Merry Christmas! - My present for you: test is gone, site went live :-)

Next » 12

Merry Christmas! - My present for you: test is gone, site went live :-)

Hi *,

Thanks to the great help and huge amount David did put into the site
in providing the initial content, the site is now live!
No test.* anymore, http://www.libreoffice.org is the way to go :-D

I again have to thank all the people who worked really hard in the
last month to make this happen. You really rock!

The work is of course not done, eye-candy is missing, and a revised
theme is in the works.

Merry Christmas to everyone, hope you & family are all safe and can
enjoy the holidays.

ciao
Christian

bedipp bedipp

Re: Merry Christmas! - My present for you: test is gone, site went live :-)

Hi Christian, all,

Christian Lohmaier schrieb:
> Hi *,
>
> Thanks to the great help and huge amount David did put into the site
> in providing the initial content, the site is now live!
> No test.* anymore, http://www.libreoffice.org is the way to go :-D

Thank you both very much!

David for providing the content in such a short time and Christian for
moving it to the main site as Christmas present.

So David's concentrated work has led to the goal we wanted to reach: The
LibreOffice website live as soon as possible.

> I again have to thank all the people who worked really hard in the
> last month to make this happen. You really rock!
>
> The work is of course not done, eye-candy is missing, and a revised
> theme is in the works.

Could someone please add a visible download button on the main landing
page as a first step?

People will not try clicking on the image if they just want to get
LibreOffice. And the NavBar entry will probably be not prominent enough
for them.

The button (from the TDF site?) could be positioned below the image
without doing any harm to the rest of the page...

> Merry Christmas to everyone, hope you&  family are all safe and can
> enjoy the holidays.

Merry Christmas to you, too!

Best regards

Bernhard

PS: Could I get publisher access to the main site please? Even if I
don't know how much I can contribute directly, there might be small
changes to do quickly ...

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Merry Christmas! - My present for you: test is gone, site went live :-)

Hi, :-)

WELL DONE CHRISTIAN!!! THANK YOU!!!

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 09:14, Bernhard Dippold
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Could someone please add a visible download button on the main landing page
> as a first step?

Yes, this will happen quickly.

> PS: Could I get publisher access to the main site please? Even if I don't
> know how much I can contribute directly, there might be small changes to do
> quickly ...

No, not yet. Please be patient a while longer, then you can. Please
let me get the site to a certain state first? Please also read the
mail I have sent you. ;-)

David Nelson

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 2:36 AM, David Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 09:14, Bernhard Dippold
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> PS: Could I get publisher access to the main site please? Even if I don't
>> know how much I can contribute directly, there might be small changes to do
>> quickly ...
>
> No, not yet. Please be patient a while longer, then you can.

Technically he can now ;->

ciao
Christian

Alexandro Colorado Alexandro Colorado

Re: Merry Christmas! - My present for you: test is gone, site went live :-)

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 6:40 PM, Christian Lohmaier
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> Thanks to the great help and huge amount David did put into the site
> in providing the initial content, the site is now live!
> No test.* anymore, http://www.libreoffice.org is the way to go :-D
>
> I again have to thank all the people who worked really hard in the
> last month to make this happen. You really rock!

Any incentive to have a Xmass theme header for the site. Nothing too
big but just something that is recognizable?

> The work is of course not done, eye-candy is missing, and a revised
> theme is in the works.
>
> Merry Christmas to everyone, hope you & family are all safe and can
> enjoy the holidays.
>
> ciao
> Christian

Alexandro Colorado
OpenOffice.org Español
http://es.openoffice.org

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Merry Christmas! - My present for you: test is gone, site went live :-)

Hi, :-)

@Bernhard, please hold off for the moment and read my mail?

@Chrisitian, please read my mail. ;-)

David Nelson

davidnelson davidnelson

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 09:44, Alexandro Colorado <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Any incentive to have a Xmass theme header for the site. Nothing too
> big but just something that is recognizable?

Sadly, there's no time for that work. We're lucky to have the site already. ;-)

David Nelson

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 7:45 PM, David Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, :-)
>
> On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 09:44, Alexandro Colorado <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Any incentive to have a Xmass theme header for the site. Nothing too
>> big but just something that is recognizable?
>
> Sadly, there's no time for that work. We're lucky to have the site already. ;-)

The theme is acorss projects and just adding a custom background might
do the trick.

> David Nelson

Alexandro Colorado
OpenOffice.org Español
http://es.openoffice.org

davidnelson davidnelson

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 09:49, Alexandro Colorado <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The theme is acorss projects and just adding a custom background might
> do the trick.

There's a lot of higher priority work in progress... please be patient
just a little longer?

