Material Color Palette

Heiko Tietze-5 Heiko Tietze-5

Material Color Palette

Short question: Shall we add another color palette to the list? Pro: Material is mature and state of the art (Andreas' wwords) vs Con: the list is right now bloated and there is no clear use case for material colors (some comments on the patch [1]).

So +1 for yes and -1 for no. My vote is -1.

[1] https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/75377/
--
Dr. Heiko Tietze, UX-Designer and UX-Mentor
Tel: +49 30 5557992-63 | Mail: [hidden email]

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: Material Color Palette

Heiko Tietze wrote on 7/11/19 3:23 PM:

> So +1 for yes and -1 for no. My vote is -1.

I only see 8 palettes - so why not 9 :)

+1

--
Cor Nouws
- volunteer https://www.libreoffice.org

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: Material Color Palette

Google's 'Material Design' color  tables from 2014 are sound sRGB based
efforts. Adding them as a built-in color palette  facilitates their use in
any of the LibreOffice modules.

Andreas' effort to fit them into our 12 column palette color picker--now
including the two Accent colors--means they will be correctly labeled as
colors when brought in from external materials also using the core Material
Design 2014 color tables. And imagine our builds for Android would put them
to use.

Just makes sense to provide this 'out of the box' for seamless use in
LibreOffice without having to load as an extension.

+1

--
Sent from: http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/Design-f1935996.html

kainz.a kainz.a

Re: Material Color Palette

there are now 6 color paletts installed in LibO
1. chart
2. freecolour-hlc
3. html
4. libreoffice
5. standard
6. tonal

chart is not really an color platte, it's there for charts in general.
LibreOffice has the branding colors and was used to generate marketing
materials for LibO so it's more an internal palett. html is an full palett
but the target is in general html stuff. freecolour-hlc is really cool but
has 1.000 colors so the average user may need some color  space background.

So in general there are the standard and tonal color paletts available to
do tasks for writer, calc, draw and impress. that was also the reason to
add material palett cause it's well known and you have a well designed
palett for drawing stuff in draw, make shape styles for impress or make
nice tables and charts in chart.

cheers
Andreas_k