Logo/Website proposal

Heiko Tietze-2 Heiko Tietze-2

Logo/Website proposal

Hi all,

on the private marketing list a proposal for a new website and logo
design circulates. Originally it was presented at
https://www.behance.net/gallery/41702589/Libre-Office by Maxim Grekov
(CC).
The idea received quite positive resonance. The logo could be used as
a distinctive identification to TDF, and we need to check the design
against a large content (Martin Srebotnjak).
The last update to our own logo [1] is here [2], IIRC done by
Christoph (CC). And as far as I know it was KJ, who wanted to decide
on a guideline first, i.e. to have a certain size for instance
(believe the design proposal fits all demands). The task list [3]
contains the "Visual branding guideline".

Opinions?

Personally, I think it makes sense to have two distinct logos, but
those should have the same origin meaning they should look similar.
The proposal plays with this idea very nicely. (The L part could be
carved out a little bit).
White on black works well on mobile devices but not on the average
desktop. Although I configure my desktop in this way. Tough decision.

[1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Logo
[2] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/d/d5/LibreOffice_LogoImprovements2016_Ideation_IconsInclMotif.png
[3] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards

Anxhelo Lushka Anxhelo Lushka

Re: Logo/Website proposal

Hello Heiko,

I agree. The logo proposal was really good looking and seemed to comply
with LO branding guidelines, although the website part could receive some
changes further on.

A refresh would be nice IMO, but we need more opinions on this, if it goes
through we can present it with LO 5.3 release.

On Nov 16, 2016 11:10 AM, "Heiko Tietze" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> on the private marketing list a proposal for a new website and logo
> design circulates. Originally it was presented at
> https://www.behance.net/gallery/41702589/Libre-Office by Maxim Grekov
> (CC).
> The idea received quite positive resonance. The logo could be used as
> a distinctive identification to TDF, and we need to check the design
> against a large content (Martin Srebotnjak).
> The last update to our own logo [1] is here [2], IIRC done by
> Christoph (CC). And as far as I know it was KJ, who wanted to decide
> on a guideline first, i.e. to have a certain size for instance
> (believe the design proposal fits all demands). The task list [3]
> contains the "Visual branding guideline".
>
> Opinions?
>
> Personally, I think it makes sense to have two distinct logos, but
> those should have the same origin meaning they should look similar.
> The proposal plays with this idea very nicely. (The L part could be
> carved out a little bit).
> White on black works well on mobile devices but not on the average
> desktop. Although I configure my desktop in this way. Tough decision.
>
> [1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Logo
> [2] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/d/d5/LibreOffice_
> LogoImprovements2016_Ideation_IconsInclMotif.png
> [3] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: Logo/Website proposal

Heiko Tietze wrote on 16-11-16 11:10:

> The idea received quite positive resonance. The logo could be used as
> a distinctive identification to TDF, and we need to check the design
> [...]
> Opinions?

Do we have a problem that people mix TDF and LibreOffice?
What could be a good reason to think of a new LibreOffice logo?
How do we plan to manage such a possible change?

ciao - Cor

--
Cor Nouws
- vrijwilliger http://nl.libreoffice.org

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: Logo/Website proposal

Hello,

Le 16 novembre 2016 11:26:20 GMT+01:00, Cor Nouws <[hidden email]> a écrit :

>Heiko Tietze wrote on 16-11-16 11:10:
>
>> The idea received quite positive resonance. The logo could be used as
>> a distinctive identification to TDF, and we need to check the design
>> [...]
>> Opinions?
>
>Do we have a problem that people mix TDF and LibreOffice?
>What could be a good reason to think of a new LibreOffice logo?
>How do we plan to manage such a possible change?
>
>ciao - Cor

Whatever the outcome of the discussion is, please involve marketing, developers and generally the community - likely the Board too.

Best,

Charles.

inktrap inktrap

Re: Logo/Website proposal

I've been lurking on this mailing list out of curiosity for quite a while,
and I really hate for my first post to be negative, but I need to point out
that the proposed logo is the spitting image of the one used by Beats by
Dr. Dre, so it's probably not the best direction to take.

Another issue, although probably far-fetched, is the fact that Beats is
owned by Apple, and we all know how litigation-happy they are.

Heiko Tietze-2 Heiko Tietze-2

Re: Logo/Website proposal

The design team carefully discussed the ideas. While the proposal is really nice and very professional performed we decided to not change brand/logo/website for various reasons.

Thanks a lot for to all,
Heiko

On 11/17/2016 01:29 AM, D.S. wrote:
> I've been lurking on this mailing list out of curiosity for quite a while,
> and I really hate for my first post to be negative, but I need to point out
> that the proposed logo is the spitting image of the one used by Beats by
> Dr. Dre, so it's probably not the best direction to take.
>
> Another issue, although probably far-fetched, is the fact that Beats is
> owned by Apple, and we all know how litigation-happy they are.

--
Dr. Heiko Tietze
UX Designer