Mailing labels from mail merge

Carl Paulsen Carl Paulsen

Mailing labels from mail merge

I'm trying to build a set of "Avery 5160" labels to match the letters
I'm printing via mail merge, using the same spreadsheet data source.
When I select Mailing Labels as the new document type, I am presented
with a drop-down list of databases.  I've registered the spreadsheet
during the letter creation (though it has seemingly created the database
multiple times, as it shows me 4 or 5 options with the same name) but
when I select it in the labels dialog, it shows no tables and no fields.

Help!  How do I get the "registered" databases to show me the fields and
data?

The mail merge process seems to be pretty cumbersome.  Aside from this
problem, labels aren't created the same way Letters are, and I had to
search and try things for hours to figure out how to insert address,
salutation, and other fields manually (I don't like the address block
approach of the wizard).  The system seems to think my merge documents
are damaged, launching the recovery system every time I open them (see
my other post), and discarding the auto-recovery entries doesn't help.
This really shouldn't be so hard to do.

Carl Paulsen Carl Paulsen

Re: Mailing labels from mail merge

I was contacted off list to discuss this not long after I was able to
get the system to work.  See my reply below.  In short, I did eventually
get it to work, but I have no idea why.  And the whole experience seemed
a bit buggy.

First, I was able to build a merge letter with the wizard, once using an
address block and then, after some struggling, I figured out how to add
the merge fields directly and NOT using the wizard address block.  (Note
that system is not at all helpful when starting with a pre-existing
letter - it shifted blocks of text around and basically ruined the
letter formatting.)  But then I could not get that system to actually
merge the data into letters.  Somehow after closing and reopening that
file and de-registering and then re-registering the spreadsheet, the
commands for merging to document or printing showed up.  But even then I
was still not able to flip through the records to see how they would
appear in the preview.  I was able to merge the document to a file,
though, and then print that.

Then after similar stumbling around, opening and closing files,
de-registering and re-registering databases, I was able to get the merge
fields to show up for the labels.  I've now printed the labels.  But
again, I have no idea what fixed the problem, and am not at all
confident I can do it successfully in the future.

Mail merges are one of the most important aspects of an office suite
like this for me.  I really wish it could be made more simple and reliable.

Carl