Mb RAM / Gb disk space (MB/GB)?

suokunlong suokunlong

Mb RAM / Gb disk space (MB/GB)?

Hi,

on the "System Requirements" page, we have:
256 Mb RAM (512 Mb RAM recommended);
Up to 1.5 Gb available hard disk space;

This is misleading.
Mb = megabit, while MB = megabyte.
Gb = gigabit, while GB = gigabyte.

Thanks!

Kevin Suo

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: Mb RAM / Gb disk space (MB/GB)?

On 06/29/2014 11:47 PM, Kevin Suo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> on the "System Requirements" page, we have:
> 256 Mb RAM (512 Mb RAM recommended);
> Up to 1.5 Gb available hard disk space;
>
> This is misleading.
> Mb = megabit, while MB = megabyte.
> Gb = gigabit, while GB = gigabyte.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kevin Suo

I do not think that you can run a Windows OS on less than 512 MB
anymore.  512 MB is just too "slow" even for XP.  I try to give even my
XP systems 1-GB of ram, or at least when XP was supported by MS.  Even
the "low resource" Linux systems should have at least 512 MB to run the
OS needs and LO's needs.

We need to see what it the current requirements are for running LO on a
Win7 and Win8 system without it running at a snail's pace.

Maybe 256 MB for bare minimum,
512 MB for minimum recommended
1 GB or more preferred with current Linux and Windows versions.
I do not know what Mac systems require.

"They" keep saying that if your old XP system cannot support Win7
hardware needs, then "you" should try Linux Mint [16] since it has a
"menu button" in the tray instead of a "start button", so XP users could
easily get use to Linux Mint's desktop environment.  Well, even with
Linux Mint, 512 MB is really too slow with the "more modern" packages
like LO 4.2.x.  I have a 2000 era XP system [DELL Optiplex gx270] that
is now running Mint 16.  Had to upgrade it to 1-GB of ram [and replace
the dead hard drive] to get any work done on it.  512 MB ram made it too
slow to run LO 4.1.x or newer on it.

Tim L.

suokunlong suokunlong

Re: Mb RAM / Gb disk space (MB/GB)?

Yes that is what I mean. It's a typo.
MB != Mb, GB != Gb.
When the one was preparing that webpage, by saying it requires 256Mb of
RAM, he/she must be meaning 256MB.

On our zh-cn.libreoffice.org website, when translating we have already
corrected this, but on the english webiste the typo is still there.

Thanks!
Kevin Suo

于 2014年07月01日 21:36, Pedro Albuquerque 写道:

> Hi,
> should this be corrected? It seems like a typo (I think it's what Kevin
> means), not a size mistake!
> Regards,
> Pedro.
>
> Em 30-06-2014 04:47, Kevin Suo escreveu:
>> Hi,
>>
>> on the "System Requirements" page, we have:
>> 256 Mb RAM (512 Mb RAM recommended);
>> Up to 1.5 Gb available hard disk space;
>>
>> This is misleading.
>> Mb = megabit, while MB = megabyte.