Master Document: Insert pages into ToC without visible Headers

Brooks Brooks

Master Document: Insert pages into ToC without visible Headers

Hi all,

In my Master Document I have a couple of Appendices.
One of the appendices is a bunch of scores, rendered as 'png's.
These scores take up the whole page, and I don't want them to have headers
(all the info is already on the score/png.

I would like these scores/png's to have titles and page numbers in the ToC
- how can I do this please?

Many thanks in advance,

Julian

TomD TomD

Re: Master Document: Insert pages into ToC without visible Headers

Hi :)
I think you can just click into the ToC and edit as you like.  If you do
add text in there it might be a good idea to keep a copy of that text
outside the document somewhere because when/if you "update" the ToC from
the right-click menu then it reverts to the standard layout again.

Good luck!

On 11 October 2016 at 13:53, Julian Brooks <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In my Master Document I have a couple of Appendices.
> One of the appendices is a bunch of scores, rendered as 'png's.
> These scores take up the whole page, and I don't want them to have headers
> (all the info is already on the score/png.
>
> I would like these scores/png's to have titles and page numbers in the ToC
> - how can I do this please?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Julian

Brooks Brooks

Re: Master Document: Insert pages into ToC without visible Headers

Thanks Tom,

Top tip.

Anyway of making it persistent?

TomD TomD

Re: Master Document: Insert pages into ToC without visible Headers

Hi :)
Nope.  Not that i know of.  Hence why i find it important to save the extra
text (and formatting if possible - and i am not sure how to handle creating
links tbh) in a separated document.

Apols and regards from
Tom :)

On 11 October 2016 at 17:23, Julian Brooks <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Tom,
>
> Top tip.
>
> Anyway of making it persistent?
>
> On 11 October 2016 at 16:46, Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi :)
>> I think you can just click into the ToC and edit as you like.  If you do
>> add text in there it might be a good idea to keep a copy of that text
>> outside the document somewhere because when/if you "update" the ToC from
>> the right-click menu then it reverts to the standard layout again.
>>
>> Good luck!
>> Regards from
>> Tom :)
>>

>> On 11 October 2016 at 13:53, Julian Brooks <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> In my Master Document I have a couple of Appendices.
>>> One of the appendices is a bunch of scores, rendered as 'png's.
>>> These scores take up the whole page, and I don't want them to have
>>> headers
>>> (all the info is already on the score/png.
>>>
>>> I would like these scores/png's to have titles and page numbers in the
>>> ToC
>>> - how can I do this please?
>>>
>>> Many thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Julian
>>>
>>> --
>>> deleted

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: Master Document: Insert pages into ToC without visible Headers

Don't know if this works for you. I just added text to a blank page
"Scores", header 1 style, so it appears in my TOC as "Scores".
I then added an image and set it to "Wrap through" and resized it to
cover the whole page.

The image sits over the text so you can't see it but the text appears in
the TOC.
Steve

On 2016-10-12 01:53, Julian Brooks wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In my Master Document I have a couple of Appendices.
> One of the appendices is a bunch of scores, rendered as 'png's.
> These scores take up the whole page, and I don't want them to have headers
> (all the info is already on the score/png.
>
> I would like these scores/png's to have titles and page numbers in the ToC
> - how can I do this please?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Julian

Regina Henschel Regina Henschel

Re: Master Document: Insert pages into ToC without visible Headers

Hi Julian,

Julian Brooks schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> In my Master Document I have a couple of Appendices.
> One of the appendices is a bunch of scores, rendered as 'png's.
> These scores take up the whole page, and I don't want them to have headers
> (all the info is already on the score/png.
>
> I would like these scores/png's to have titles and page numbers in the ToC
> - how can I do this please?

You can use an index entry, which will be invisible in the document.

* Set the cursor to a paragraph on the page of the image. It may be an
empty paragraph.
* Goto Insert > Table of Content and Index > Index Entry.
* Make sure, that for the field 'Index' the item 'Table of Contents' is
selected.
* Enter the desired text in the field 'Entry' and select the desired
outline level.
* Click Insert. I'm not sure whether you need to close the dialog before
entering the next entry.

When you insert the TOC or later edit the TOC, make sure that the option
'Create from Index Marks' on the tab 'Type' is checked.

That works for normal documents. I've not tested it for Master Documents.

Kind regards
Regina

Brooks Brooks

Re: Master Document: Insert pages into ToC without visible Headers

Thank you Regina,

That works a treat.

Steve, appreciate your pitching in too - I haven't tested your approach as
Regina's works perfectly (I started with the most recent message:)

Great stuff, thanks all.

