List of Web Hosting providers offering LibreOffice Online as part of their service?

drew-gmail drew-gmail

List of Web Hosting providers offering LibreOffice Online as part of their service?

Howdy,

The other day I was in a conversation with some folks on a social media
site in a Linux and Open Source group. The question came up about a
GDocs/MSO365 replacement.

LibreOffice Online was made as a suggestion.

A question came up about how much disk space a person got when they signed
up for LibreOffie Online. I explained that it was available as source, and
pointed to the CODE package at Collabora and that a number of hosting
providers offered the service.

I then went looking for a list of which hosting providers do so. I found a
few on the Collabora, mostly by scanning press releases.

I was wondering if there is a list being maintained anywhere of those?

If not then I would like to work on putting one together.

Thanks,

Drew

drew-gmail drew-gmail

Re: List of Web Hosting providers offering LibreOffice Online as part of their service?

just to be clear - there is a list available at the Collabora site:
https://www.collaboraoffice.com/partners-main/partners/

That is good, but it isn't really that end user friendly IMO. Click on the
one link and you are asked to fill in a online form for more information
and not link is offered to the actual host.

I picked one WebO and went to their site to find details on what is
offered.

Before I go further let me say I first did an internet search for 'Web
hosts offering LibreOffice Online' and got zero hits.

Alright so back to Webo. Turn out that on their site they only refer to
what they have Collabora Online and when they talk it they say that it can
work with documents for MSO and OpenOffice, they never use the word
LibreOffice in their web pages.

So I think it would be good to create a list that has some chance of being
found if someone searched for 'Web hosts offering LibreOffice Online' or
something similar.

toki toki

On 4/17/19 1:49 PM, Drew Jensen wrote:
> So I think it would be good to create a list that has some chance of being
> found if someone searched for 'Web hosts offering LibreOffice Online' or
> something similar.

A tutorial on setting up LibreOffice Online as a Digital Ocean droplet
or AWS Instance or on NextCloud would probably be equally useful.

jonathon

drew-gmail drew-gmail

Re: List of Web Hosting providers offering LibreOffice Online as part of their service?

Howdy Jonathon,

Well, one thing about that. The Collabora site offers appliances ready to
go and some decent docs on how to set them. What is missing, or maybe
simply that I've missed, is details about administration for an in house
cloud.

As for NextCloud so for every instance I've found has been as an addon for
NextCloud, which I think makes real sense, because from what I can see not
having NextCloud of something like it as a wrapper doesn't make much sense.

One source for information has been presentations from Micheal Meeks
primarily. For instance I just read over his latest presentation online and
it has some interesting slides covering load balancing (and references a
40,000 user installation along with the amount of computing power and top
level view of infrastructure architecture).

As for an administration guide for LibreOffice Online, that is something I
thought would be a good project suggestion for the Google Season Of
Documentation. Something that will come up again during today's
Documentation Team meeting.

Best wishes,

Drew

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 10:32 AM jonathon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/17/19 1:49 PM, Drew Jensen wrote:
> > So I think it would be good to create a list that has some chance of
> being
> > found if someone searched for 'Web hosts offering LibreOffice Online' or
> > something similar.
>
> A tutorial on setting up LibreOffice Online as a Digital Ocean droplet
> or AWS Instance or on NextCloud would probably be equally useful.
>
> jonathon

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: List of Web Hosting providers offering LibreOffice Online as part of their service?

Hi Drew, all,

Drew Jensen wrote on 4/17/19 3:49 PM:

> So I think it would be good to create a list that has some chance of being
> found if someone searched for 'Web hosts offering LibreOffice Online' or
> something similar.

Thanks for bringing this up :)
Three thoughts:
Initially, it can be a good idea. Maybe. I guess it can help grow
market. Maintaining lists, is often a problem we know. Especially
since... how can we find the new/existing locations?
Please note by the way, that there is Collabora Online and LibreOffice
Online. Similar function wise, but different in support probably.
Will it, when people know about it and start to search, ask at providers
e.g., have a stimulating effect?

greetings,
Cor

--
Cor Nouws
- volunteer https://www.libreoffice.org

drew-gmail drew-gmail

Re: List of Web Hosting providers offering LibreOffice Online as part of their service?

