Mastodon for native-language projects

Mike Saunders Mike Saunders

Mastodon for native-language projects

Hello,

Maybe this is something for the localisation list, but let's try
discussing it here first :-) As some of you may have seen, we've set up
a Mastodon account on the Fosstodon server for LibreOffice:

https://fosstodon.org/@libreoffice

We could do the same for other languages, like we have the LibreOfficeFR
and LibreOfficeDE Twitter accounts for instance. However! Fosstodon only
allows accounts and messages ("toots") in English.

If anyone is interested in setting up an account for another language,
let's discuss options here -- there are lots of Mastodon "instances"
(servers) out there, although I haven't looked at many of them yet! As
an example, this instance seems to be popular for many languages,
including German:

https://social.tchncs.de/about

--
Mike Saunders, Marketing & PR
The Document Foundation

Fabián Rodríguez-3 Fabián Rodríguez-3

Re: Mastodon for native-language projects

Le 19-04-03 à 10 h 35, Mike Saunders a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> Maybe this is something for the localisation list, but let's try
> discussing it here first :-) As some of you may have seen, we've set up
> a Mastodon account on the Fosstodon server for LibreOffice:
>
> https://fosstodon.org/@libreoffice

Hello Mike,

This is very good news, I also noticed it's linked among the other
social media on the main website at https://www.libreoffice.org.

> We could do the same for other languages, like we have the LibreOfficeFR
> and LibreOfficeDE Twitter accounts for instance. However! Fosstodon only
> allows accounts and messages ("toots") in English.

I wasn't aware of the language restriction :(

Mastodon works a bit differently and the expectation is not to have role
accounts but rather individuals, and organizations self-hosting their
instance. The web interface also allows to filter content by language,
see: https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/s/wFTikYtDXCJWLsH

@[hidden email] may be the exception for the main
organization for
now.https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/s/wFTikYtDXCJWLsH

I think encouraging current TDF members, LO members and
developers/contributors having their own accounts and posting to them
under #libreoffice would be the best approach.

As an end-user I don't want to follow a single language-specific
resource risking to miss other posts.

> If anyone is interested in setting up an account for another language,
> let's discuss options here -- there are lots of Mastodon "instances"
> (servers) out there, although I haven't looked at many of them yet! As
> an example, this instance seems to be popular for many languages,
> including German:
>
> https://social.tchncs.de/about

Is it feasible for TDF to host their own and provide accounts for
contributors on their own name and encourage its marketing/social media
contributors to post from there? Similar to how the Ubuntu project
provides @ubuntu.com email to contributors. Perhaps a commercial
provider like masto.host <https://masto.host/> could help in the short term.

F.

--