MS Office -> LibreOffice (compatibility problem)

Next » 123
Arda Tunccekic Arda Tunccekic

MS Office -> LibreOffice (compatibility problem)

Hi people.

Is this the place to get support for LibreOffice?
I work in a company that have more than 200 computers and I am trying to
migrate from MS Office to LibreOffice + Thunderbird. Uninstalling MS
Office and installing LibreOffice is fun but sometimes there are
problems that I can't find a solution (yet). I have a document (.docx)
that cannot be displayed properly with LibreOffice and because of this
MS Office fans in my company say that we need MS Office, we cannot do
business without MS Office.. I've installed
odf-converter-integrator-0.2.3, but still I can't see the graphic
inside. Where can I get support for this?

Thank you

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: MS Office -> LibreOffice (compatibility problem)

Hi Arda,

Arda Tunccekic wrote (03-11-10 09:11)

> Is this the place to get support for LibreOffice?
> I work in a company that have more than 200 computers and I am trying to
> migrate from MS Office to LibreOffice + Thunderbird. [...]

Migration in a professional environment. 200 seats ... I would simply
find local professional support.

Regards,
Cor

Stefano Fraccaro Stefano Fraccaro

Re: MS Office -> LibreOffice (compatibility problem)

     local professional support is the better solution. Uninstalling MS
Office is not a good idea if you don't have tested all possible cases
that happen in your company... and users need training. Try to convert
.docx in .doc (older Office 2000/XP file format) and try to open .doc
file. Works?
"We cannot do business without MS Office"... it's very fun, ten years
ago we do business with wordstar for dos!    ;-)

Regards

Il 03/11/2010 9.11, Arda Tunccekic ha scritto:

> Hi people.
>
> Is this the place to get support for LibreOffice?
> I work in a company that have more than 200 computers and I am trying
> to migrate from MS Office to LibreOffice + Thunderbird. Uninstalling
> MS Office and installing LibreOffice is fun but sometimes there are
> problems that I can't find a solution (yet). I have a document (.docx)
> that cannot be displayed properly with LibreOffice and because of this
> MS Office fans in my company say that we need MS Office, we cannot do
> business without MS Office.. I've installed
> odf-converter-integrator-0.2.3, but still I can't see the graphic
> inside. Where can I get support for this?
>
> Thank you

Arda Tunccekic Arda Tunccekic

Re: MS Office -> LibreOffice (compatibility problem)

Actually we are doing this conversion one by one and after installing
LibreOffice we are showing the user the most common tasks and they can
use it. Now LibreOffice is installed on 20 computers and there is only
this compatibility issue we are facing. And I don't know any
proffesional local support for LibreOffice around.

If the document is created with .doc extension, LibreOffice can open it
up properly.
If the document is created with .docx extension, you cannot see the graphic.
Any ideas?

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-11-03 05:07, Arda Tunccekic a écrit :

> Actually we are doing this conversion one by one and after installing
> LibreOffice we are showing the user the most common tasks and they can
> use it. Now LibreOffice is installed on 20 computers and there is only
> this compatibility issue we are facing. And I don't know any
> proffesional local support for LibreOffice around.
>
> If the document is created with .doc extension, LibreOffice can open it
> up properly.
> If the document is created with .docx extension, you cannot see the
> graphic.
> Any ideas?

Could you please put the document for us to download? Maybe we can help
if it is a small problem.

Marc

davidnelson davidnelson

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 17:07, Arda Tunccekic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If the document is created with .doc extension, LibreOffice can open it up
> properly.
> If the document is created with .docx extension, you cannot see the graphic.
> Any ideas?

Well, I know my suggestion is pretty obvious, and sorry for that, but
did you try just saving the .docx document as a .doc document on one
of the remaining MS Office systems?

HTH. 0.2 cents... cheaper than the suggested local support...

David Nelson

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: MS Office -> LibreOffice (compatibility problem)

Le 2010-11-03 05:07, Arda Tunccekic a écrit :

> Actually we are doing this conversion one by one and after installing
> LibreOffice we are showing the user the most common tasks and they can
> use it. Now LibreOffice is installed on 20 computers and there is only
> this compatibility issue we are facing. And I don't know any
> proffesional local support for LibreOffice around.
>
> If the document is created with .doc extension, LibreOffice can open it
> up properly.
> If the document is created with .docx extension, you cannot see the
> graphic.
> Any ideas?

Also, remember that LibreOffice is still Beta.

Marc

Arda Tunccekic Arda Tunccekic

Re: MS Office -> LibreOffice (compatibility problem)

Hi Mark,

These are the files, thank you.

Maybe feedbacks like this are valuable for LibreOffice?

http://www.duzen.com.tr/doc/i1.doc

http://www.duzen.com.tr/doc/i1.docx

I've tried to open the docx file with OpenOffice, it's the same.

