc Paré wrote:
>> Oops, I am not sure how long it takes for the process to remove me. I
>> just got my posted message through the mailist. Still not un-subscribed
>> yet. I'll give it another 15 minutes or so.
>>
>> Marc
>>

> My guess is that it didn't work&  that you'll need to resubscribe to the
> list before any reply via gmane.org is accepted. I'll send you a note
> off list so that we can test independently without causing too much
> noise in this thread.

I'm back and had to re-subscribed. You are right, you do have to be
subscribed to use the Gmane.

Marc

Am 09.10.2010 um 05:20 schrieb NoOp:

> Like the OOo lists (and other gmane.org lists), posts via gmane.org
> shouldn't also require a direct email subscription as gmane.org does
the
> email verification directly before allowing a user to post to a list.
So
> perhaps some added tuning with gmane.org is necessary?

of course we do require subscription for people who want to subscribe to
mailing lists. Otherwise, we'd be the victim of spam very soon.

However, there is a nomail subscription you can use by using
listname+subscribe-nomail (e.g.
[hidden email]). Then you can post, but
receive no messages.

Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880
Fax: +49 8341 99660889
Mobile: +49 151 14424108

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: List available at GMANE

Le 2010-10-09 06:36, Florian Effenberger a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Am 09.10.2010 um 05:20 schrieb NoOp:
>
>> Like the OOo lists (and other gmane.org lists), posts via gmane.org
>> shouldn't also require a direct email subscription as gmane.org does
> the
>> email verification directly before allowing a user to post to a list.
> So
>> perhaps some added tuning with gmane.org is necessary?
>
> of course we do require subscription for people who want to subscribe to
> mailing lists. Otherwise, we'd be the victim of spam very soon.
>
> However, there is a nomail subscription you can use by using
> listname+subscribe-nomail (e.g.
> [hidden email]). Then you can post, but
> receive no messages.
>
> Florian

Thanks.

Marc

Larry Gusaas Larry Gusaas

Re: List available at GMANE

On 2010/10/09 4:36 AM  Florian Effenberger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 09.10.2010 um 05:20 schrieb NoOp:
>
>> Like the OOo lists (and other gmane.org lists), posts via gmane.org
>> shouldn't also require a direct email subscription as gmane.org does
> the
>> email verification directly before allowing a user to post to a list.
> So
>> perhaps some added tuning with gmane.org is necessary?
> of course we do require subscription for people who want to subscribe to
> mailing lists. Otherwise, we'd be the victim of spam very soon.

Gmane is a newsgroup. They require verification of the the sender before they post the message.
This serves the same purpose as subscribing to this list. Any senders of spam can be removed.

It is redundant to require the user to subscribe to the mailing list in order to post through
Gmane. The page at
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.discuss clearly states "Status: posting
allowed".

If subscription to the mailing list is required, it should be stated on the Gmane page,
although there is no real need to dual subscribe and defeats the whole purpose of Gmane.

      Larry I. Gusaas

* Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan   Canada
Website:   http://larry-gusaas.com
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." - Edgard Varese *

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: List available at GMANE

Hi Larry,

Larry Gusaas wrote on 2010-10-09 18.36:

> Gmane is a newsgroup. They require verification of the the sender before
> they post the message. This serves the same purpose as subscribing to
> this list. Any senders of spam can be removed.
>
> It is redundant to require the user to subscribe to the mailing list in
> order to post through Gmane. The page at
> http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.discuss clearly
> states "Status: posting allowed".
>
> If subscription to the mailing list is required, it should be stated on
> the Gmane page, although there is no real need to dual subscribe and
> defeats the whole purpose of Gmane.

on our side, only senders who are subscribed to the list can post to it.
I won't change this, as otherwise every spammer can just flood the list
with emails.

Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880
Fax: +49 8341 99660889
Mobile: +49 151 14424108

Charles Marcus Charles Marcus

Re: List available at GMANE

On 2010-10-09 12:36 PM, Larry Gusaas wrote:
> It is redundant to require the user to subscribe to the mailing list in
> order to post through Gmane. The page at
> http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.discuss clearly
> states "Status: posting allowed".
>
> If subscription to the mailing list is required, it should be stated on
> the Gmane page,

Agreed... something like:

Posting allowed by subscribers only (click here to subscribe to the
nomail version of the list)

Does gmane allow this text to be cusomized like that?

> although there is no real need to dual subscribe and defeats the
> whole purpose of Gmane.

No it doesn't... you can subscribe to the nomail version, then use gmane
to read and post.

I for one am glad that posting is only allowed by subscribers. Imho
there was far too much noise on the old OOo lists due to postings being
allowed by non-subscribers.

Charles

bedipp bedipp

Re: List available at GMANE

Hi Larry,

Larry Gusaas schrieb:

> On 2010/10/09 4:36 AM Florian Effenberger wrote:
>> [...]
>> of course we do require subscription for people who want to subscribe to
>> mailing lists. Otherwise, we'd be the victim of spam very soon.
>
> Gmane is a newsgroup. They require verification of the the sender before
> they post the message. This serves the same purpose as subscribing to
> this list. Any senders of spam can be removed.
 > [...]
>
> If subscription to the mailing list is required, it should be stated on
> the Gmane page, although there is no real need to dual subscribe and
> defeats the whole purpose of Gmane.