Howdy Cor, et al,

Yes about market share, the reason I thought it a worthwhile to help drive
(advertise...can I say that here) usage via hosting operators as they
should be a healthy source of 'food  [revenue] for feeding the bulldog
[paid development]'.

Also Yes, list maintenance is an issue.

Maybe come at it as a blog post consisting of a survey of which web hosting
operations are already offering Collabora Online (LibreOffice Online) with
some details of those offerings. This becomes a snapshot in time then
instead of a list needing update.

I don't know if NextCloud w/ Collabora Online is the only news which could
go in that article. As you say there is a difference between LibreOffice
Online and Collabora Online, so if there are organizations deploying
LibreOffice Online differently and some information could be had for
inclusion I think that would be a good idea.

Maybe not a bad idea for an online tech journal article either, just
saying.

Best wishes,
Drew

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 10:57 AM Cor Nouws <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Drew, all,
>
> Drew Jensen wrote on 4/17/19 3:49 PM:
>
> > So I think it would be good to create a list that has some chance of
> being
> > found if someone searched for 'Web hosts offering LibreOffice Online' or
> > something similar.
>
> Thanks for bringing this up :)
> Three thoughts:
> Initially, it can be a good idea. Maybe. I guess it can help grow
> market. Maintaining lists, is often a problem we know. Especially
> since... how can we find the new/existing locations?
> Please note by the way, that there is Collabora Online and LibreOffice
> Online. Similar function wise, but different in support probably.
> Will it, when people know about it and start to search, ask at providers
> e.g., have a stimulating effect?
>
> greetings,
> Cor
>
> --
> Cor Nouws
> GPD key ID: 0xB13480A6 - 591A 30A7 36A0 CE3C 3D28  A038 E49D 7365 B134 80A6
> - vrijwilliger https://nl.libreoffice.org
> - volunteer https://www.libreoffice.org
> - Member Board The Document Foundation
> - http://www.nouenoff.nl / https://www.mijncloudoffice.nl

Warren Camilleri-2 Warren Camilleri-2

Re: List of Web Hosting providers offering LibreOffice Online as part of their service?

Sorry for crashing into the thread,

For example i run my own systems, and would like to run and offer LO-Online
as i just found out about it from this thread and would like to try it my
self before i may recommend to educational and SME's (as best to answer
thier IT sections questions when asked), may someone refer me to the
documentation to host it? additionally i would me able to do artwork and
write ups if needed for this, in English and Maltese.

i may also blog about this on ossmalta.eu and ask if the local linux user
group would like to collaborate on this for the Maltese region for raising
awareness.

regards,
Warren.

drew-gmail drew-gmail

Re: List of Web Hosting providers offering LibreOffice Online as part of their service?

Howdy,

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 12:26 PM Warren Camilleri <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Sorry for crashing into the thread,
>
> For example i run my own systems, and would like to run and offer
> LO-Online as i just found out about it from this thread and would like to
> try it my self before i may recommend to educational and SME's (as best to
> answer thier IT sections questions when asked), may someone refer me to the
> documentation to host it? additionally i would me able to do artwork and
> write ups if needed for this, in English and Maltese.

First thing; If you have a newer version of LibreOffice then you already
have LibreOffice Online - the online version is the the desktop version.
What is different, the application would run headless and properly
configured work within a LAMP environment. There are some blog posts that
cover how to do that (I don't have links right off hand) but it would be
less then overwhelming if you just fired up a copy of LibreOffice from
within your LAMP server.