I think you won't regret it. ;-)

David Nelson

Wolf Halton Wolf Halton

Re: Merry Christmas! - My present for you: test is gone, site went live :-)

It looks great! Happy Holidays!
Wolf

wrote:

>> The theme is acorss projects and just adding a custom background might
>> do the trick.
>
> There's a lot of higher priority work in progress... please be patient
> just a little longer?
>
> I think you won't regret it. ;-)
>
> David Nelson

sophi sophi

Re: Merry Christmas! - My present for you: test is gone, site went live :-)

Hi Cloph, David, all,
On 24/12/2010 03:40, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> Thanks to the great help and huge amount David did put into the site
> in providing the initial content, the site is now live!
> No test.* anymore, http://www.libreoffice.org is the way to go :-D

Thank you so much to you both, what a great work! :-) So the master of
the bots has also made dancing the site ;-)

I wish you all a merry christmas, enjoy your time and have fun with your
friends and your family.

Kind regards
Sophie

Thorsten Behrens Thorsten Behrens

Christian Lohmaier wrote:
> Thanks to the great help and huge amount David did put into the site
> in providing the initial content, the site is now live!

Guys, you rock. Hard. This is *awesome*!! :)

Many many thanks, and merry xmas to you, too!!

-- Thorsten

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-12-23 19:40, Christian Lohmaier a écrit :

> Hi *,
>
> Thanks to the great help and huge amount David did put into the site
> in providing the initial content, the site is now live!
> No test.* anymore, http://www.libreoffice.org is the way to go :-D
>
> I again have to thank all the people who worked really hard in the
> last month to make this happen. You really rock!
>
> The work is of course not done, eye-candy is missing, and a revised
> theme is in the works.
>
> Merry Christmas to everyone, hope you&  family are all safe and can
> enjoy the holidays.
>
> ciao
> Christian

Congrats Christian and David. Looks great and very much appreciative of
all of your hard work!

Merry Christmas to all.

Marc

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Merry Christmas! - My present for you: test is gone, site went live :-)

Hi, :-)

Christian has been really terrific with his patient technical and
moral support, and it was due to his dedication that the site actually
got rolled out before Christmas. He is a real team player, and we're
really lucky to have him with us. Once again, thanks so much for this,
Christian!

Merry Christmas!!! :-)

David Nelson

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: Merry Christmas! - My present for you: test is gone, site went live :-)

Christian Lohmaier wrote (24-12-10 01:40)
> Thanks to the great help and huge amount David did put into the site
> in providing the initial content, the site is now live!
> No test.* anymore, http://www.libreoffice.org is the way to go :-D

Thanks a lot to all ... and congratulations!

I have not been able to even look seriously at most mail, but hope to
find some time next weeks for the Dutch version of the site and get some
others involved.

> Merry Christmas to everyone, hope you&  family are all safe and can
> enjoy the holidays.

Same for you all. Enjoy :-)

Cor

Rimas Kudelis Rimas Kudelis

2010.12.24 02:40, Christian Lohmaier rašė:

> Hi *,
>
> Thanks to the great help and huge amount David did put into the site
> in providing the initial content, the site is now live!
> No test.* anymore, http://www.libreoffice.org is the way to go :-D
>
> I again have to thank all the people who worked really hard in the
> last month to make this happen. You really rock!
>
> The work is of course not done, eye-candy is missing, and a revised
> theme is in the works.
>
> Merry Christmas to everyone, hope you&  family are all safe and can
> enjoy the holidays.

My congratulations to everyone, and huge thanks to those who were involved!

A few notes regarding the download page:

1) Please rename Lithuanian from "Lietuviškai" to "Lietuvių kalba". This
wording fits better in the particular context.
2) The two drop-downs are of different height for me (Win7, Firefox 3.6,
Lithuanian base language, see
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/9219/dropdowns.png ). I presume this
is because of non-western scripts used in certain <option> elements
(Telugu in particular). Specifying height and line-height of 25px and
vertical-align: middle for select elements solves the problem.
3) The order of languages has been mentioned in the other thread, but
I'd like to bring it up again. Sorting by language name would be fine,
if it worked well, but it doesn't. If you just open the list and look at
it, you will immediately notice that about half non-latin languages are
at the top of the list, and the other half is at the buttom. This just
doesn't look polished or sane, so I'd like to suggest sorting by the ISO
code instead (and yes I know it was already suggested before). The only
alternative I see is to list all language names in English, but I'm not
sure we want it.
4) Again about the drop-down: I suggest removing the parentheses around
the iso code. It's probably not very commonly used, but textareas
usually support typing some text to focus an element. Naturally, I just
want to type "lt" instead of "(lt)" to focus Lithuanian.
5) I don't quite like the fact that the font in the drop-downs is
bolded. But maybe it's just me.

That's all for now. Except this: my warm season greetings for everyone!

