Making a few web buttons

drewjensen drewjensen

Making a few web buttons

Hi,

Thought there would be a need for a few basic web button style images so
I put a few together.

http://oucv.org/libreoffice/images/buttons.html

I'll go ahead and do this each day for the next couple of days, moving
down the list of images in current svg file from the wiki and update
that page as I go.

If anyone sees one they think worth keeping feel free to move it to the
wiki, or poke me to do so - otherwise I'll just update this page as I
go.

Thanks

Drew

Document Foundation Mail Archives
bedipp bedipp

Re: Making a few web buttons

Hi Drew,

I move the mail to the design list ;-)

drew schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Thought there would be a need for a few basic web button style images so
> I put a few together.

We definitely need some - thanks for the work!

> http://oucv.org/libreoffice/images/buttons.html
>
> I'll go ahead and do this each day for the next couple of days, moving
> down the list of images in current svg file from the wiki and update
> that page as I go.

I think we should try to create and promote a consistent set of web
buttons, that follow our initial branding [1].

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to try the "contemporary logo" for web
buttons, as the improved shading might fit with the 3D effect of the
buttons...

As I'm still working on the mimetype icons, I can't contribute to this
task (including web banners too, by the way) at the moment.

But this task is one of the most necessary in design to help spreading
the word about LibreOffice over the web.

> If anyone sees one they think worth keeping feel free to move it to the
> wiki, or poke me to do so - otherwise I'll just update this page as I
> go.

I don't know if some of the buttons shouldn't be replaced.

Some look quite pixelated (might be optimized for clearer borders),
others (like libo_tdf_enh_bvl-276x65.png) don't follow the branding
guidelines, as "The Document Foundation" is part of the logo and
shouldn't be modified either.

Best regards

Bernhard

PS: If you want to, please move them to the wiki (and link them from the
branding/ideas page [2]) together with their SVG sources, so we can take
them as basis for our official button set.

[1]: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding
[2]: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding/Ideas

Danishka Navin Danishka Navin

Re: Making a few web buttons

apart from the Official, Formal Button we need some cool stuff for the
community
for example; http://www.spreadfirefox.com/affiliates#getbuttons

we can publish a javascript to the community before LibreOffice 3.3 final
release if we finalized a download button.

we could do the count down for the release using the same :)

for example: Fedora
http://fedoraproject.org/static/js/release-counter-ext.js?lang=en

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 7:10 PM, Bernhard Dippold <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Drew,
>
> I move the mail to the design list ;-)
>
> drew schrieb:
>
>  Hi,
>>
>> Thought there would be a need for a few basic web button style images so
>> I put a few together.
>>

> We definitely need some - thanks for the work!
>

>> http://oucv.org/libreoffice/images/buttons.html
>>
>> I'll go ahead and do this each day for the next couple of days, moving
>> down the list of images in current svg file from the wiki and update
>> that page as I go.
>>

> I think we should try to create and promote a consistent set of web
> buttons, that follow our initial branding [1].
>
> Perhaps it would be worthwhile to try the "contemporary logo" for web
> buttons, as the improved shading might fit with the 3D effect of the
> buttons...
>
> As I'm still working on the mimetype icons, I can't contribute to this task
> (including web banners too, by the way) at the moment.
>
> But this task is one of the most necessary in design to help spreading the
> word about LibreOffice over the web.
>

>> If anyone sees one they think worth keeping feel free to move it to the
>> wiki, or poke me to do so - otherwise I'll just update this page as I
>> go.
>>

> I don't know if some of the buttons shouldn't be replaced.
>
> Some look quite pixelated (might be optimized for clearer borders), others
> (like libo_tdf_enh_bvl-276x65.png) don't follow the branding guidelines, as
> "The Document Foundation" is part of the logo and shouldn't be modified
> either.
>
> Best regards
>
> Bernhard
>
> PS: If you want to, please move them to the wiki (and link them from the
> branding/ideas page [2]) together with their SVG sources, so we can take
> them as basis for our official button set.
>
> [1]: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding
> [2]: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding/Ideas

Danishka Navin
http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/danishkanavin
http://identi.ca/danishka

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Making a few web buttons

Hi Drew, Bernhard, :-)

The buttons I envision needing by Monday would be as follows:

1) Button for a link to the Planet RSS feed;
2) Button for a link to the Blog RSS feed;
3) Button for a link to the LibO Twitter page;
4) Button for a link to the #documentfoundation IRC;
5) Button for a link to the #libreoffice IRC;
6) Button for a link to the "Get Involved" page;
7) Button for a link to the documentfoundation.org site;
8) Button for a link to the "Features" page;
9) Button for a link to the "Get Help" page.

My recommendation would be:

1) have the above buttons in .png format (with source files from Gimp
or Inkscape, or just .svg files);
2) make them no wider than 150px or (max) 200px (no particular
constraints for height, except all should be the same height);
3) consider not having the text embedded in the button, but placed on
top via HTML and CSS (although a submission could include both, so
that I can make a choice when doing the page);
4) comply with the marketing/design colors and guidelines.