Julian

On 11 October 2016 at 20:35, Regina Henschel <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Julian,
>
> Julian Brooks schrieb:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> In my Master Document I have a couple of Appendices.
>> One of the appendices is a bunch of scores, rendered as 'png's.
>> These scores take up the whole page, and I don't want them to have headers
>> (all the info is already on the score/png.
>>
>> I would like these scores/png's to have titles and page numbers in the ToC
>> - how can I do this please?
>>

> You can use an index entry, which will be invisible in the document.
>
> * Set the cursor to a paragraph on the page of the image. It may be an
> empty paragraph.
> * Goto Insert > Table of Content and Index > Index Entry.
> * Make sure, that for the field 'Index' the item 'Table of Contents' is
> selected.
> * Enter the desired text in the field 'Entry' and select the desired
> outline level.
> * Click Insert. I'm not sure whether you need to close the dialog before
> entering the next entry.
>
> When you insert the TOC or later edit the TOC, make sure that the option
> 'Create from Index Marks' on the tab 'Type' is checked.
>
> That works for normal documents. I've not tested it for Master Documents.
>
> Kind regards
> Regina

Paul D. Mirowsky Paul D. Mirowsky

Re: Master Document: Insert pages into ToC without visible Headers

Hello Julian

Have you heard of MuseScore: https://musescore.org/en

> About SVGs:
> You can export your score to SVG image format and import that into
> LibreOffice (=LO).
> If you want to split the multipage SVG from Musescore into multiple
> single page SVG-files you can use the
> Musescore SVG Splitter from the SVG-Tools:
> http://struckkai.blogspot.de/2016/02/svg-tools.html
>
> About PDFs:
> True importing of PDFs into LO really doesn't give usable results.
>
> But there is another way: Merging Score-PDFs into a LO-exported PDF.
> So while working in LO you don't see the content of the PDF but only a
> placeholder. When you export to PDF The score-PDF gets merged in.
> This requires the external commandline tool PDFtk installed and the
> LibreOffice document that you get here:
> LibreOfficeSongbookArchitect (LOSA)
> http://struckkai.blogspot.de/2015/04/libreofficesongbookarchitect.html

 From https://musescore.org/en/node/103821

While I have not test the SVG export, it would probably give you much
better appearance at varying window sizes.

Hope this helps.

Paul

On 10/11/2016 8:53 AM, Julian Brooks wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In my Master Document I have a couple of Appendices.
> One of the appendices is a bunch of scores, rendered as 'png's.
> These scores take up the whole page, and I don't want them to have headers
> (all the info is already on the score/png.
>
> I would like these scores/png's to have titles and page numbers in the ToC
> - how can I do this please?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Julian

Brooks Brooks

Re: Master Document: Insert pages into ToC without visible Headers

Hi Paul,

No I wasn't aware of MuseScore, thanks for the tip.

The score examples aren't PDF's they are PNG's, though I must say they
aren't as sharp looking as I would prefer.

LOSA looks great, more stuff to wrap my head around:)

Cheers,

Julian

On 12 October 2016 at 15:50, Paul D. Mirowsky <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello Julian
>
> Have you heard of MuseScore: https://musescore.org/en
>
> About SVGs:
>> You can export your score to SVG image format and import that into
>> LibreOffice (=LO).
>> If you want to split the multipage SVG from Musescore into multiple
>> single page SVG-files you can use the
>> Musescore SVG Splitter from the SVG-Tools:
>> http://struckkai.blogspot.de/2016/02/svg-tools.html
>>
>> About PDFs:
>> True importing of PDFs into LO really doesn't give usable results.
>>
>> But there is another way: Merging Score-PDFs into a LO-exported PDF. So
>> while working in LO you don't see the content of the PDF but only a
>> placeholder. When you export to PDF The score-PDF gets merged in.
>> This requires the external commandline tool PDFtk installed and the
>> LibreOffice document that you get here:
>> LibreOfficeSongbookArchitect (LOSA)
>> http://struckkai.blogspot.de/2015/04/libreofficesongbookarchitect.html
>>
>> From https://musescore.org/en/node/103821
>
> While I have not test the SVG export, it would probably give you much
> better appearance at varying window sizes.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Paul
>

> On 10/11/2016 8:53 AM, Julian Brooks wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> In my Master Document I have a couple of Appendices.
>> One of the appendices is a bunch of scores, rendered as 'png's.
>> These scores take up the whole page, and I don't want them to have headers
>> (all the info is already on the score/png.
>>
>> I would like these scores/png's to have titles and page numbers in the ToC
>> - how can I do this please?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance,
>>
>> Julian

Rob Rob

Re: Master Document: Insert pages into ToC without visible Headers

Using Musescore all the time for creating Choral music-
Musescore does have PDF export (and also MusicXML).

For me it is a very good alternative to commercially available software (e.g. Sibelius)

Best,
Rob.