Rimas

Ivan M. Ivan M.

Re: Merry Christmas! - My present for you: test is gone, site went live :-)

Hi Christian,

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Christian Lohmaier
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> Thanks to the great help and huge amount David did put into the site
> in providing the initial content, the site is now live!
> No test.* anymore, http://www.libreoffice.org is the way to go :-D

Congratulations, and of course, many thanks for all your hard work!

> I again have to thank all the people who worked really hard in the
> last month to make this happen. You really rock!
>
> The work is of course not done, eye-candy is missing, and a revised
> theme is in the works.

Could you please elaborate on this? I haven't seen any official
decision on the design list regarding this...

On a completely different note, I'm getting an invalid certificate
warning when I open libreoffice.org in Minefield (Firefox 4.0b9pre) -
I've uploaded a screenshot at [1]

Regards,
Ivan.

[1] www.patentpending.co.nz/libreoffice/LibOCertificateError.png

Re: Merry Christmas! - My present for you: test is gone, site went live :-)

Hi Ivan, *,

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Ivan M. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Christian Lohmaier
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The work is of course not done, eye-candy is missing, and a revised
>> theme is in the works.
>
> Could you please elaborate on this? I haven't seen any official
> decision on the design list regarding this...

Oh, I thought it was clear that the general view is "too much text",
not visually appealing enough, also it was made pretty clear that
people don't like the side-navigation as it is now (too narrow to fit
longer texts for example) and other minor things.
And AFAIK the proposals were sent to the design list already (I
probably should subscribe to the design list as well)

> On a completely different note, I'm getting an invalid certificate
> warning when I open libreoffice.org in Minefield (Firefox 4.0b9pre) -
> I've uploaded a screenshot at [1]

Ah, yes - I don't notice anymore since I added a permanent exception
to ignore this warning.

I'll ping cloph about getting a dedicated certificate also for libreoffice.org

ciao
Christian

Re: Merry Christmas! - My present for you: test is gone, site went live :-)

Hi Rimas, *,

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Rimas Kudelis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2010.12.24 02:40, Christian Lohmaier rašė:
>
> 1) Please rename Lithuanian from "Lietuviškai" to "Lietuvių kalba". This
> wording fits better in the particular context.

Done. (the list of downloads is regenerated every 30 minutes, so might
not be visible immediately

> 2) The two drop-downs are of different height for me (Win7, Firefox 3.6,
> Lithuanian base language, see
> http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/9219/dropdowns.png ). I presume this is
> because of non-western scripts used in certain <option> elements (Telugu in
> particular).

That's unfortunate resizing done by firefox. No such resizing done in
chromium for example http://frupic.frubar.net/17206

> Specifying height and line-height of 25px and vertical-align:
> middle for select elements solves the problem.

I don't really like this change, as it would maybe adjust the size for
western-script ones, but for those who cause the resize it will be
broken.
It has been mentioned on the german list already
http://www.mail-archive.com/discuss@.../msg01442.html

The big problem is that other fonts have a different baseline, thus
when you used fixed height, the text in the other checkboxes is pushed
halfway out of the box.
The different baselines of the fonts is also what makes a middle
alignment as you mentioned impossible.

> 3) The order of languages has been mentioned in the other thread, but I'd
> like to bring it up again. Sorting by language name would be fine, if it
> worked well, but it doesn't. [...]

For me it works, and ideally the user will not have to use it :-), but
I'll consider it.

> 4) Again about the drop-down: I suggest removing the parentheses around the
> iso code. It's probably not very commonly used, but textareas usually
> support typing some text to focus an element. Naturally, I just want to type
> "lt" instead of "(lt)" to focus Lithuanian.

OK

> 5) I don't quite like the fact that the font in the drop-downs is bolded.
> But maybe it's just me.

Why don't you like it?

ciao
Christian

Sadiq Saif Sadiq Saif

Re: Merry Christmas! - My present for you: test is gone, site went live :-)

Great job on the website David! Looks very professional and clean.

Merry Christmas to all!
-------
Sadiq S
staticsafe on Freenode
mailto: [hidden email]
http://staticsafe.me
http://asininetech.com

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Christian Lohmaier <
[hidden email] <lohmaier%[hidden email]>>wrote:

> Hi *,
>
> Thanks to the great help and huge amount David did put into the site
> in providing the initial content, the site is now live!
> No test.* anymore, http://www.libreoffice.org is the way to go :-D
>
> I again have to thank all the people who worked really hard in the
> last month to make this happen. You really rock!
>
> The work is of course not done, eye-candy is missing, and a revised
> theme is in the works.
>
> Merry Christmas to everyone, hope you & family are all safe and can
> enjoy the holidays.
>
> ciao
> Christian

Next » 12