Looking for input form example...

Michael Tiernan Michael Tiernan

Looking for input form example...

I got asked to help someone solve a simple problem in a simple manner *and*
provide a steppingstone for someone to learn more about scripting LO.

Has anyone seen an example that is a form for taking simple input and then
outputs the form data in one of two manners, either as a simple text file
of the values of each field or as a "finished" or "print ready" page.

Has anyone seen anything on the LO web pages like this? Preference is for
an already existing example and not giving her a bunch of "go read webpage
______ and learn it from scratch" (I expect to be doing that for her/them.)

Thanks in advance for any pointers.
--
    << MCT >>   Michael C Tiernan.    http://www.linkedin.com/in/mtiernan

    Non Impediti Ratione Cogatationis
    Women and cats will do as they please, and
    men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. -Robert A. Heinlein
    Sorry for the unedited top post. Client forces it.

Noel Noel

Re: Looking for input form example...

Have you tried using the Report Wizard?  You may get a report that you can
use, or alternatively, you could modify it to get what you want.

Noel
--
Marion & Noel Lodge
[hidden email]

On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 at 07:56, Michael Tiernan <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I got asked to help someone solve a simple problem in a simple manner *and*
> provide a steppingstone for someone to learn more about scripting LO.
>
> Has anyone seen an example that is a form for taking simple input and then
> outputs the form data in one of two manners, either as a simple text file
> of the values of each field or as a "finished" or "print ready" page.
>
> Has anyone seen anything on the LO web pages like this? Preference is for
> an already existing example and not giving her a bunch of "go read webpage
> ______ and learn it from scratch" (I expect to be doing that for her/them.)
>
> Thanks in advance for any pointers.
> --
>     << MCT >>   Michael C Tiernan.    http://www.linkedin.com/in/mtiernan
>
>     Non Impediti Ratione Cogatationis
>     Women and cats will do as they please, and
>     men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. -Robert A. Heinlein
>     Sorry for the unedited top post. Client forces it.

Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf

Re: Looking for input form example...

Hi Michael,

> Has anyone seen an example that is a form for taking simple input and then
> outputs the form data in one of two manners, either as a simple text file
> of the values of each field or as a "finished" or "print ready" page.
>
> Has anyone seen anything on the LO web pages like this? Preference is for
> an already existing example and not giving her a bunch of "go read webpage
> ______ and learn it from scratch" (I expect to be doing that for her/them.)

Seems you are looking for connection database - print values.
If you won't use the Report-Builder you could do this in many different
ways through macros. I have written examples for form-letters with
textfields, creating bills with tables in writer ...

You could find these here: http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de/lo_hb_en/

It is a little bit older. The Base-Handbook isn't translated yet from
German to English and also more examples on my homepage are only in
German ...

Regards

Robert

Michael Tiernan Michael Tiernan

Re: Looking for input form example...

Thanks for e everyone's response.

I'm going to look at the pointers you've provided.

What I'm convinced they want to do (I know, not right tool for the right
job) is have a form doc that can be opened on demand, filled in by the
operator then printed. I'm being led to believe that they don't even want
to save it to disk.

They're just looking (it seems) to provide a way of forcing the formatted
output of some fields. It's not even critical, it's an exercise for them
and, as much as it pains me I'm letting them run with it to let them learn
from it.

Thanks for everyone's time.

Best wishes to all for the new year!

Robert Großkopf Robert Großkopf

Re: Looking for input form example...

Hi Michael,

> What I'm convinced they want to do (I know, not right tool for the right
> job) is have a form doc that can be opened on demand, filled in by the
> operator then printed. I'm being led to believe that they don't even want
> to save it to disk.

So could be the XML-Formdocuments are better for it. Have made a
description in German for it:
http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de/index.php?&Inhalt=xml_formulare

English descriptions you could gind here:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/File:OpenOfficeXMLExampleForm.odt

Regards

Robert

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: Looking for input form example...

Le 31/12/2018 à 07:23, Robert Großkopf a écrit :

Hi all,

> So could be the XML-Formdocuments are better for it. Have made a
> description in German for it:
> http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de/index.php?&Inhalt=xml_formulare
>
> English descriptions you could gind here:
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/File:OpenOfficeXMLExampleForm.odt

Definitely agree with Robert here, seems like an XML form would do the
job as the values can be output as a text file.

Alternatively:

Save the form document containing the entered values each time as
FlatODT. You'd have to wade through the verbose XML created each time,
but that might be OK if there are only a limited number of form fields.

Export the data filled form using XSLT into a format of your desire.
Unfortunately, I have no concrete proposal of how to do this other than
looking at the existing XSLT filters to see if one of them could be
adapted for what you want.

Alex