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-11-03 05:50, Arda Tunccekic a écrit :

> Hi Mark,
>
> These are the files, thank you.
>
> Maybe feedbacks like this are valuable for LibreOffice?
>
> http://www.duzen.com.tr/doc/i1.doc
>
> http://www.duzen.com.tr/doc/i1.docx
>
> I've tried to open the docx file with OpenOffice, it's the same.

Thanks I'll give it a try too and see.

Marc

Phil Thane Phil Thane

On Wednesday 03 Nov 2010 09:50:01 Arda Tunccekic wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> These are the files, thank you.
>
> Maybe feedbacks like this are valuable for LibreOffice?
>
> http://www.duzen.com.tr/doc/i1.doc
>
> http://www.duzen.com.tr/doc/i1.docx
>
> I've tried to open the docx file with OpenOffice, it's the same.

Same for me too:

OpenOffice.org 3.2.1
OOO320m19 (Build:9505)
ooo-build 3.2.1.4, Ubuntu package 1:3.2.1-7ubuntu1

--
regards
Phil Thane

Bryn Villa
Penycoed Road
Llangollen
LL20 8LR
Wales (UK)

++44 (0) 1978 861677 (landline)
++44 (0) 7971 087623 (mobile)
Skype: philthane
www.pthane.co.uk

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-11-03 06:39, Marc Paré a écrit :

> Le 2010-11-03 05:50, Arda Tunccekic a écrit :
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> These are the files, thank you.
>>
>> Maybe feedbacks like this are valuable for LibreOffice?
>>
>> http://www.duzen.com.tr/doc/i1.doc
>>
>> http://www.duzen.com.tr/doc/i1.docx
>>
>> I've tried to open the docx file with OpenOffice, it's the same.
>>

> Thanks I'll give it a try too and see.
>
> Marc

Have you tried to open these on a Windows machine to make sure that they
are n fact .docx files? Just to make sure?

Marc

Stefano Fraccaro Stefano Fraccaro

Re: MS Office -> LibreOffice (compatibility problem)

Yes... Word 2000 open the file .docx but the second chart is on page 2

williamdrescher williamdrescher

On 11/3/2010 4:11 AM, Arda Tunccekic wrote:

> Hi people.
>
> Is this the place to get support for LibreOffice?
> I work in a company that have more than 200 computers and I am
> trying to migrate from MS Office to LibreOffice + Thunderbird.
> Uninstalling MS Office and installing LibreOffice is fun but
> sometimes there are problems that I can't find a solution (yet).
> I have a document (.docx) that cannot be displayed properly with
> LibreOffice and because of this MS Office fans in my company say
> that we need MS Office, we cannot do business without MS Office..
> I've installed odf-converter-integrator-0.2.3, but still I can't
> see the graphic inside. Where can I get support for this?
>
> Thank you

I am going through the same process in a much smaller office.
Once my users find LibreOffice they prefer to not go back to MS.

bill

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-11-03 06:47, Stefano Fraccaro a écrit :

> Yes... Word 2000 open the file .docx but the second chart is on page 2
>

> Il 03/11/2010 11.44, Marc Paré ha scritto:
>>
>> Have you tried to open these on a Windows machine to make sure that
>> they are n fact .docx files? Just to make sure?
>>
>> Marc

Thanks Stefano.

Stefano, if you create a .docs file on your Word2000, can you open it in
LibO?

Marc

mgagnonlv mgagnonlv

Re: MS Office -> LibreOffice (compatibility problem)

Le 2010-11-03 05:07, Arda Tunccekic a écrit :

> Actually we are doing this conversion one by one and after installing
> LibreOffice we are showing the user the most common tasks and they can
> use it. Now LibreOffice is installed on 20 computers and there is only
> this compatibility issue we are facing. And I don't know any
> proffesional local support for LibreOffice around.
>
> If the document is created with .doc extension, LibreOffice can open
> it up properly.
> If the document is created with .docx extension, you cannot see the
> graphic.
> Any ideas?

With 200 computers, you could look for a mixed environment, where a few
computers would keep Microsoft Office for compatibility issues. As for
your specific problem, I would suggest you use MsOffice and first export
the document as as .doc; then import it in LibreOffice. I have tried to
do so with Ms Office 2003 and its 2007 import filters and it works.

As long term solutions, if you keep a few computers with MsOffice, I
would suggest you check the option requiring the ".doc" format for default.

--
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada) -- http://mgagnon.net

Arda Tunccekic Arda Tunccekic

Re: MS Office -> LibreOffice (compatibility problem)

Yes, you are right Michel, we have a few 2007 licenses, I'm planning to
keep them installed for compatibility issues.
But then, there are some other non-techical problems like : "He has Ms
Office installed, I want it too" :))

We can use the .doc extension for this specific problem, but what if a
document like this comes from external sources.
Some of our users are already unhappy and unwilling to use LibreOffice
and I they can complain about problems like this.