If you feel like taking on this task on Sunday or Monday, it would be
great. If you don't have time then no problem and I will do it myself.

(Just for info, following today's SC meeting, I have a remit to work
on the site pages by myself until Tuesday, implementing the ideas I
worked on with Italo. On Tuesday, I present/content the site to the
website team/world for comments, for 24 hours, and then I take account
of those comments within 24 hours, before handing back the site to the
marketing/design/website teams. The target is to have the site
theoretically [and effectively] ready to roll out by Thursday.)

What do you think?

David Nelson

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: [libreoffice-design] Re: [libreoffice-marketing] Making a few web buttons

Hi Drew, :-)

> Some grahpics for use on LibreOffice specific web pages - License for these is CC3 http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

Are you requiring attribution, or can your work be used without?

David Nelson

drewjensen drewjensen

Re: Making a few web buttons

On Sat, 2010-12-11 at 14:40 +0100, Bernhard Dippold wrote:
> I don't know if some of the buttons shouldn't be replaced.
>
> Some look quite pixelated (might be optimized for clearer borders),
> others (like libo_tdf_enh_bvl-276x65.png) don't follow the branding
> guidelines, as "The Document Foundation" is part of the logo and
> shouldn't be modified either.

Hi Bernhard

Actually when coming back to this, just now, my first thought was to
toss them all - which was pretty much my thought earlier and why just a
link to the files and not placing them on the wikik.

Anyway - you may see this email tonight, looking at the clock, the next
one will be a set from the Cotemp. design (per my last email), most
likely you won't see that till it's AM in your local.

Again - I'll just put a link page up as I did last time.

drewjensen drewjensen

On Sun, 2010-12-12 at 02:37 +0800, David Nelson wrote:
> Hi Drew, :-)
>
> > Some grahpics for use on LibreOffice specific web pages - License for these is CC3 http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
>
> Are you requiring attribution, or can your work be used without?

Hi David,

not normally - I didn't really want that crop going off into the wild
however, but did want to flash it up for people to comment on.

Drew

Document Foundation Mail Archives
drewjensen drewjensen

Re: Making a few web buttons

On Sun, 2010-12-12 at 02:23 +0800, David Nelson wrote:

> ) Button for a link to the Planet RSS feed;
> 2) Button for a link to the Blog RSS feed;
> 3) Button for a link to the LibO Twitter page;
> 4) Button for a link to the #documentfoundation IRC;
> 5) Button for a link to the #libreoffice IRC;
> 6) Button for a link to the "Get Involved" page;
> 7) Button for a link to the documentfoundation.org site;
> 8) Button for a link to the "Features" page;
> 9) Button for a link to the "Get Help" page.
>
> My recommendation would be:
>
> 1) have the above buttons in .png format (with source files from Gimp
> or Inkscape, or just .svg files);
> 2) make them no wider than 150px or (max) 200px (no particular
> constraints for height, except all should be the same height);
> 3) consider not having the text embedded in the button, but placed on
> top via HTML and CSS (although a submission could include both, so
> that I can make a choice when doing the page);
> 4) comply with the marketing/design colors and guidelines.
>
> If you feel like taking on this task on Sunday or Monday, it would be
> great. If you don't have time then no problem and I will do it
> myself.

Hi David,

After another run at just logos I'll put together a quick set from the
list above and put up a page with links for review (just the basic
grahpic style, not with an CSS..for tonight).

Tomorrow I can be on IRC and work on this most all day, time wise, so
could turn around a real set of graphics with your feedback I would
think. I haven't actually done the style using CSS for the text, have
seen it explained in a couple of cookbook articles. I can give it a go,
don't feel bad if you have to correct me on technique there, it won't
bother me.

ALso - I just now signed up for the Design mailing list - so next email
on this will be there. OK

Drew

Document Foundation Mail Archives
davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Making a few web buttons

Hi Drew, :-)

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 05:01, drew <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> After another run at just logos I'll put together a quick set from the
> list above and put up a page with links for review (just the basic
> grahpic style, not with an CSS..for tonight).
>
> Tomorrow I can be on IRC and work on this most all day, time wise, so
> could turn around a real set of graphics with your feedback I would
> think. I haven't actually done the style using CSS for the text, have
> seen it explained in a couple of cookbook articles. I can give it a go,
> don't feel bad if you have to correct me on technique there, it won't
> bother me.
>
> ALso - I just now signed up for the Design mailing list - so next email
> on this will be there. OK
>
> Drew

That's really cool, Drew, thanks. I will make sure I'm on the
#documentfoundation IRC. We can also do Skype, if you prefer - then we
could do voice and probably communicate faster... Either way, just
buzz me when you're around. ;-)

David Nelson

drewjensen drewjensen

Re: Making a few web buttons

On Sun, 2010-12-12 at 06:37 +0800, David Nelson wrote:
> We can also do Skype, if you prefer

I wish I could - for some I just can't - at least not reliably, it's all
about the up-link my carrier offers...

Anyway - maybe I'll give it one more try.

Till later then,