Second; the pieces that need to be added on to LibreOffie when running
behind your web server are delivered by marrying LO with a content
management system. NextCloud integration is a good example of this.
You can find information on that at the NextCloud webiste:
https://nextcloud.com/collaboraonline/ and you will notice that Collabora,
a vendor which is on the advisory board for TDF and which supplies much of
the engineering resources behind the effort, is who supplies the production
ready incantation of LibreOffice Online.

Third; if you want an easy way to test this, the Collabora folks offer
appliances (docker image for example) with both NextCloud and Collabora
Office ready to go. You can find information on that here:
https://www.collaboraoffice.com/code/

Finally, If you are going to look at deploying within your organization
then I would highly recommend you look at a support contract from a
Document Foundation Certified vendor.

Best wishes,

Drew

> i may also blog about this on ossmalta.eu and ask if the local linux user
> group would like to collaborate on this for the Maltese region for raising
> awareness.
>
> regards,
> Warren.
>
> On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 at 17:34, Drew Jensen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Howdy Cor, et al,
>>
>> Yes about market share, the reason I thought it a worthwhile to help drive
>> (advertise...can I say that here) usage via hosting operators as they
>> should be a healthy source of 'food  [revenue] for feeding the bulldog
>> [paid development]'.
>>
>> Also Yes, list maintenance is an issue.
>>
>> Maybe come at it as a blog post consisting of a survey of which web
>> hosting
>> operations are already offering Collabora Online (LibreOffice Online) with
>> some details of those offerings. This becomes a snapshot in time then
>> instead of a list needing update.
>>
>> I don't know if NextCloud w/ Collabora Online is the only news which could
>> go in that article. As you say there is a difference between LibreOffice
>> Online and Collabora Online, so if there are organizations deploying
>> LibreOffice Online differently and some information could be had for
>> inclusion I think that would be a good idea.
>>
>> Maybe not a bad idea for an online tech journal article either, just
>> saying.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> Drew
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 10:57 AM Cor Nouws <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Drew, all,

>> > being
>> or
>> >
>> > Thanks for bringing this up :)
>> > Three thoughts:
>> > Initially, it can be a good idea. Maybe. I guess it can help grow
>> > market. Maintaining lists, is often a problem we know. Especially
>> > since... how can we find the new/existing locations?
>> > Please note by the way, that there is Collabora Online and LibreOffice
>> > Online. Similar function wise, but different in support probably.
>> > Will it, when people know about it and start to search, ask at providers
>> > e.g., have a stimulating effect?
>> >
>> > greetings,
>> > Cor
>> >
>> > --
>> > Cor Nouws
>> > GPD key ID: 0xB13480A6 - 591A 30A7 36A0 CE3C 3D28  A038 E49D 7365 B134
>> 80A6
>> > - vrijwilliger https://nl.libreoffice.org
>> > - volunteer https://www.libreoffice.org
>> > - Member Board The Document Foundation
>> > - http://www.nouenoff.nl / https://www.mijncloudoffice.nl

drew-gmail drew-gmail

Re: List of Web Hosting providers offering LibreOffice Online as part of their service?

Howdy Warren, et al

In that last email I really should off directed you to the main website
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-online/

I think the links, bottom of the page, answer your questions.

drew

drew-gmail drew-gmail

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 10:06 AM FINCHHOST <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i think you can choose from nextcloud online provider you can signup with
> free nextcloud acount with libreoffice online available on it
>
> https://nextcloud.com/signup/
> <https://link.getmailspring.com/link/B9118473-1442-4576-8B4C-705D2E1E669A@.../0?redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fnextcloud.com%2Fsignup%2F&recipient=ZHJld2plbnNlbi5pbmJveEBnbWFpbC5jb20%3D>

Excellent.

Looking at it; Five preferred NC providers that's it, and doesn't
necessarily get you a free LOOL. I know because I just signed up at all
five.

One hosting provider included LibreOffice Online (an older 6.0 version)
with the free package.
One hosting provider provided LOOL via Collabora Developer CODE appliance.
The remaining providers did not include it in the free account but it was
available for a fee.

Thanks, that was a good lead.

Best wishes,

Drew