Method advice requested.

Michael Tiernan Michael Tiernan

Method advice requested.

I thought that this might be a good place to ask this question which in
turn may help others.

I have a project that I'm working on and it occurred to me that there
might be a smarter way to arrive at a solution.

First, the objective is to write a "night watchman's alarm manual" for a
series of possible alarms that may be indicated on an annunciator panel.

I already broke up the document into a first section of "instructions,
why we're doing this, etc."

The second section is, one page per item of the annunciator panel
indicators. An example of an indicator would be something like
"EMERGENCY GENERATOR ON" that's the heading at the top of the page.
After that comes other stuff.

Now, here's the thing that I thought I'd ping this list about.... (I
assume I'm not the only one to ever think of this.)

I have, on one of the first pages, a table of people as "Name, Title,
Cell Phone, Home Phone" in alphabetical order. What I'd *like* to do is
on subsequent pages, under a particular indicator is the section of "who
to call" and I'd like to link specific people from that first list, to
the annunciator incident.

So, my "Call List" is twenty names A-Z.

I'd like it if the "EMERGENCY GENERATOR ON" list to have a specific
three from that big list done in a "linked" manner so that when the
phone list is updated (Maybe I get a new cell number) then entire
document doesn't need to be scrubbed for that information and the only
thing that needs changing is the first entry in the master list.

Graphically, the connections would look something like this:

Is this sort of thing listed/discussed in any of the existing
documentation? If so, can you provide pointers so I (and others) might
learn?

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks for everyone's time!

Michael Tiernan Michael Tiernan

Re: Method advice requested.

And I *knew* not to put a picture in the message. :(

Duh. Here's a link to the intended graphic:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0mb6v5w9z85d3rp/Untitled.png?dl=0

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: Method advice requested.

Hi Michael.
I use Fields for this purpose. Insert>Field>More fields variables tab.
Set variable, give it a name and set the number. Show variable to
display it elsewhere.
steve

On 9/16/19 4:38 PM, Steve Edmonds wrote:
> Hi Michael.
> I use Fields for this purpose.

Interesting idea! Thanks for that!