For the OpenOffice.org mailing lists sending without extra subscription
via Gmane became enabled just four or five years ago.

I don't know about the background - perhaps someone here remembers...

But please let us establish our own infrastructure first.

In my opinion Gmane posting is an additional nice-to-have feature, that
can be improved, when time allows it.
... especially if there is a workaround (subscribe-nomail) ...

If someone is able to edit the status (to "Status: posting allowed after
subscription <[hidden email]>") this
would be great.

Best regards

Bernhard

Larry Gusaas Larry Gusaas

Re: List available at GMANE

On 2010/10/09 10:46 AM  Florian Effenberger wrote:

> Hi Larry,
>
> Larry Gusaas wrote on 2010-10-09 18.36:
>
>> Gmane is a newsgroup. They require verification of the the sender before
>> they post the message. This serves the same purpose as subscribing to
>> this list. Any senders of spam can be removed.
>>
>> It is redundant to require the user to subscribe to the mailing list in
>> order to post through Gmane. The page at
>> http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.discuss clearly
>> states "Status: posting allowed".
>>
>> If subscription to the mailing list is required, it should be stated on
>> the Gmane page, although there is no real need to dual subscribe and
>> defeats the whole purpose of Gmane.
>
> on our side, only senders who are subscribed to the list can post to it. I won't change this,
> as otherwise every spammer can just flood the list with emails.
>
> Florian

Allowing posting from Gmane without subscription to this list will not allow spammers to flood
the list. Gmane requires confirmation from sender for each list the sender posts to. Also any
spammer can be reported and dealt with.

Perhaps you should look at Gmane spam policy <http://gmane.org/spam-control.php>.
I have not noticed any spam on the lists I follow that has been inserted through Gmane. There
is no more likelihood of spam being sent through Gmane than through subscribing to this mailing
list.

I follow many mailing lists through Gmane, including several OOo lists. The first time I post
to any list I receive an email stating:

    "You have sent a message to be posted on the
    gmane.comp.documentfoundation.discuss newsgroup.

    Before the message is posted on the newsgroup, you have
    to confirm that you exist.  Just reply to this message, and
    the message will be posted."

After replying I receive a message:

    "You are now authorized to post to the
    gmane.comp.documentfoundation.discuss newsgroup.

    The original message you sent to the newsgroup will be
    posted within ten minutes."

Except this does not occur on this list unless I subscribe to the email list.

      Larry I. Gusaas

* Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan   Canada
Website:   http://larry-gusaas.com
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." - Edgard Varese *

Larry Gusaas Larry Gusaas

Re: List available at GMANE

On 2010/10/09 10:47 AM  Charles Marcus wrote:
> I for one am glad that posting is only allowed by subscribers. Imho
> there was far too much noise on the old OOo lists due to postings being
> allowed by non-subscribers.

Agreed about the noise. However that has nothing to do with Gmane. The non-subscribe posters
were not posting through Gmane. You have to be subscribed at Gmane for each list you post for.
This serves the same purpose as subscribing directly to the email list.

--
---------------------

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan   Canada
Website:  http://larry-gusaas.com

Larry Gusaas Larry Gusaas

Re: List available at GMANE

On 2010/10/09 10:49 AM  Bernhard Dippold wrote:
> In my opinion Gmane posting is an additional nice-to-have feature, that can be improved, when
> time allows it.
> ... especially if there is a workaround (subscribe-nomail) ...

That is not a workaround. The purpose of Gmane is to treat a email list as a newsgroup so you
do not always receive a ton of emails that you have to delete after reading or ignoring. A
newsgroup allows you to read only the topics that interest you rather than downloading every
message.

Why would I want to receive emails from this list when I can read and reply through Gmane's
News Server (NNTP) ?

--
---------------------

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan   Canada
Website:  http://larry-gusaas.com

bedipp bedipp

Re: List available at GMANE

Hi Larry,

Larry Gusaas schrieb:

> On 2010/10/09 10:49 AM Bernhard Dippold wrote:
>> In my opinion Gmane posting is an additional nice-to-have feature,
>> that can be improved, when time allows it.
>> ... especially if there is a workaround (subscribe-nomail) ...
>
> That is not a workaround. The purpose of Gmane is to treat a email list
> as a newsgroup so you do not always receive a ton of emails that you
> have to delete after reading or ignoring. A newsgroup allows you to read
> only the topics that interest you rather than downloading every message.

If you had read the other mails in this thread, you should have noticed
that the "nomail" option of the list allows to subscribe without being
sent any mail.

So why can't you accept this as workaround?

> Why would I want to receive emails from this list when I can read and
> reply through Gmane's News Server (NNTP) ?

You don't need to receive any mail. Just subscribe with "nomail" option
as described by Florian:
http://www.documentfoundation.org/lists/discuss/msg01130.html

Best regards
Bernhard