I hope there will be a solution for opening this docx file properly
within LibreOffice

Il 03/11/2010 13.58, Arda Tunccekic ha scritto:
> Yes, you are right Michel, we have a few 2007 licenses, I'm planning
> to keep them installed for compatibility issues.
> But then, there are some other non-techical problems like : "He has Ms
> Office installed, I want it too" :))

This is a simple problem... tell the user "give me 300$ for your ms
office license, now and at every upgrade"   :-P

> We can use the .doc extension for this specific problem, but what if a
> document like this comes from external sources.
> Some of our users are already unhappy and unwilling to use LibreOffice
> and I they can complain about problems like this.
You can tell your external sources to send only .doc format or, better,
.pdf files.

> I hope there will be a solution for opening this docx file properly
> within LibreOffice

I hope so too

Stefano Fraccaro Stefano Fraccaro

Re: MS Office -> LibreOffice (compatibility problem)

Same problem... with Lib0 image is missing. Steps:
* created new file with 1 line of text and 1 png image
* saved document as nome.docx
* opened nome.docx in Word 2000 (content is ok)
* opened nome.docx in Lib0 (text line is ok, image is missing)

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-11-03 08:58, Arda Tunccekic a écrit :

> Yes, you are right Michel, we have a few 2007 licenses, I'm planning to
> keep them installed for compatibility issues.
> But then, there are some other non-techical problems like : "He has Ms
> Office installed, I want it too" :))
>
> We can use the .doc extension for this specific problem, but what if a
> document like this comes from external sources.
> Some of our users are already unhappy and unwilling to use LibreOffice
> and I they can complain about problems like this.
>
> I hope there will be a solution for opening this docx file properly
> within LibreOffice
>

> On 03.11.2010 14:52, Michel Gagnon wrote:
>> Le 2010-11-03 05:07, Arda Tunccekic a écrit :
>>> Actually we are doing this conversion one by one and after installing
>>> LibreOffice we are showing the user the most common tasks and they
>>> can use it. Now LibreOffice is installed on 20 computers and there is
>>> only this compatibility issue we are facing. And I don't know any
>>> proffesional local support for LibreOffice around.
>>>
>>> If the document is created with .doc extension, LibreOffice can open
>>> it up properly.
>>> If the document is created with .docx extension, you cannot see the
>>> graphic.
>>> Any ideas?
>>>

>> With 200 computers, you could look for a mixed environment, where a
>> few computers would keep Microsoft Office for compatibility issues. As
>> for your specific problem, I would suggest you use MsOffice and first
>> export the document as as .doc; then import it in LibreOffice. I have
>> tried to do so with Ms Office 2003 and its 2007 import filters and it
>> works.
>>
>> As long term solutions, if you keep a few computers with MsOffice, I
>> would suggest you check the option requiring the ".doc" format for
>> default.

I can see your dilemma here. It isn't really a problem with LibO but
more with the politics of change. Even if you (we) found a fix for this
problem, at the next problem with any incompatibility, the staff who are
fighting the change will again clamour for a return to MSO. It is
difficult to migrate from a MSO office to a LibreOffice unless all of
the stakeholders are onside.

Are the staff aware of the reasons for the change in office suites? You
may have to back over this with them in order go gain more of the MSO
diehards' confidence. This is normally easier done if you are doing it
for clear financial reasons. If all staff members are clear on the
reasons for the change, then having a few MSO stations not allocated to
a particular person but only to a desk, would make sense to them.

I would also, to add more confidence in the process, have someone
oversee the larger jobs that need to be sent back to a client, go
through a quality assurance step where the file is run through a MSO
station just to show that the pagination and document structure is the
same as you would like it to be. Just to instil a sense of confidence in
the LibreOffice suite and the migration.

I would also second Michel's suggestion that you standardize on the
.docx format.

Marc

Stefano Fraccaro Stefano Fraccaro

Re: MS Office -> LibreOffice (compatibility problem)

Hi Marc, I have found a strange behaviour. Steps:

1. In Word 2000 create a document with 1 line of text and 1 little bmp
image.
2. save the document as nome.docx
3. open the document in Lib0 (image is missing,
http://monteldvd.sf.net/_lib0.jpg ).
4. add from Lib0 the same image and save (overwriting the file)
5. open the file in Word2000 and... you find the text, the first image
(missing in Lib0) and a shape??? (http://monteldvd.sf.net/_word2k.jpg )

Il 03/11/2010 12.21, Marc Paré ha scritto:

> Thanks Stefano.
>
> Stefano, if you create a .docs file on your Word2000, can you open it
> in LibO?
>
> Marc

Next » 123